Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious.

My DD is 8, so I assume I would run it more than say, and older dancer.  But in general, once you have your choreography set for a solo - once a week?, one a month until 1st comp or through the whole season.

Also - I guess the difference too is after it's been cleaned - or getting cleaning sessions done.

Last thing - do you run it by yourself (or dancer by themselves) or with DT each time?

Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter practices her solo everytime there is a free room when she is at the dance studio. For her duos, one a week.

This is throughout the season
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
In general, solos are slowly built between October and January in a 30 minute session every two weeks.  By the end of January they're usually finished and then practice for 30 minutes every two weeks until the first competition.  After that they share a 30 minute slot weekly with 2 - 3 other soloists just to keep things moving forward but no real training happens and no changes are made to choreography, even if the judges had big complaints about a particular element.  That's my one really huge and everlasting pet peeve about this studio.  Everything else is good or at least survivable.  

Some senior solos are handled differently and learn most of their choreo in the summer and then get an open studio to practice on their own once a week - no teacher.  They meet with their teacher once a month for an hour for cleaning and any finishing elements.  

This cuts back on studio time the seniors will need in the fall so they can focus on school, get jobs, volunteer, etc.  
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We run it every other week for 30 minutes with a teacher. This is dd9's 1st solo, and she's been running it on her own at least once day for cleaning and smoothing transitions.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Weekly 1/2 hour private. 
amlmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD has a reserved 30 minute/week time slot to practice without her teacher. She can schedule time with her teacher on the weekend as needed (she teaches a class during dd's time slot). She is 15 and is very good about applying corrections and working on her own. She is done with choreo and has spent about 90 minutes cleaning with her teacher already.  
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
First studio was weekly 30 minute classes from September to May for choreo, cleaning and practice.

Second studio was weekly 30 minute classes from December to March for choreo cleaning and practice.  They also had a sign up sheet so you could book free studio time to practice on your own and it was highly encouraged.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Weekly for 30 minutes. Every other week is counted as a "private". So we are charged for it. But at the end of the day, a solo gets 30 minutes weekly from September until the end of season.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
30 minutes every other week starting in October. Choreo is usually complete by January. Starting in late February before comps start, it usually turns into share time with the S/D/T or small group that runs on your opposite week.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
30 minute private lesson weekly. Goes through to the end of May, so for this year my DD will have one less left after our last comp so she can hear/watch the adjudicators comments. 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Weekly as a part of her private lesson
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My DD has a weekly 30 minute private to rehearse her solo. 
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Weekly, half hour privates to learn and clean from oct to comps start.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter has an hour long weekly ballet private and 45 minutes with the SO every other week.  She works on her two ballet variations in her ballet private and in her private with the SO she works on her contemporary plus anything else the SO wants her to work on.
Rydancer24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
weekly 30 min private...  the good teachers will work on strengthening some weaknesses once solo is cleaned and learned... we have had some teachers just talk for 20 min of the private and have her run it 3 times.  makes me mad!  
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydancer24
weekly 30 min private...  the good teachers will work on strengthening some weaknesses once solo is cleaned and learned... we have had some teachers just talk for 20 min of the private and have her run it 3 times.  makes me mad!  

Yikes!
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We did 3 hours of ‘choreo’, ok, well, I booked 3 hours of room for it but she learned the whole thing before that 3 hours (over 2 days) was up. After that, I booked 1.5-2 hours a week for a few weeks. Now that it has been completed and mostly cleaned, we book 30 min 2 times a month or so with her choreographer. We are meeting with the studio owner sometime over the next week for an hour or hour and a half for her to see it and clean/work on it.

We run it at home and anytime there is free studio space a few times on our own.

As often as we can meet with our choreographer, we do, i paid one fee upfront for unlimited privates with her for the season.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We’ve had the range of once it’s done running it when they have the time which is rare or a half hour every other week. Always running it at home with me watching and helping with (pointe feet, timing seems off, little things)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
At my DD16's competition studio, she has a half hour private every week.  My DD13 has 5 solos this year and she does 2 hour privates every other week (alternating) with her Bulgarian and Russian teachers and then at the studio she runs them at least once every day and then has a private with the SO on Sunday afternoons.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I have to admit being a bit jealous as I read through this. DD doesn't compete, so her solos have all been part of Nutcracker or other productions. She would love to have as much time as some of your kids get. At this point, she doesn't have her choreography for most of her part this year, as it's new and being set on her. The shows are about 6 weeks away now...
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldancer17
I have to admit being a bit jealous as I read through this. DD doesn't compete, so her solos have all been part of Nutcracker or other productions. She would love to have as much time as some of your kids get. At this point, she doesn't have her choreography for most of her part this year, as it's new and being set on her. The shows are about 6 weeks away now...

I find it very interesting to understand how much time everyone gets.  I will say personally (my DD was 7 last year, so grain of salt) that for my daughter the solo time most certainly improved her skillset.  You wouldn't recognize her from the beginning to the end of the season. Her comp team mates and her rec level peers (she dances in those classes too) have improved of course, but I do think her personal gains have been due to this one on one time. 

Also being only 1 year into this process it is interesting to see the regular intervals to keep the dances clean - which honestly from this thread is more frequent than I expected.  Well, okay, I thought we were going so much because my DD was young, but I guess we are typical. [smile]

Thanks everyone!
jamquint1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
40 minute private weekly for solo. My DS and DD (ages 8 and 7) run their solos at home 4-5 times on days when we are not at the studio, which is about four days weekly. 
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
30mins weekly with the choreographer which was also the SO from Jan until they finish the dance, then to run it weekly for a few times with whoever teachers they assign till the end of all comps.
pookaprincess

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Our studio doesn't do privates for solos after choreo is set. Maybe if the parent thinks to ask for one. But not weekly/monthly/anything. They can run on their own if there is an empty room and before the first comp we have a rehearsal to run all comp dances including s/d/t
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I've been thinking more about this and one silver lining that I think is true in DD"s case is that in the working world of ballet, she likely wouldn't have the luxury of months of cleaning and private coaching, so I guess at this point it's good that she's learning to learn quickly! If the technique is there, it becomes more a matter of internalizing the choreography and bringing in the artistry. But I sure would have liked for her to have had more personal coaching in her earlier years.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.