Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Bleeding usually happens when you are doing long rehearsals or long days in pointe shoes.  No beginner should be bleeding.  If they are, something is wrong with the teacher or the shoes haven't been fitted correctly.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I remember the fitter told my dd11 that she wasn't a ballerina until she bleeds...I think she must have thought it would happen pretty quickly. However, she's now been on pointe over a year and never bled. It doesn't generally hurt whatsoever unless she hasn't done it in a while or she is doing it a lot more than normal.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls
I remember the fitter told my dd11 that she wasn't a ballerina until she bleeds...I think she must have thought it would happen pretty quickly. However, she's now been on pointe over a year and never bled. It doesn't generally hurt whatsoever unless she hasn't done it in a while or she is doing it a lot more than normal.

Well, she (the fitter) is actually right.  I could post some photos here that will make you want to barf, because my dd sends me disgusting feet pictures often. (I'll spare you all....today.[smile])  I've been able to see blood on dd's tights on stage during Nutcracker. 

But it should never be happening to a beginner who is just getting pointe shoes. 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Yeah, but all the girls she told it to took it to mean it would be soon! Haha. They didn't realize she was telling them that getting pointe shoes alone does not a ballerina make, but she did make it sound like she thought it would happen to them sooner rather than later so they all waited anxiously for their turn to have bloody feet. Which--now that I have typed it out--sounds kind of twisted!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls
Yeah, but all the girls she told it to took it to mean it would be soon! Haha. They didn't realize she was telling them that getting pointe shoes alone does not a ballerina make, but she did make it sound like she thought it would happen to them sooner rather than later so they all waited anxiously for their turn to have bloody feet. Which--now that I have typed it out--sounds kind of twisted!

LOL!!  Serious ballet is a little twisted...
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
DD is a couple months into her second year of pointe.  She has pointe classes 3 hours a week and a yagp lesson.  Over the summer, there were daily pointe classes at summer intensive.  So far, two blisters, one quite small, and another on the back of her heel from trying to wear an outgrown pair of pointe shoes one more time to get a little more wear out of them.  (That one was my fault.)  On another topic, I was able to modify the outgrown pairs (there were 2 that she was rotating) so that she was able to wear them for a couple more classes each before they totally died.  
Pilotdancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #32 
I know this is an older thread..but I had to post this somewhere anonymous as my daughter was told she can go to pointe this summer and she is over the moon. I can't say it in Facebook in case other girls in her class were not chosen and their moms read it ..I don't know yet, as they handed out envelopes that invited you or not...anyway......how exciting! I can't believe how hard all these dancers work, how
amazing they all are!
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Congratulations to your dancer Pilotdancemom!  Its an exciting time.  You will likely get a lot of unsolicited advice, and I can't resist:  take your daughter to a fitter who has a large inventory of shoes and make sure you, your dancer and the fitter have plenty of time and energy on fitting day.  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
That is so exciting!  And like dancermom128 said, there should NOT be any bleeding.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Definitely, no bleeding! And I agree, make sure you go to a fitter with a large inventory. My DD's old ballet/pointe teacher was terrible, but that's another story. She sent her to a fitter that DID NOT know what she was doing. Since DD was new to pointe at the time, and I had never taken dance, neither of us knew that her pointe shoes fit incorrectly or that she had a pretty small inventory(we thought it was a lot, but it really wasn't). Long story short, this lead to a foot injury. Just PLEASE go to a fitter that knows what they are doing, you'll be glad you did! Congratulations to your DD!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.