Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Eisenhower Dance is offering a 2-week summer dance festival with optional housing available at Oakland University.  Has anyone ever stayed on their campus for an event or workshop?  Just wondering how much housing costs would be.  Probably wouldn't do it since we live less than 30 minutes away, but it would be a great experience for dd15.

http://eisenhowerdance.org/newdancefest-2/
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Registration & Housing Questions:  248 609-0371
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
There's something to be said about letting DD stay overbnight, and be totally immersed in dance
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpierremom
Eisenhower Dance is offering a 2-week summer dance festival with optional housing available at Oakland University.  Has anyone ever stayed on their campus for an event or workshop?  Just wondering how much housing costs would be.  Probably wouldn't do it since we live less than 30 minutes away, but it would be a great experience for dd15.

http://eisenhowerdance.org/newdancefest-2/

I agree that it would be a great experience for a 15 year old. Better for you since it's close by. You both would have that safety net of location. Maybe you could pop in one night with a real dinner. I loved my summer dance camps when I was young. Being with my team, totally focused was a great experience. Plus, it's great for them to experience campus life. A leg up on her classmates when it comes to college tours. For dance training, Eisenhower never disappoints. Keep us posted.

ETA, checked out the link. Would love to see the performance. DD does a summer musical on campus too. Performances are usually that weekend.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter is also considering Eisnehower this summer but wouldn't be staying. I'll commute her there and back every day. 
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I'll have to give them a call to ask about housing.  Curious about costs.  I do think it would be a great first time away for her - summer between freshman and sophomore year.  And yes, close enough to home to have that safety net.  She's more independent than the average kid, but still pretty sheltered overall.  I'll keep you posted.  Scholarship audition coming up on March 12th.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
She auditioned and received a small scholarship -- not much, but it helps!

Got the registration packet.  Room (double occupancy) at OU is $425 for 13 nights and the meal plan is $400 for 10 weekdays.  They dance every day 9:00 - 4:30, with weekends being lighter hours but still some.  She'd still have regular summer classes a couple of nights a week at her studio that I would have to pick her up for, but it's so close that it won't be an issue.  We may let her try it out and stay the 2 weeks just for the experience.
dancedream

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
You may want to ask how many dancers plan on staying on campus. A couple of years ago my daughter received a full scholarship to the Great Lakes Dance Festival that was held at OU. We live on the other side of the state so I inquired about housing. They said there were only going to be 2-3 dancers staying on campus because most were local. My daughter decided to stay with family in the area instead. 
Jinkerbelle

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD has stayed at OU for UDA dance camp with her school dance team. The dorms do NOT have A/C so bring fans and a mini fridge! I have heard really good things about Eisenhower program though and OU is a very nice and safe campus.
Jinkerbelle

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkerbelle
My DD has stayed at OU for UDA dance camp with her school dance team. The dorms do NOT have A/C so bring fans and a mini fridge! I have heard really good things about Eisenhower program though and OU is a very nice and safe campus.

Oh and the cost of the camp my daughter went to the housing was included and mandatory for the team. We also had to supply all towels, bedding, soap, toilet paper, etc.....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: