Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
well it's the best close to where I live in terms of training so we're giving it a shot. DD8 does not have the traditional ballet body or good feet for pointe but they also have amazing teachers for hip hop and tap and theatre dance so even if she doesn't or can't take the ballet route in dance she will be well trained in other ways. [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 

Always lucky to have a good school close by! It's the whole "we are the best" thing that grabs me these days.. probably a little PTSD. LOL!

It was the same for my dd! No ballet body and not great feet. She started off in competition and moved to a ballet school that also had great Bway jazz, hip hop and modern. No one would have ever guessed, aside from her passion, that she would have ended up in ballet! Her jazz teacher from her comp school is the one that suggested we get her into a ballet school, mentioning that she would only be a stronger dancer for the time spent at a ballet school. She was so right.  

judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
DD did the Joffrey nut a few years ago. A great experience. Not sure what they are doing with the children's cast this year with the reboot.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
We are in the Midwest and this will be my 11th (and last) season with a dancer in Lincoln Midwest Ballet Company's Nut.  The production is fairly high quality with live orchestra and a cast of about 240.  The top 20 - 30 are the "company" and carry the lead roles.  My oldest was in the show for 9 years and in the company all 4 years she was eligible but little sister got a late start and was an apprentice for the first time last year.  She will be a senior and is dearly hoping to make Company this year.  Auditions are in September.
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Tendumom - thanks! You always make me feel better. Although DD has a passion for dance, I will have to see the dedication from her. She's only 8 so I'm not expecting much but in a few years I would hope she's practicing and stretching at home and not just leaving everything for the classes. We shall see.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Haven't read the replies so I might repeat. Dd14 did nutcracker at our former studio for 3 seasons. Great fun, but a very big time commitment. Dd was part of the ballet company's home studio so rehearsals were easy to attend, but many girls came from other studios. They did require 2 ballet classes, plus pointe if in the senior levels, taken either at the home studio or the dancers studio with a sign off slip to show the classes were taken. Rehearsals were 1-2 days per week depending upon level.

Tech week is a solid week of rehearsals before the shows. Of course, those rehearsals are mandatory. I always called that my lost week because it was every night monday thru Thursday with 2 performances Friday and 2 Saturday. .
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
DD is not going to do the Nutcracker that she auditioned for last week.  She would have to take class there 2 days a week for 2 sessions which would cost $1050.  That's on top of her regular tuition at her home studio.  But, another place has auditions on Friday so she's thinking she'd like to do that, and there's only a $50 participation fee.
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #33 
My DD is auditioning for her first Nutcracker in September.  She is so excited!! Last year she was excited for it, but they changed the age cut off and she ended up being too young. 
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
DD has decided to audition for the Moscow traveling Nutcracker this year.  She knows that the local dancers are extras but frankly that is how the students are used at her ballet school so she is accustomed to that.  With Moscow she will get a different role, possibly on pointe.  A few friends are also planning to participate this year, so perhaps she'll dance with some of them.  The rehearsal schedule is fairly light and on Sundays so won't interfere with the production rehearsals for the company with which her school is associated.

This will be DD's fifth Nutcracker year, and the fifth performing with the local professional company.  They hold open community auditions but the main dance roles are done by company, apprentices, and trainees.  DD will likely be a rat for the fifth time, and possibly an angel.  Angels last year did not perform en pointe, and the rats wear large masks and dance in the background.  She enjoys dancing with the company and her fellow students each year, but I get annoyed at the large time demands for roles that are essentially live scenery.  DD's school does a nice Nutcracker in a beautiful professional theater, but I've seen a LOT of Nutcrackers.  I wish there was some other winter performance opportunity, because DD is not one to pass up any chance to get on stage, and I'd like to see something different from my expensive seat...
trumpets123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #35 
we haven't done this yet.
Natovia

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
DD is not going to do the Nutcracker that she auditioned for last week.  She would have to take class there 2 days a week for 2 sessions which would cost $1050.  That's on top of her regular tuition at her home studio.  But, another place has auditions on Friday so she's thinking she'd like to do that, and there's only a $50 participation fee.

I was literally just about to write that my daughter did it and the commitment was over a thousand dollars. Even so, it was worth every penny  [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
It would be, except we go to another studio that is $1000 every session and I can't afford to pay tuition at two different studios.  [frown]
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Nope, the nutcracker is exeedingly rare in Australia because Crhistmas time is also end of school year and end of dance year time, as it is Summer. Kids are busy with recitals and all the end of year stuff.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Nope, the nutcracker is exeedingly rare in Australia because Crhistmas time is also end of school year and end of dance year time, as it is Summer. Kids are busy with recitals and all the end of year stuff.

Wow, it's such a staple in the professional dance world in the US.  My impression is that some companies perform it whether they want to or not, just because they know it sells tickets.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Very true! Many companies depend on Nut to pay for the rest of their season. It is critical for Kettering done companies afloat.
ladybug1993

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Our professional studio uses 11-unders for one scene with the mice Indians soldiers etc and there is no ballet involved. Anyone from the community can come and audition. 12-up is strictly for their ballet academy students. It is an "experience" for the community kids. Mine is 10 this year and on the competitive dance team and trains at our local studio but is able to be one of the "extras" in nutcracker every year. She just loves the experience. Its a way to do just another something on stage...she is a bit of a "diva" lol.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
At the end of the day she decided not to do it.  She did the audition for Legeres but there were some things she didn't like about it, and with it taking me and hour and 15 minutes to get there I wasn't too crazy about that commute.  She then thought about doing the Nutcracker she did a couple of years ago, but they have rehearsals during the week and she doesn't want to miss training on a weeknight at her regular studio while she's training for YAGP.  Maybe another year.  [frown]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for Nut in her future, especially if she ends up pursuing ballet. Dd is actually grateful for the years she was able to do a different winter ballet and the unusual version of the Nut she did the last 2 years. She'll likely be doing a typical Nut for years to come, if she is lucky that is!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

What kind of roles are up for grabs at Festival?  I imagine nothing of significance for anyone older 12 or so given that they are a professional company, yes?

DD did this Nutcracker for 7 years and SBRI's Christmas show for 1.  FBP's would probably not be anything your DD would really enjoy.  The open auditions are for angels, candy dolls, party girls/boys, mice, soldiers, and trepak.  The more advanced roles of Clara, Clara's friends, and attendants are typically reserved for junior company or, at the very least, some of the more advance dancers who are not yet junior company.  The typical role progression (at least when DD was there) is 7-9 year olds are angels, 9-11 year olds are candy dolls, 11 and 12 year olds are party girls, 12/13+ are soldiers, mice, and/or trepak.  I would say your DD would probably be mice and trepak, which were coveted roles when DD was there.  She LOVED those roles... even after dancing as Clara's friends and attendants, mice was still her absolute favorite role.  Some of the older junior company members (typically seniors in high school) can also be cast as snow and flowers, if she'd stayed there long enough to be cast in those parts they may have moved into the lead with regard to favorite roles because those are actually dancing as part of the company's corps, but her last year doing their Nut was when she was 13, so she never got that opportunity.  [smile]
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

DD did this Nutcracker for 7 years and SBRI's Christmas show for 1.  FBP's would probably not be anything your DD would really enjoy.  The open auditions are for angels, candy dolls, party girls/boys, mice, soldiers, and trepak.  The more advanced roles of Clara, Clara's friends, and attendants are typically reserved for junior company or, at the very least, some of the more advance dancers who are not yet junior company.  The typical role progression (at least when DD was there) is 7-9 year olds are angels, 9-11 year olds are candy dolls, 11 and 12 year olds are party girls, 12/13+ are soldiers, mice, and/or trepak.  I would say your DD would probably be mice and trepak, which were coveted roles when DD was there.  She LOVED those roles... even after dancing as Clara's friends and attendants, mice was still her absolute favorite role.  Some of the older junior company members (typically seniors in high school) can also be cast as snow and flowers, if she'd stayed there long enough to be cast in those parts they may have moved into the lead with regard to favorite roles because those are actually dancing as part of the company's corps, but her last year doing their Nut was when she was 13, so she never got that opportunity.  [smile]

Yes, this is all true.

Sorry, Heidi, that I missed your question earlier. Meghan was an angel, then a candy doll, and last year she was a party girl. She would likely end up being a party girl again this year or would move up to trepak, which I've heard all the girls love.

I don't really care which show she does, so I'm leaving this decision up to her. We will likely do the audition just to see what she gets, but I'm thinking she will lean more towards Heritage's Nut this year.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
Yes, this is all true. Sorry, Heidi, that I missed your question earlier. Meghan was an angel, then a candy doll, and last year she was a party girl. She would likely end up being a party girl again this year or would move up to trepak, which I've heard all the girls love. I don't really care which show she does, so I'm leaving this decision up to her. We will likely do the audition just to see what she gets, but I'm thinking she will lean more towards Heritage's Nut this year.

Yeah, DD's first year was at age 7, her role progression was Candy Doll, Angel, Candy Doll again, then party girl for 2 years, then Clara's Friend, then her final year was Mice, Trepak, and Attendants.  Her last year as a party girl (age 11) and the year she was Clara's friend (age 12) she was a full time student there.  The year she did mice, trepak, and attendant (age 13) she had actually switched back to her comp studio... but Misha had invited her to junior company that year so, even though she hadn't done it, he cast her in all the same roles as junior company.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Thanx for taking the time to come back and respond.  Dd wasn't really considering it even if they did have a lot to offer... we already drive enough as it is  lol  We've got it narrowed down.  Two auditions the weekend of the 10th.  It's coming up fast.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.