Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Dancemom119

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone give some advice on what to do with all these old dance costumes I have. I would love to keep them but they are over taking my house.
threedancingdaughters

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We keep ours in the spare bedroom closet. The girls sometimes use for their dance comps they pretend to have at home. My girls are still young, oldest is 9, so we really only have about a dozen costumes that aren't in use. If they continue with dance and we end up with tons, it'll either be the entire spare closet or clear plastic bins in closet or storage room above garage.
joriebelle

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
I have 4 daughters that dance or have danced.  There are only so many costumes you can have.  We keep the favorites and get rid of the others.  I tried selling them on ebay with very little success.  I sold a few there and sold a few at garage sales.  Some I have just donated.  

The special ones we've kept but there are some ordinary catalog costumes that are nothing special or they just didn't like and had no trouble parting with them.  Especially as they get older.
dncemom01

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
I have them all stored in Rubbermaid containers. We plan on having a quilt made when she graduates.
RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My girlfriend vacuum packs hers and it sounds like the real answer.  She puts in a label with size and info and she can store several in the same amount of space I can store one! 
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD is now at a tiny start up studio.  We donated all of her old costumes to the studio.  One girl who's parents are financially challenged already used one for a solo last year.  Of course she had no idea that it was DD's old costume.

Now that DD15 has stopped growing, we will keep more so she can re-use in future years.  She also does musical theater so some might come in handy for that.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Ahhhhh, stopping growing....does that really happen?  How nice that will be $$$$$$.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Keep as mementos.

Sell on EBay or Gumtree.

Hire a table at the markets and sell.

Donate to charity.

Use of other things like school talent shows.

Pass onto family and friends who may find god use again talent shows, dress ups, solos etc.

See is the SO wants any, to pass onto to future dancers for solos etc.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I have sold a few on Poshmark. Sold a few on FB Marketplace. Some I keep to reuse or peel the gems off for use in new costumes. Lol
Anything that can be reused we keep like black hip hop pants, simple colored Leo’s etc....
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I’ve bought a couple of costumes from other moms at the studio for DD’s solo and trio. So I think it’s worth to keep a few of the good ones. Even as a momento. The rest I would either bring to a second hand shop or post online or give away to younger family members who could use them for dress up.
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
There is a wonderul organization called Travelling Tutus that accepts donations of dance costumes, leos, etc.  They distribute them to dance programs in low income areas that otherwise would not have costumes. They also send them to other countries where economic need is a factor.  It really is a wonderful organization.  I beleive they have a FB page.
Dancemom119

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you!!! This is exactly what I was looking for:)
2tinydancers

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Every year I collect costumes at our studio and donate to traveling tutus and heart to toes. They are great organizations that bless under privileged children and dance programs with costumes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.