Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So right now DD11 is auditioning at another studio in our area for their Nutrcracker performance.  Well, the actual audition is in August but it's the same day as her home studio's summer show so she couldn't make the audition.  Today she is taking classes at the other studio and the AD is auditioning her from class.

Our home studio does a nativity Christmas show every year and although she loves it, she wanted to do something different this year.  She did Nutcracker in 2012 at another different studio and was a wooden soldier.  When I  brought her in this morning though, the lady at the desk told me that the rehearsals would be 3 days a week and that she would be required to take their classes too.  Which basically means I'd be paying full tuition (unlimited) for this studio and her home studio.  Is this the way it normally works?  Last time she did Nutcracker she only had to be there when her part rehearsed which was once a week.  I could probably do two days but I don't want her to be away from our home studio 3 days a week, especially since she's training for YAGP too.

I'm just curious as to what all of your own experiences were and if any of your dancers were planning to do Nutcracker this year.

Dec2012_09.jpg    
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We haven't done Nut. I just wanted to comment on how absolutely ADORABLE this picture is!!!!

Oh, that face!
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DDs have done Nutcracker at another local studio the past two years. While they require that the dancers be enrolled in ballet classes, they don't require that the classes be at their studio. Also, rehearsals were only on one weekend morning/early afternoon each week. There's no way we could have done it if we had to make that type of time (or financial!) commitment. I hope it works out for you! And I agree, that is an adorable picture [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Aww, thanks you guys!  It was such a good experience for her doing it that year.  She's been getting a little burned out at her current studio; there has been an enormous amount of drama the past few months with a bunch of dancers leaving and her two favorite teachers that worked with her for YAGP probably not coming back either.  I'm not ready to give up on the studio yet though.  I love it there, she gets great training, and it's like a family.  But I know she needs some kind of change so we thought doing Nutcracker would be nice.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Been doing it for years.  Younger kids with smaller parts such as Holly Sprites probably rehearse an hour a week.  There is no requirement for classes - period.  At the company's school or elsewhere.

However, as the kids move up in ability and their roles get larger, dancers must be full time at the company's training school.  This transition depends on a combination of ability, size, and age, but is generally when a dancer is around 11-12 years old.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD has been dancing with Festival Ballet in Providence for their nutcracker for the past three years and has enjoyed the experience immensely.

This year, she will have to decide whether she wants to audition for them again or if she would rather audition for the nutcracker at the ballet school she now attends 3x a week. But auditions aren't until after Labor Day, so plenty of time to decide.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Dd has been in a Nutcracker or other winter ballet for the last 10 years or so. 

At studio one, the Nut was separate from the school, though closely affiliated. It was open to outside students who did not take classes there. I think that was a good move. A good number of those students were able to get a taste of the culture and the level of technique at the school and made the switch either in the spring or the following year. There was a fee involved. Rehearsals were weekends only. Younger dancers only rehearsed one day a week until maybe 3 weeks before the performance. 

At another local school, you must be a student of the school. Professional company members play the main roles except for Clara. At the third area ballet school, anyone can audition. I believe all comers are given roles there too. It is a much more casual place. 

At her next school, I am not sure if auditions were open to the public or not. There were some male students from elsewhere, all of whom had some affiliation with the school already (attended the SI usually). No class requirements either. Rehearsals were mainly weekends except for a few roles that rehearsed in the evening during the week.

Basically, to me, it sounds like you found a school that is really only offering the Nutcracker to their own students. They should publish that information with their audition info. 3 days a week is a great deal of rehearsal unless it is a very short rehearsal period!

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The reason I thought to have her audition here was because they had a flyer advertising public auditions.  But the lady at the front desk made it sound like you had to be enrolled in classes.  I talked to the AD/SO after DD11 finished her classes and he said she didn't need to come to the classes but there would be rehearsals 3 days a week.  With DD training for YAGP at her home studio, being at another studio 3 days a week is too much.  I told the the front desk lady that and she said she was sure they could make it work if she could only come twice a week.  Class had already started again so she said she'd talk to AD and call me later.  If they could make it work with just 2 days a week then I think DD will do it.  AD was telling me that they have a live orchestra for the performances.

