Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are taking our daughter to 2 summer intensives back to back. We will be in NY for a week then in Philly for 2 weeks. We want to take our DD to see ABT's Whipped Cream at the Met, but of course it's running while we are in Philly.  If we want to drive up to NYC from Philly, what's our best bet for a smooth/efficient round trip?  Should we drive to a satellite metro stop and take the subway to the met or drive into the Met and park in the deck?  How long would it take under normal conditions to get to the Met from Philly?  Not a city girl and need all the help anyone can offer.  Thanks so much
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Can't help you but just want to say that we saw it last monthI. It's amazing... enjoy!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Not sure about the parking situation, but I think it's about 2 hours in driving time.
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I cannot wait to see Whipped Cream!!  I'm so glad you loved it Heidi!
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
What about taking an Amtrak train? My daughter did an SI in Philly and we went to NYC afterwards for a few days and we took the train - it was easy and there was no worries about driving in NYC. You could take the train then take a cab to the Met.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IteachM
I cannot wait to see Whipped Cream!!  I'm so glad you loved it Heidi!

I'm actually hoping to go again.  I'm here in nyc now for 2 wks but it's not showing again until after we leave.  I think I'll drag my husband for a quick overnight once we drop dd off at her ballet SI on the 25th. When we went in May we had seats in the dress circle... which gave us a great view of the whole stage... but I'd like to see the costumes and sets up close.  They were incredible.   

And fwiw.. if it were me I'd just drive in and just park in a garage nearby.  Make it as direct as possible.  But that's me.  

eta:  have you been following it on social media?  There's a lot of stuff out there... videos, photos, reviews.  Check out Mark Ryden's fb page too if you haven't already.  He has an exhibit in a lower Manhattan museum that we went to see but they also have some of his work at the Met.  Check it out!

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

I live in between Philly and NYC, about an hour from each.  Going to see Whipped Cream at the end of this month! 

The Met is very easy to get to by public transportation. You can take a train to Penn Station in NYC (either Amtrack or NJ Transit which you can get to from Septa, Philly's train system). From there, you just get on the subway. The 1 stops right at Lincoln Center. 

I've parked at Lincoln Center in the past, which is more expensive than other places a few blocks away. I usually park at few blocks away, near 60th and West End because it's usually less than half the price on a weekend. There are online sites and various apps where you can find cheaper parking, sometimes by making a reservation or prepaying. If driving, know that there are also ton of tolls between Philly and NYC. There are times when we hit no traffic at all getting into NYC and times when the traffic adds an hour or more on to the trip. You can also drive to a train station in NJ and take the train in from there. Parking at the stations is less of an issue on a weekend than during the week. I know people in the Philly area who drive up to Hamilton NJ and park there. But you can go further north as well. 

No matter what you choose, leave plenty of time for either traffic or our infamous train delays! 

purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

I live in between Philly and NYC, about an hour from each.  Going to see Whipped Cream at the end of this month! 

The Met is very easy to get to by public transportation. You can take a train to Penn Station in NYC (either Amtrack or NJ Transit which you can get to from Septa, Philly's train system). From there, you just get on the subway. The 1 stops right at Lincoln Center. 

I've parked at Lincoln Center in the past, which is more expensive than other places a few blocks away. I usually park at few blocks away, near 60th and West End because it's usually less than half the price on a weekend. There are online sites and various apps where you can find cheaper parking, sometimes by making a reservation or prepaying. If driving, know that there are also ton of tolls between Philly and NYC. There are times when we hit no traffic at all getting into NYC and times when the traffic adds an hour or more on to the trip. You can also drive to a train station in NJ and take the train in from there. Parking at the stations is less of an issue on a weekend than during the week. I know people in the Philly area who drive up to Hamilton NJ and park there. But you can go further north as well. 

No matter what you choose, leave plenty of time for either traffic or our infamous train delays! 

Agreed. Leave plenty of time to travel. And enjoy! DD and friends saw whipped cream last month.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: