Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Soooooo this is our first ever Nut experience and first year doing all ballet- my Dd was called out of class today by the artistic director and asked if she would accept the mouse king part and also snow ( I assume that is a corps position) - he had some really nice things to say to her about being a beautiful dancer which was very nice for her to hear as she is feeling a bit unsure of herself coming from teh comp world at 15 ( the girls at the ballet studio are stunning!). She's quite behind in pointe work and 5' 7 so I really thought she would end up as an understudy.

My question is mouse king a "good" role- will she be dancing a lot of just running around with a big old rat head? lol I've only seen Nut twice! The AD did say that it would be a challenging part but I am thrilled she has a part and will have stage time! I am also excited that the prince is Dance Theatre of Harlem's Francis Lawrence. 
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Casting came out DD6 and DS7 are both Party Guests (video game dance) and Cavities (bonbons).  DS7 is also the Bullfighter... I have no idea, lol.  Other characters are the Pumpkin Spice Latte Fairy, Olaf, Rodeo Clowns, a Bull and a number of others that have the traditional names but I am sure will be very different roles.  Rehearsals start Saturday I can't wait to see what will happen [smile]

Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Wow sarahbearsmom, those are some parts..! [wink] I would love to see the version of the Nutcracker those are in (I'm not being sarcastic, I would love to see some of the less traditional takes on it!)
At our former studio, Rat King usually went to one of the best character actresses, not necessarily the absolute best ballerina (they were busy doing the principal dance parts) but the one with most charisma and flair. [smile] Not a bad thing at all!!
And yay Tendumom, I was hoping your DD would get something good!!!

I'm living vicariously through you guys, and also at the same time feeling great about NOT worrying about casting. Looking at the published casting of DDs old studio, I think I know where she would have been (and think it would have been OK) but also fear that because of politics she may have been in the "second tier" of kids she was grouped with and that would have been NOT good at all. I'm glad to be away from there.... I do love and miss Nutcracker season though, I'm not going to lie....
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Nutcracker parts came out today. DD is a doll, snow queen, Spanish, and waltz of the flowers. She is understudy for sugar plum and Arabian.

Congrats to everybody! I love Nutcracker!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Michgal, what a fun part for your dd! She will very likely have a huge head of some sort on. The part requires someone who can dance "big" and really perform. I have fond memories of dd as a rat in that scene. Our rats and rat king were comic relief. 

Sarahbearsmom, it sounds like a fun version of the Nutcracker with those names!! What are the costumes like? It sounds very modern with cavities and video game dance. Dd's parts are also actually somewhat different as it is a NYC themed Nut. She is Butterfly which would be called DewDrop. The Flowers dance is actually a scene in Central Park with the usual Flowers and Demi-Flowers plus Gardeners and a Park Ranger. The latter are boys who partner them.  She is also Lead Pigeon which would be Lead marzipan. She is also in Snow, which takes place in the middle of the shoppers on 5th Avenue. 
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Thanks Tendumom for the answer! I have a feeling they gave her that part because she isn't quite up to snuff at pointe yet! I think she'll have fun with it- minus the big ugly head lol! It'll also be interresting to see her have such a change of character doing snow! It'll def stretch her!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #57 
DD got her first pointe part!  She was one of 36 called back for the top parts but was in tears in the car after the audition because she thought she had blown the pointe call back.  It isn't a fantastic part but she is a land and an apprentice in the Company.  So mixed bag of happy!  The other two younger girls from our studio also received parts.
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #58 
We have already begun rehearsals! Dd13 is in Spanish and is an angel. This year they have 3 levels of angels, and she is in the highest level! Very exciting, however Spanish was what she really hoped for!
Dd7 is a mice (3rd year in a row), a gift shoppe dancer (which is in the opening number, when the party guests are"shopping" for gifts), and her most prized role - Chinese! She is finally in the correct level and old enough for it!
They take the mice and battle scene to the elementary schools, so I think that's why she is mice again, she knows it, and is good at it, they do have a couple new girls in that role, so some veterans probably help!
We are very excited! Nut is our favorite!

Congrats to everyone and their parts! We need to start a thread with pictures once everyone has picture day or something! I would love to see the different costumes the different ballet companies use!
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #59 
We don't do Nutcracker but do have a yearly Christmas story ballet. I figured I would chime in because I have happy girls. We are are doing an Alice in Wonderland Christmas theme and DD 16 is Alice. DD 14 is tweedle Dee
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
That sounds wonderful! 

Dd was a school that did not do a Nutcracker. Too many Nuts in the area, so they did a different show. They sold so many more tickets once they stopped doing the Nutcracker. I think people were ready for something different!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookmomx3
We need to start a thread with pictures once everyone has picture day or something! I would love to see the different costumes the different ballet companies use!

Love this idea.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Finally!

The casting is weird for this company.  Everything is triple cast and they don't have all their roles in all the shows.  I get it for the solos, it's weird for the party girls when there aren't even that many of them to start with and it's going to be so much sitting around backstage. . . . .

But, mini-meatball will be dancing as Russian in the first show, in the second show she's a ballerina doll and Chinese and in the third show she's a Party Girl.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Congratulations to your dd and all the dancing kids!

