Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone! I am posting for a friend who is not a member at the moment. I hope this is ok.

Her son has been accepted to both NYU Tisch and USC Kaufman with nice scholarships. One school will be significantly less out of pocket for them.  This dancer's long term goal is to dance for a contemporary company and make connections in the contemporary world along the way.

Any information that you are willing to share regarding either program would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think they both will be beneficial in terms of connections, I think with all things being comparable, it's really on what side of the US he would like to live for the next four years and where he wants the majority of his connections to be made.  I am sure with both schools, the connections may be slightly more concentrated based on their location, but no all obviously.

I personally would choose whichever one would cost the least in the end, bc there are both comparable. I know USC Kaufman seems to be the "hot" program right now.

dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
It would be an easy choice for me, I would go to the school that would cost less. Even the most successful dancers don't make a great amount of money (with extremely rare exceptions like Misty Copeland, who makes most of her money through endorsements, book deals, etc.) and student debt can be crippling. Both are top programs in the world and he will get a great education and experiences at either choice.

The choice would be easy for DD for an entirely different reason, she is a warm weather girl, and while she loved the NYU "vibe" when we toured there, she hates winter with such a passion that I know she would rarely attend classes once the temperature dropped and would do much better living in a world where she could wear shorts and flip flops almost every day. Her brother is the exact opposite and refused to even look at schools in warm places, and is happily bundled up in Boston.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I can't really give input directly on either program.  I can say that hey are calling USC the Juilliard of the West Coast.  In fact DD knows many dancers over the last two years who have passed on Juilliard in favor of USC.  That said, that's not really the best reason to chose a school.  My DD, for example, hated Juilliard when she visited.  It just wasn't for her, so the comparison would not have been a big deal to her.  The only way to really know is for your friend's son to visit both schools, watch performances if he can, and get a feel for it.  Both are excellent programs so he can't go wrong.  I wish I could say "just go with the cheapest" but that's not always the best answer.  DD LOVES her school, but it's certainly not the cheapest.  But she has to spend the next four years of her life there, so I wanted her to be somewhere she was happy.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
USC's program is new, but I would take a very close look at where the alumni from NYU are dancing now. Very close. Look at alumni and see if they are working in companies that pay vs working in their own or former classmate's companies that are unpaid. 

If USC would be the one that is significantly less out of pocket, I would probably want my child there, no hesitation but that's based on my own second hand experiences with dancers who have been at NYU. That and a $3.25 will buy you a small latte at Starbucks.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
That's a "dancer's dream" decision.  Wish I had a good boy dancer sometimes!  When comparing the offers they should very carefully analyze the loan to scholarship ratio.  They probably have already done this, but it is critical to compare apples to apples.  Both schools are private and will have a four year graduation rate, so all loan costs should be mutliplied by four (as compared to a state school where it often takes five years to graduate, then loan costs are multiplied by five years). Additionally, loan burden typically increases during students Junior and Senior years, colleges offer strongest aid packages for Freshman year.  Cost should not be figured by only looking at parent contribution, but by analyzing total debt to the student at graduation.  (Previous College Admission Counselor here [smile])

All things being equal, I would choose USC Glorya Kaufman for the CA connection powerhouse and the fabulous and warm lifestyle in Southern California for young professionals.  Kaufman is only in its SECOND year, I've spoken to a few of the students and their advice for gaining admission is ballet, ballet, ballet.
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Wanted to give you all an update.

My friend's son will be attending USC Kaufman!!! 
An amazing opportunity with the least debt! It's a win win!

Thank you all for your input! Your insight was greatly appreiciated and helped them come to a final decision. It truly helps those of us who do not have a large dance community to lean on for advice. Thank you for your honest thoughts and sage wisdom! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: