Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Weekly 30 min private shared with one or two other soloists to review/clean.
Jbhuff84

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #27 
1/2 hour weekly private to learn and clean solo. We may pick up more privates closer to the first competition. I've been impressed with how much daughter has improved with weekly privates. They started in September and our first time to do privates/solo. She has been practicing solo at home 2-3 times 2× week.
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We pay a choreography fee which includes 5 hours of private lessons for solos. These are usually broken up into 1 hour increments. Any further private lessons must be purchased if the DD/parent/DT feels more time is needed. Other than that, all competition pieces are run through at the end of rehearsals as time warrants. (We pay $60/month for Saturday competition team technique/core/rehearsal classes).
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My DD doesn't have any time to run her solo in the studio.  She tries to run it at home, turns out that she's more marking it.  At our studio, the solos are learned in 1 hour private lessons and then the dancers keep their fingers crossed that the teacher will let them run it at the end of team class.  Doesn't happen often.  I wish they were able to run them weekly.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I am really surprised at the number of studios that just teach the choreo and then leave the kids on their own to clean it.  Up here the studios are so concerned with their image that almost all studios have 30 minutes weekly all year long to make sure it looks it best at comp.
Billpayer2000

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Our studio does a monthly run through for s/d/t.  There's a chuck of time before classes start and they take turns until the time runs out. Our fantastic SO does this no charge, so we are always there because we love free class time!
MNDanceDad

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Forgive me as I am not familiar with the "competition" process.  My son is currently not competing.  (Will be switching studios to compete next year)  My only exposure to competition is Dance Moms TV.  So...am I to understand that kids DON'T learn new solos every week like on the show?  I always wondered how that worked.  Also, are there NO competitions in the Fall and Winter months?  Are they all concentrated in the Spring? 

If this is the wrong place for my post, I apologize.  I'm just trying to understand what to expect when my son begins competing after the switch next Fall.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Hi - 

Well I guess maybe some studios might learn new solos each week, but in general no.

Typically you will have a solo of a genre that you will use all season.  There are some that may even compete the same solo for two seasons (not typical).  A season is a "full year". ( Sept - Sept - for let's say Sept - Nationals - which is usually summer.)

Yes comps start up in September/October in the US - but the real season seems to be Spring - well even starting in January - through End of May.  Then in June - July you will see nationals.  And by the way - there are MANY nationals - each "brand" of dance competition typically holds a nationals.

What you may notice at some studios is one dancer (usually a stronger one) has multiple solos in different genres - for example a Tap solo, a Jazz solo, etc.  Every studio seems to be different on how they are offered etc.    Some larger competition focused studios have dancers in many dances - say for example 6-8 dances.  In that case they practice all the routines.  They would compete all the routines in a single weekend.

On dance moms - you may see them only highlight one of the dances (for variety each week) although they practice all of them and may compete all of them in a single competition.

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDanceDad
Forgive me as I am not familiar with the "competition" process.  My son is currently not competing.  (Will be switching studios to compete next year)  My only exposure to competition is Dance Moms TV.  So...am I to understand that kids DON'T learn new solos every week like on the show?  I always wondered how that worked.  Also, are there NO competitions in the Fall and Winter months?  Are they all concentrated in the Spring? 

If this is the wrong place for my post, I apologize.  I'm just trying to understand what to expect when my son begins competing after the switch next Fall.

Dance moms....not at all like real competition and not like a lot of real competition teams. If you watch the first 2 seasons you will see glimpses of real competitions. There are tons of kids on stage during awards. Judges adjudicate all the dances (meaning give an award based on a score) and there are usually top 10 or 15 scores given depending on the amount of competition there. There are often 3 levels of dances. Ideally comp team dancers spend lots of time in technique class learning HOW to dance, not just learning A dance...which is something the TV show glosses over. And clearly the girls stopped taking technique class often the last few years.

The only kids I have known to learn new solos in the process of a year are usually older children and it's during a lull before nationals or for a good reason.

Lots of studios are pay to play for solos and even duets. Some assign them for the year to only the best dancers. Meaning there isn't this whole "reveal" of dances that the studio picks weekly. You as a parent get to say what is going to happen, as far as what you want and will allow within studio policy. Each dance has a costume that has to be ordered months ahead of time and costs money, each dance has to be set and cleaned which costs money to the choreographer, each dance costs entry fees at each competition venue. Solos are the most expensive. The team jacket is something you buy when you make the team. Plus travel and hotel costs. I have legit met someone who didn't realize all of this cost money because the TV show doesn't really address it.

You never see large groups (10+ dancers), lines (17+ dancers), or productions (longer larger dances based on a storyline, often with lots of props) on dance moms. Or real hip hop or ballet. All of these are a real treat to watch when done right.

Our season starts in August with technique and strength building, dances start in September. They learn dances September-early November, with cleaning occurring in late November-early January. Dances are nearly clean and perfect for dress rehearsal in January. Our competitions are in February, March and April, and our recital is in May. We travel 2+ hours to compete so we only do 3 or 4, one is optional and groups rarely go. When the studio does nationals it's every other year and in June, and then our team is done with the season and off for July. (by the way, there are tons, maybe even hundreds of "nationals" and you could just consider most a glorified regional. In my experience most comps don't even care if you qualified at regionals or the rules are written so literally everyone qualifies or can pay a bit extra. It's all about $)

Anyway, poke around the board, if you have more questions ask. Competitive dance isn't at all like what it is represented on TV.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
There are a few convention competitions that come through my area earlier than what I'm describing above (JUMP, NUVO) but they aren't as well attended for the competition part. Studios will only prepare select groups and you often don't see many younger kids competing. But the talent is so much better than you would ever know by watching only that TV show.  Conventions are another thing that is just not addressed on Dance Moms.
MNDanceDad

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #36 
AWESOME info!  Thank you SO much for that!!
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Choreo is all handled in a two hour block. DD practices on the weekends, probably adds up to an hour or two on her own, and also has one hour blocks, once per week, with her choreo assistant. Knocking it down to twice in December for the assistant blocks. I won't put her in any technical privates until January, once she has the details down.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.