Dd's show is more than triple cast. It's crazy and I honestly do not know how they do it. They have rehearsal casting with lists of who is to learn which parts. The casting comes out later. Generally, if you are a lead and show up and learn your part, you will get to do it. Don't show up and you won't. It's rare for someone not to get to perform everything they were cast in, but they may only perform some things once in the run. There are 10 shows plus 2 invitation only shows. Holding my breath that I will get to see dd in her various roles, esp the 2 leads she has never done before because my work schedule will not allow me to have a free calendar in advance of the casting announcements, 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
I totally get multiple casts for the small groups and leads.  It's weird to do multiple casts for the larger groups when there aren't really that many kids dancing the roles at all, less than would fill up the stage.  They only have seven girls dancing snow which seems odd to me, and there are only like fifteen kids in the battle scene.  I'm interested to see the choreography though, it seems like it's going to be very different than what we're used to (seven girls in snow for example).
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #65 
We double cast for the first time this year and it seemed like a lot of kids got less than last year. It is a huge cast this year.

Dd11 is party girl (both casts), little flower (non-pointe part in Waltz of the flowers, both casts), understudy for snow and understudy for marzipan corps. The understudy roles are really just to learn for next year when she hopes to move from apprentice to full corps member; she doesn't anticipate getting to dance either this year.

Dd9 got ginger and understudy for party child, which she was so excited about and then before we signed the contract committing to it, she said she was just going to watch this year...so that's a bit of a bummer. I did tell her that next time she won't audition unless she is going to 100% follow through, but I let it go for this year since she did it before the time we had to officially accept or decline and because I hadn't had that particular conversation with her before--I've talked to her sister about accepting any part once you have auditioned but never thought to with younger dd. I also told her they would probably think back to this next year when casting, but that's one of those lessons life will teach her and I won't need to.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #66 
This is our first ever Nutcracker experience.  DD13 was cast as the Mouse King and she is thrilled.  She is also in Snow (en pointe), Waltz of the Flowers, and the Battle Scene. I have to (hang head in shame here) admit I know very little about the Nutcracker and I'm not even exactly sure what these roles are.  Time to start watching some youtube videos!

Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Tappingfeet, congrats to your dd!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappingfeet
This is our first ever Nutcracker experience.  DD13 was cast as the Mouse King and she is thrilled.  She is also in Snow (en pointe), Waltz of the Flowers, and the Battle Scene. I have to (hang head in shame here) admit I know very little about the Nutcracker and I'm not even exactly sure what these roles are.  Time to start watching some youtube videos!

Balanchine's Nutcracker is on DVD / Netflix
bethanyio

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Just heard that DD9 is a boy in the party scene! She is very small for her age, so that may have played a party, but is a good actress (probably better than dancer lol) We are from a small town and this is the first local Nutcracker in several years ...  so excited to be part of it!!
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
My DD is over the moon! She's a party girl. [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Quote:

DD's Company does Balanchine's Nut.  I love it and it's so nice to get to see something a little different for a change.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Quote:

DD's Company does Balanchine's Nut.  I love it and it's so nice to get to see something a little different for a change.

How is Balanchine's nut different from others?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #73 
The question should really be how are other Nuts different from Balanchine's? 

While any company needs to get permission to do Balanchine's, it seems the majority of Nutcrackers in the US and perhaps around the world closely follow Balanchine's version. And it is more than just permission to do Balanchine's Nutcracker, it is done with the permission and under the watchful eye of the Balanchine Trust. Dd is very lucky to study under a Balanchine repetiteur, someone who is authorized to teach the works of Balanchine. I believe all the current repetiteurs danced for him at NYCB. 

Dd and I used to watch so many versions of the Nut between all the local productions including the local professional company, NYCB and ABTs and then all the versions on TV. Ovation TV, which we no longer have, does a battle of the Nutcrackers every year showing 5 different Nuts. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
The question should really be how are other Nuts different from Balanchine's? 

While any company needs to get permission to do Balanchine's, it seems the majority of Nutcrackers in the US and perhaps around the world closely follow Balanchine's version. And it is more than just permission to do Balanchine's Nutcracker, it is done with the permission and under the watchful eye of the Balanchine Trust. Dd is very lucky to study under a Balanchine repetiteur, someone who is authorized to teach the works of Balanchine. I believe all the current repetiteurs danced for him at NYCB. 

Dd and I used to watch so many versions of the Nut between all the local productions including the local professional company, NYCB and ABTs and then all the versions on TV. Ovation TV, which we no longer have, does a battle of the Nutcrackers every year showing 5 different Nuts. 

DD's many, many Nuts were nothing like Balanchine's.  Her SO danced with Irine Fokine and still guested at her studio in NJ up until just a few years ago.  His Nutcracker is a mix and it is his "own", but definitely not Balanchine.  And yes, hers is set by the Balanchine Trust.  After watching about 25 of the same thing over the years, seeing something else is such a relief. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #75 
I thought I should expand on that a little more.

When I watch NYCB or PA Ballet's Nut, both Balanchine's, they are essentially the same, down to the costuming. There may be some tiny specifics that are different, but if there are, I am not aware. 

When I go watch a neighborhood production, I see many elements in the choreography from Balanchine's. For ex, many will do the Candy Cane dance (Russian music) with hoops. That actually comes from a Russian dance that Balanchine lifted it from, but it is often credited to him. As a difference, some Nuts will use Russian character dancing of some sort to that music.  Balanchine's version uses Mother Ginger and Polichinelles (little clowns that come out from the skirt). You will see that in many productions. In contrast, other productions will do this with little bears, gingerbread cookies, bonbons, etc... a dance of some sort without Mother Ginger. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.