Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD is attending NYCDA for the first time, she will be in the mini division. Would love to hear experiences with this convention. Is it usually over booked? Does it usually attract the large studios? Are the rooms generally big enough for all the kids or are they generally getting hit and tripping on each other? Judging helpful/insightful, fair and consistent?
josiemn

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hello! We attend each year, but I don't have specific experience in the mini room. In general, we have loved NYCDA. While the rooms are full, the teachers do a great job and the kids leave inspired. The larger studios do attend. The competition portion is smaller due to the early time of year, but the talent has been exceptional.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm from Minneapolis, and while we haven't been to this convention, I can tell you that the better-known conventions are usually very crowded. Good luck!
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for the responses. DD is looking forward to this. We have heard the students that NYCDA attracts are amazing.
dancemom0987

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
That'll be so fun for your DD! NYCDA is an amazing convention. [smile] I'm not really sure about the mini room although the other rooms are can get kinda crowded, but not overly crowded to the point where they can't dance. The large studios do attend as well as some of the smaller ones. I also don't know about the judging as my dd hasn't actually ever competed here. The competition is really small though and the dancers tend to be pretty supportive of each other. I hope you and your DD have a great experience!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I would say NYCDA is the most serious convention in our area. Even the top ballet studios attend and compete. 

For Break The Floor conventions, there are 3 (Nuvo, Jump, 24/seven) franchises to qualify for their nationals in 2 cities. NYCDA has one nationals and one convention each city they tour. So any studios that go to the NY nationals are all there. They usually go to another regional in other area to get more Outstanding Dancers (OD) and qualify their group dances as the maximum entry is like 20 per studio.

NYCDA also gives out VERY good college scholarships. I know one girl who got almost full scholarship to a college in NYC, and several who got partial. All the observer badge sales go toward scholarship foundation. 

They don't give out hundreds of class scholarships like Break The Floor, maybe less than a dozen for each genre? Like Ballet scholarship, Tap Scholarship, etc. will give your kid one free convention the following year, which is better than what OD runner-up gets.

Senior OD final audition is during the award show so plan to sit through their jazz/contemporary & ballet audition [frown]
Mini room will be as competitive, but the teachers and classes are the best. Have fun! 

ETA: I would say the OD audition is fair, but there were always so many kids in mini room, number mixups happen. One year, my DD saw Joe Lanteri writing her number down during prelim audition, but he didn't call her number later as finalists. I had my DD ask him. He found my DD's number he wrote on the notepad.

prettyprissy15

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter's first convention was NYCDA, and she was in the mini room! It was crowded because their mini category is ages 7-10, so you have 4 different ages in that room! I was worried that she wouldn't be able to keep up, but she did fine! I loved the instructors! They were very kid friendly, but they also had high expectations of the minis, and they learned a lot! We will be returning this season, and I am looking forward to it! A few tips that I would like to share is that the mini room was full of kids with fancy leotards and dance gear! No one warned me, and I had my daughter on a regular ole leo! She looked so out of place! Lol! I ended up going outside to the vendors and paying way too much for her a couple of fancy leos! Also, bring her lunch, snack, and water! Buy the parent observation band! I am glad that I did, because I was able to see what was going on, and judge for myself if it was worth my money!
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprissy15
My daughter's first convention was NYCDA, and she was in the mini room! It was crowded because their mini category is ages 7-10, so you have 4 different ages in that room! I was worried that she wouldn't be able to keep up, but she did fine! I loved the instructors! They were very kid friendly, but they also had high expectations of the minis, and they learned a lot! We will be returning this season, and I am looking forward to it! A few tips that I would like to share is that the mini room was full of kids with fancy leotards and dance gear! No one warned me, and I had my daughter on a regular ole leo! She looked so out of place! Lol! I ended up going outside to the vendors and paying way too much for her a couple of fancy leos! Also, bring her lunch, snack, and water! Buy the parent observation band! I am glad that I did, because I was able to see what was going on, and judge for myself if it was worth my money!

My DD was in the Junior room last year and won a ballet scholarship in a plain black leo with pink tights. I think she wore purple or mint colored booty shorts for everything except for ballet. You really don't need the fancy leos to win scholarships or get noticed. If anything, they might be more likely to notice your daughter if she is in traditional ballet wear (black leo). I'm sure they see enough flashy leos and gigantic bows on heads to last them a lifetime. 
Eliwel

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our first experience with NYCDA was amazing! Thank you to all who responded.

We attended knowing that the dancers there were all going to be fabulous - and they were! The entire competition and workshop ran flawlessly. DD told me Saturday after classes that this is now her "most favorite" convention. She says it feels like real training and not a baby class.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.