Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
DDdances

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Auditions were last month and results will be sent at the end of this month when weekend rehearsals begin, except Sugar Plum/Cavelier which have already been selected and started rehearsing.
Other than leads, parts determined by dancers level.
Sarah

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
This is our first time -- our auditions are next weekend!!  Ours is not in-studio, but with a traveling company.
momtodancinggirl

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We have our fall show, Evening of Music and Dance, this weekend and DD performs it again in a month in another city. Sometime in between we'll get Nutcracker casting. There are no auditions, the company is simply placed in parts based on casting done in company class (i.e., basically we get what we get, lol)
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Just changed studios but dd14 was Clara's friends in the nut last year. Its a group of 6-8 girls that dance with Clara at the party scene, get to pass boxes of presents to each other and then open their boxes at the end of the part. Dd enjoyed that role.

This year, dd will have an opportunity to audition for a nut part with a professional ballet company that comes into town each year. How thrilling if she gets a part! Several girls from our new studio did last year.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Waiting on results from the audition last weekend...which means my kids are asking me to check my email every 5 seconds.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 

The pre-Nut audition concerns have begun!

Classes began and dd's level is HUGE! She was prepared that it would be larger. The level had about 25 last year, but only about 16 came regularly. 3 went off to college, 3 went off to company affiliated schools. Of those, 2 were not what she considered the regulars (who came every day). She knew that the level was going to be a little larger as there were a good number of dancers being moved up. She even knew that there were at least 2 new to the school. What she didn't know was that there were even more new to the school. Her level will be over 30 dancers this year, probably about 35 total. Dd seems to believe that they are all the type that will come everyday and they will all want to do the Nutcracker, ie much more competition for the few more featured parts. 

It's not your normal Nut and it's a small stage so there is not a huge corps for things like Snow and Flowers. I think Snow is 6 dancers and Flowers is 4 plus 2 demis plus one Dewdrop (well, the equivalent as it is not your normal Nut [smile]). 

All that is the backstory to explain why dd is now concerned that not only will she not get anything new (was hoping for something like the equivalent of Coffee, lead Marzipan, another little featured bit), she might not even get all that she had before and won't get to dance as often. 

She was regretting her decision to stay one last semester. [frown] I said it will only make moving on to her trainee position all the more better. I also feel for those in the level below her. They are usually snow and flowers, along with dancers in her level. If there are really going to be so many in her level taking those roles, it means those in the level below may not get to finally get to do those roles. It will be interesting to see how it all works out!

BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
My daughter is auditioning for the first time this year with our province's ballet company.  She's really really excited as this is one of her dreams.  October 4th is the date.  She would be pleased with any role.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Just saw that the school kids auditions for Nut are happening this Sunday.  Makes it seem more real now.  As I said, I don't think DD will see a cast list until late October or November. 
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My DD 13 switched studio this fall and for the first time since she was 7 is able to be in nutcracker (she was always too tall before). She is so excited. She was cast as Marzipan and Flower and in an understudy for Snow. She is just over the moon. She is beyond grateful and excited. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Congrats to your dd, @Becca! I was thinking of her and wondering if she would get to do a Nut this year. So glad she has the opportunity again after all these years.

Dd was chatting with a friend last night about this being the last time they will likely even have a shot at soloist or even semi-featured roles in Nut for quite some time, if ever again. I think she's letting go of her worries about casting if she's even saying that. [smile]
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 

Tendumom-

I hope your dd get exactly what she wants but either way she has a bright future ahead of her. So exciting!

melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #37 
My DD10 was on the fence about auditioning, but she's going for it. Auditions are on Sunday. We won't find out for a few weeks after that.
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Auditions here today for us, My DD8 will be a mouse, she's insanely excited. She's more excited that she got told she had a lovely releve and plie, by the ballerina from Moscow doing the auditions. It was down to her and one other girl for the solo for the mice, the other girl got it but my daughter was excellent and gave her a hug and congratulated her. I'm much prouder of the good sportsmanship behavior to be honest.

So I guess we're in for our first nutcracker experience this year, I wish we had options other than the Moscow ballet but that's all we have here.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
And now we wait. 

Dd came home pretty much flying after the audition yesterday. Keeping fingers crossed that she is not in for a crash. She says her goal was to get a part she didn't have last year- was hoping for the lead in the dance to the Marzipan music or the Arabian music pas. Her school does a different Nut so the actual parts are different and not quite traditional. Said people clapped for her when she did Dewdrop! I think her hopes are sky high now, which is a worry. Have yet to figure out casting at this school and never will. [smile]  She is hoping not to get a part that rehearses during the week because she doesn't want to be there so late (2 hr commute home) and has mixed feelings about the part she had last year that rehearses on Sundays as it is being rechoreographed this year and the audition was a lot of fun for that role. I am hoping she is not cast in a part that normally rehearses on Sundays!!! LOL. Would make her last semester living at home a little easier!
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Fingers crossed for her - I hope she is thrilled with whatever she gets!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Waiting . . This was the first year DD16 had to go to the audition without her big sister.  She made the first callback but claims she bombed it and we even had a few tears.  I am hoping some of it was just emotional miss my sister stuff.  We usually have results by last night and still nothing this morning so that makes me nervous.  Almost 300 auditioned across all ages.  
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Wishing all your kids the best of luck with their auditions!

