Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We are taking our 11DD to Gelsey Kirkland's Jr. SI this summer. Anyone have any shows to recommend?  We did An American in Paris, Matilda and saw ABT Cinderella ballet a couple of years ago. She loved them all.  

Thanks!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Paramour.  Amazing.  Believe it or not, I actually saw it 4 (maybe even 5) times last year... never gets old. And tickets are always available at the TKTS booth in Times Square for a deal.
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Paramour.  Amazing.  Believe it or not, I actually saw it 4 (maybe even 5) times last year... never gets old. And tickets are always available at the TKTS booth in Times Square for a deal.

I would love to see that but I think it's closing. [frown] 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IteachM

I would love to see that but I think it's closing. [frown] 

Well, that's disappointing [frown]

Wicked is amazing too.. although you'll have to pay full price for that.  Cats is great but I don't think that is at the TCKTS booth either (I'm all about a deal when in nyc... too many shows, only so much money). Chicago is one of our favorites (have seen it multiple times as well)... your dd is a little young (let's call it a bit provocative) but my dd saw it at 12 & absolutely loved it.  Kinky Boots is great fun too.  The latter two are always at the booth.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is new this year.  We're hoping to see it in June.  Oompah Loompahs onstage should be fun.  

The Rockettes are on a one year hiatus unfortunately.  Depending on when you're there (and if you like ballet), you could check out ABT's performances at Lincoln Center (they perform through July 8th). We're headed in next month specifically to see Whipped Cream.  Can't wait. It looks outrageous.  Definitely not your typical ballet.
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

Wicked is amazing too.. although you'll have to pay full price for that.  Cats is great but I don't think that is at the TCKTS booth either (I'm all about a deal when in nyc... too many shows, only so much money). Chicago is one of our favorites (have seen it multiple times as well)... your dd is a little young (let's call it a bit provocative) but my dd saw it at 12 & absolutely loved it.  Kinky Boots is great fun too.  The latter two are always at the booth.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is new this year.  We're hoping to see it in June.  Oompah Loompahs onstage should be fun.  

The Rockettes are on a one year hiatus unfortunately.  Depending on when you're there (and if you like ballet), you could check out ABT's performances at Lincoln Center (they perform through July 8th). We're headed in next month specifically to see Whipped Cream.  Can't wait. It looks outrageous.[/QUOT
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
For an 11 year old, I would definitely recommend School of Rock and Wicked. For grown ups, Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen are both incredible shows, I expect both will be seeing some Tony nominations this year,
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IteachM
Quote:

The Rockettes are on a one year hiatus unfortunately.  Depending on when you're there (and if you like ballet), you could check out ABT's performances at Lincoln Center (they perform through July 8th). We're headed in next month specifically to see Whipped Cream.  Can't wait. It looks outrageous.[/QUOT

Whipped Cream does look like fun!  It's running the week after we are there. ABT Onegin is running while we are there. I am not familiar with that at all.  Kinky Boots might work. Thank you so much!
heidih

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Oh shoot!  We were hoping to see the Rockettes this summer.  We were going to take a trip to NYC for shows.  Are there any good ballets you would recommend?  Wicked is on our list.  Thank you.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidih
Oh shoot!  We were hoping to see the Rockettes this summer.  We were going to take a trip to NYC for shows.  Are there any good ballets you would recommend?  Wicked is on our list.  Thank you.

When are you going?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

I think ABT has a great spring season coming up. The only production I would not particularly recommend is The Golden Cockerel. Saw it last year and did not love it. Know that students can buy 2 tickets at student pricing (I think about $20 a ticket for the top tier, and $39 for orchestra) if there is availability. They are sold day of the show only. 

The ballet I am looking most forward to this summer is Balanchine's Jewels, as part of the Lincoln Center Summer Festival. One weekend only, Paris Opera Ballet, the Bolshoi and NYCB are each doing a different section of the ballet. Tickets are pricey and there were not tons left when I bought mine last week. July 20-23 I think. It's a very unique opportunity to see three of the world's top ballet companies in one performance! I am sad dd won't be home to go with me. She'll be home the week before. I think she is also going to end up missing Whipped Cream. I also cannot wait for that one! 

I agree 100% with Dancingpeanut. I think Dear Evan Hansen will win the Tony for Best Musical. In any other year, Come From Away would have been a possibility. I warned my friends on FB to get tickets to both while they were available. Dear Evan Hansen is already a tough ticket. Come From Away will be if it isn't already.  Both are fabulous! I am seeing Amelie in previews this week and Charlie next month. [smile]  <Kind of fun to be an empty nester with dd away so much these days>

Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Agree on School of Rock and Wicked. Also the Lion King (saw it years ago when it first opened) and Aladdin (saw it last summer) are good for that age. I just took my dd to see Chicago for her 16th birthday and I would not recommend it for an 11 YO. Paramour looks good too, as well as Charlie and the Chocolate factory.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Next time I'm in NYC, Dear Evan Hansen is at the top of my list.  DD's friend just saw it and he loved it. I hope to be there next fall.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I kind of thought School of Rock was just okay and am truly sorry we didn't pick something else to see last year. We were headed for Kinky Boots, and should have done that instead. The one that I saw last year that blew my mind (it's not a musical) the The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.  I am going to say it was one of the best things I have ever seen in NYC.  It was super arty, athletic and amazing in every way...but it might be a little higher thought for a 12 year old.  Fiddler was really good, but no where near the top of the list (but better than School of Rock.) 
Sometimes you can get some great deals and really great seats for Off Broadway, so maybe consider that too.  We saw Avenue Q (maybe a little racy for 12) and got 6th row seats and it still remains near the top of my list.  We really liked Matilda.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
 "The one that I saw last year that blew my mind (it's not a musical) the The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime."

One of my favorite books.  I'll put that on the list.....thanks!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

"Curious Incident" closed this fall, sadly. I do think there is a national tour though. 

"Dear Evan Hansen" was one definitely the best show I have seen in the last year. "Come From Away" was quite close. Tickets are already very tough to get for Evan Hansen, so buy in advance! 

Not a lot of new dance heavy shows this year. Cats may not be at TKTS, but it is not a tough ticket to get if you order in advance. I just recently ordered 2 tickets as a birthday gift and there were tons of seats available in June and July, at least for midweek performances on the dates I was looking at. I actually liked it better than when I saw the original. It would be good for an 11 year old. 

Anastasia is opening soon too. I have not heard much about it yet. I've always been fascinated with the story so I'm curious about that one. I do think it will probably end up being OK for that age range. 

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

"Curious Incident" closed this fall, sadly. I do think there is a national tour though."

That's too bad. I'll keep my eyes open for that one on the national tour.  We seem to get pretty decent shows here.  

changole

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Next time I'm in NYC, Dear Evan Hansen is at the top of my list.  DD's friend just saw it and he loved it. I hope to be there next fall.

That is on my list, too! This summer, DS and I will be seeing Sweeney Todd and Hamilton while in NYC in Aug for a dance conference.
threegirlpileup

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
For a show to please both kids and parents, I don't think you can miss with Lion King.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: