Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anybody else going to Nuvo Chicago in March as a nubie?

This is the first year apparently that they are offering a nubie (ages 5-7) division for competition as well as two-day workshop for this age group.  

I love the idea, because I really can't imagine my 7 y/o keeping up with the 10 year olds in the mini room. 
Also, I love the idea of her attending her first convention competing not against a bunch of 9-10 year olds, as there will be plenty of time for that.

I just wanted to know if anyone else plans on attending any BTF conventions in the nubie/sidekick division this year with the new changes.  We are really excited!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamquint1
Anybody else going to Nuvo Chicago in March as a nubie?

This is the first year apparently that they are offering a nubie (ages 5-7) division for competition as well as two-day workshop for this age group.  

I love the idea, because I really can't imagine my 7 y/o keeping up with the 10 year olds in the mini room. 
Also, I love the idea of her attending her first convention competing not against a bunch of 9-10 year olds, as there will be plenty of time for that.

I just wanted to know if anyone else plans on attending any BTF conventions in the nubie/sidekick division this year with the new changes.  We are really excited!

Hmmm...this isn't the first year for Nubie's. The workshop and comp for Nubies has been around for a few years.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

Hmmm...this isn't the first year for Nubie's. The workshop and comp for Nubies has been around for a few years.

Looking at the website, it makes it sound like that there has always been a nubie room for workshops, but only one day and that the nubie division for competition is new. Previously, there was only a mini division for competition. In looking at past results at The Dance Awards, I only see mini division, not nubie. However, like I said, this is our first year attending a convention, so correct me if I'm wrong if your personal experience is different from this. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:

Looking at the website, it makes it sound like that there has always been a nubie room for workshops, but only one day and that the nubie division for competition is new. Previously, there was only a mini division for competition. In looking at past results at The Dance Awards, I only see mini division, not nubie. However, like I said, this is our first year attending a convention, so correct me if I'm wrong if your personal experience is different from this. 

The comp existed but Nubies wouldn't compete at the Dance Awards as they don't have scholarship auditions (Nubies don't compete for Best Dancer).  Typically in the Nubie division there are between 1-5 kids competing.
jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

The comp existed but Nubies wouldn't compete at the Dance Awards as they don't have scholarship auditions (Nubies don't compete for Best Dancer).  Typically in the Nubie division there are between 1-5 kids competing.

Got it. Thank you and good to know. This makes sense.

With only a few nubies competing at NUVO, do you feel like it is a good experience for them?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:

Got it. Thank you and good to know. This makes sense.

With only a few nubies competing at NUVO, do you feel like it is a good experience for them?

I can't speak from personal experience, I never had a kid compete that young. I would say it's kind of silly to spend that kind of money but that's just me. 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We went to Nubies in Boston last year.

No scholarships, they do a mini production on stage on Sunday of the weekend.

It was good for my daughter (7).  Learning from different teachers, seeing other dancers her age, and making friends.  It was the right speed for her - and no scholarships auditions at this age was very helpful. (she wasn't worried about winning anything) 

But most of all I thought the experience was most beneficial because I want her to be comfortable (when she is competing) and picking up new choreography that we wouldn't have in class.  She had never competed before and I think being in that environment gave her some education on what happens.

This year we are going back for the mini room.  

There are usually 4-5 acts in the competition portion of newbies, but they are pretty contained.

jamquint1

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane
We went to Nubies in Boston last year.

No scholarships, they do a mini production on stage on Sunday of the weekend.

It was good for my daughter (7).  Learning from different teachers, seeing other dancers her age, and making friends.  It was the right speed for her - and no scholarships auditions at this age was very helpful. (she wasn't worried about winning anything) 

But most of all I thought the experience was most beneficial because I want her to be comfortable (when she is competing) and picking up new choreography that we wouldn't have in class.  She had never competed before and I think being in that environment gave her some education on what happens.

This year we are going back for the mini room.  

There are usually 4-5 acts in the competition portion of newbies, but they are pretty contained.

Thank you. This is helpful.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
If I'm correct, I believe there was only 1 nubie entry this weekend in Toronto.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We do Nuvo every year. One of DD's friends competed Nubie 2 seasons ago in DC at the age of 7 and I believe there were about 9 entries? It wasn't a lot. She did workshop with the minis, though, since all of the girls on team she danced with were a year older. My DD did the nubie room the year before that (just workshop, no competition) and said it was fun.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.