I was reading his bio on Wiki which was pretty impressive; but sad as his career ended only a few years after it started as he had collided with another dancer mid-air and severed all the ligaments in his knees.  [frown] 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We do Nutcracker at our studio. Any kid can audition--including kids who dance elsewhere. It is a $30 fee to participate. Company provides the costumes. That fee covers all rehearsals which are on Friday, Sat, Sun after classes. We had a comp dancer from a nearby studio play one of our Clara's this past year (our Clara is mostly an acting with a little dancing part). She just kept taking classes at her home studio without issue.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
My DD has been dancing with Festival Ballet in Providence for their nutcracker for the past three years and has enjoyed the experience immensely. This year, she will have to decide whether she wants to audition for them again or if she would rather audition for the nutcracker at the ballet school she now attends 3x a week. But auditions aren't until after Labor Day, so plenty of time to decide.

What kind of roles are up for grabs at Festival?  I imagine nothing of significance for anyone older 12 or so given that they are a professional company, yes?
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD17 and three of her studio friends did the Nut with Ballet Met in Detroit approx 6 years ago. Rehearsals were Saturday and Sunday. At the time, our studio worked around the Saturday rehearsal schedule. Honestly, them being in this production was a feather in the studios cap. I do not remember any fee we had to pay. They gave us a prepaid parking pass for the parking garage. I felt they dropped the ball not doing some professional pics behind the scenes. After all, dance moms buy almost anything lol.

DD would love to be in another Nut but she is pretty overscheduled already. Plus she is six foot tall. There are no costumes that would fit. But she cherishes her months as head rat, as does her grandma.

All the best to all of you Nut dancers this year. My mom and my sisters have been going since I was nineteen. DD started coming when she was three. I know there are tons of issues behind the curtain. Just remember that you are dancing and helping build traditions and memories. Thanks for that.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD did Nutcracker for years with her former studio and ballet company. She has never done it as an outside thing though (small town, only 2 really good studios and a sprinkle of bad ones.... Former ballet studio and current well rounded comp studio being the only two decent choices!).
At former ballet studio, Nutcracker auditions were open to all as a requisite for some sort of public status, but if you were NOT in the ballet company or at the very least enrolled in the ballet studio, your chances for parts were extremely limited. If you auditioned successfully and weren't already enrolled, you weren't forced to do so.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I looked at video online of last year's Nutcracker there; it's seems huge with mostly adults.  I imagine DD won't have a big part but I think she is going to have a blast being a part of this.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
DD17 and three of her studio friends did the Nut with Ballet Met in Detroit approx 6 years ago. Rehearsals were Saturday and Sunday. At the time, our studio worked around the Saturday rehearsal schedule. Honestly, them being in this production was a feather in the studios cap. I do not remember any fee we had to pay. They gave us a prepaid parking pass for the parking garage. I felt they dropped the ball not doing some professional pics behind the scenes. After all, dance moms buy almost anything lol. DD would love to be in another Nut but she is pretty overscheduled already. Plus she is six foot tall. There are no costumes that would fit. But she cherishes her months as head rat, as does her grandma. All the best to all of you Nut dancers this year. My mom and my sisters have been going since I was nineteen. DD started coming when she was three. I know there are tons of issues behind the curtain. Just remember that you are dancing and helping build traditions and memories. Thanks for that.

When did they post the auditions in past years? I was actually look for audition info yesterday but Ballet Met has nothing yet although the nutcracker is on the schedule for the Opera House. Moscow Ballet has their auditions scheduled but I'm more interested in Ballet Met...
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quite a few of our dancers audition for Ballet Jorgen's NUT.  For years our studio was used as the rehearsal studio locally.  Our SO had no issue letting the kids go to rehearsals for Nut and miss regular classes.  It was only for a few weeks.  A couple of times we had dancers who were asked to be part of the touring cast (they tour across Southern Ontario) and the SO allowed that as well so those dancers were missing for weekend classes pretty much through December.  It helps that our first comps aren't until April and Saturday is stretch and tech classes so no choreo missed for the most part.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
@momcrew, I know BalletMet's auditions for the Columbus performances are in September. Dd is planning to return to BMet this year and we just got the calendar in the mail but it's not on the website yet.  I would expect the Detroit auditions to be in late September/early October. 
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
@momcrew, I know BalletMet's auditions for the Columbus performances are in September. Dd is planning to return to BMet this year and we just got the calendar in the mail but it's not on the website yet.  I would expect the Detroit auditions to be in late September/early October. 

Thanks! I'll keep my eye open [smile] 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
All of the Nut auditions around here aren't until September so I won't know for sure what dd's doing until then.  We've ruled out the Moscow Ballet that is partnering with her home ballet studio this year.  She was planning on auditioning for a more local ballet school's Nut which is well respected in this area. We'll see.  I never know with dd.  Right now she's 2.5 weeks into her 5 wk ballet SI and is desperately trying to talk us into letting her stay year round.  [rolleyes]
lilyzdancemom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
This will be DD16's 7th year doing Nutcracker with her studio. We have amazing guest stars like Bart Copperthwaite and Adrienne Canterna. It's an amazing experience we wouldn't miss for the world. my husband dances in the party scene as a party guest with a partner and I run the Bake Sale so it's a whole family tradition.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I can honestly say I've seen at least 50 Nutcrackers and probably more, if I include the professional Company Nutcrackers I attended with DD when she was young.

DD did her first at 6 when she was a Snowflake with the Moscow Ballet and then started at a pre pro ballet school at 12.  The auditions at her school were always the beginning of September.  They had open auditions, but didn't require commitment to anything but rehearsals and $250 or $300. 

If I had to estimate, I would say dd has performed in over 100 Nutcrackers now.  She freaks out whenever she hears Snow music.  She may have some PTSD going on!  [crazy]  She loves it, but the Company productions are definitely a grind, especially when she doesn't have a 2nd cast back up.  The good thing is, they don't start rehearsals until after the October rep, so they only rehearse for a few weeks.  Hard on the 2nd Company dancers, but it's a great learning experience for them.  The Company members could probably do it in their sleep...

I would recommend it to everyone.  It's a great way to see how Company's work, get to know how hard the dancers work and it's a "real life" experience, including seeing AD's get very angry at times in high stress moments, if you are performing with a professional company.
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
DD8 has not done it yet but will audition this year at the studio we're switching to. Her current studio does a nut but has a professional ballet co come over from Ukraine so the students get what's left. I'm not even sure if you have to be a student but I would think so. Rehearsals are on the weekends usually only one day.
The studio we will be going to in sept does their own Nut which is advertised as being the best in NJ. (I have no idea if this is true but I've seen parts of it on YouTube and it looks amazing). You must take ballet their to audition and it's about $250. Again once a week reheaesals on the weekends.
Auditions are towards the end of sept for both studios.
I guess every studio can make their own requirements.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Best Nutcracker in NJ? I have never seen such an ad. NJ Ballet or ARB? Or is it a student company? 
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Anyone can claim to be the "best" but since you're curious you can google Leath Nunn and I'm sure you'll find the info of the studio. I'd rather not mention names here. No idea where that would lead.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingdd
Anyone can claim to be the "best" but since you're curious you can google Leath Nunn and I'm sure you'll find the info of the studio. I'd rather not mention names here. No idea where that would lead.

Wait I thought it was only over on the ballet board that you couldn't mention names?  [smile]  I thought we were a little more laid back here!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity! We are more laidback here but some do like to preserve their anonymity. I am not very good at being anonymous. LOL!

Ahh... yes.. Nunnbetter. Not shocked that they would say that about themselves knowing the name of the studio. [smile] Their website says the Nut is considered one of the best in NJ, but doesn't give a reference. Usually, one would site xyz newspaper review or some such with a claim like that. Not the first time I have heard about this school considering itself "the best" for one reason or another. 

I am in NJ and have been around the dance scene, especially ballet, for quite some time. There are quite a few fine ballet schools in the state as well as a number of beautifully danced Nutcrackers and other performances. As you mentioned, there is no single best at anything but I would still say that Nunnbetter does have a reputation for a strong performance. Dd does have a friend who used to dance there (but has since moved on.. no school is perfect). 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.