Shockingly...In all her years dancing, DD has never done a "Nut" so every year I live the anticipation and excitement vicariously through all of you on this board! 

Again, wishing all of you and your DD's happy castings this Nutcracker season!
bethanyio

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #43 
This was DD9's first year of auditioning and no word yet!  What parts wpuld small dancers usually get?  She does only very basic tumbling and looks young for her age?  She danced the party scene during the audition and then was lined-up a couple of times for some height checks (She was consistently in the line, but other dancers were in and out)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 

Casting is up and it's a mixed bag. I think dd is going to be disappointed in some ways but absolutely thrilled in others. So weird to know before she does. I hate this sort of thing! The ups and downs of casting.  She is still in class and the list was just posted on line. 

The good news is that she got Dewdrop! Granted, this is not a normal Nutcracker so Dewdrop is called something else and is a different sort of part (there's partnering in it.. it's got a touch of Sugar Plum to it as it there is no Sugar in this show).  She never imagined before the audition that she would get that part. That said, I see they cast 6 different Dew Drops, so she will only get 1 or 2 shows. Kind of annoyed that they cast more than 5 as there are 10 shows and the other leads have only 5 or less in the role (5 Claras). Sadly, I suspect that donations play a role in that. Oh well.  She also got lead Marzipan (also called something else), Flower Demi, Flower and Snow. She was sure she would be Clara's mom again as she did a great job with that last year, but I suspect they gave that role to others in her level who did not get anything else that is more of a lead. Must have been very tough casting as they had an over abundance of older advanced dancers this year! 

She did not get Arabian or Spanish. She thought she had Arabian in the bag at the audition and did very well with Spanish. I suspect it is to spread the wealth a little. Haven't looked that closely at the list yet to see if things are more spread out this year. 

The craziest thing is that we won't get performance casting until about a week before the shows. I have to give my requests for December by Halloween. Really do not want to miss seeing her do Dewdrop! Oh... and if the rehearsal schedule is like last year, MINIMAL SUNDAYS!!!!!! Fingers crossed for that one! 

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
@bethanyio , it depends on the individual production. At both of dd's schools. the youngest/smallest dancers were angels. At her first school, which did a more traditional Nutcracker, other parts for younger or smaller dancers included little mice in the battle scene and bon-bons (also called polichinelles- in some productions, they come out from under the skirt of Mother Ginger). There is another local school production that mixes the younger and smaller dancers into other parts too, so there might be a few little ones doing something on the side while the older dancers perform Chinese Tea and they had plenty of small ones in the party scene. While at dd's school, the party girls were dancers who were en pointe (even though they were not in that scene). 

Good luck to her! Any idea how long it will take to hear? 

Funny thing.. dd looked at her Time Hop app yesterday. For the last 5 years, she was waiting on audition results on 9/21 and posted about it on social media! LOL. I don't think she actually posted about this year. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 

I am monopolizing the conversation here at the moment because I am home alone and dd is on a subway without a signal. [smile] She did call home briefly and she is THRILLED!

And that's all I really need to know. [smile] Happy girl=relieved mom! LOL. I think there have been so many years with disappointments in the past that I have a touch of PTNS (post-traumatic-Nut-syndrome) and expect the worst sometimes. 

She did mention the rehearsal schedule. I had not looked at all. It's nice that they put out several weeks of rehearsal info at once. The good news is there are no early Saturday rehearsals for the next several weeks. That would have been fun with her last class on Fridays getting out late and then the 2 hr commute- not. The bad news is that some of the traditional Saturday rehearsals (at least as of last year) are now on Sundays. So much for a day off from commuting each week. 

I guess the kids already analyzed the list and saw that almost all in their level got 3-4 parts, so things are spread out which is really nice. 

dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Tendumom, I'm so happy your DD got a fantastic role for her last student nutcracker! Congrats to her!
bethanyio

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Wow awesome for her!! 

They did not say when ours will be posted!  It's hard to keep little ones at bay [smile]  especially when this is their first experience with it!  The real downfall is that we cannot practice on Fridays because she has her ballet, jazz, tap core classes at the studio then!  So hopefully it will work out!  They said rehearsals are 'weekends' - so who knows!
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Congrats to your daughter Tendumom! Glad your DD is pleased as that's a big part of the joy.

DD's school started rehearsals last week. She has 2 leads - as a doll and in Arabian. She is also in the two corp pieces, one of which she did last year. Needless to say she is very excited for Nut this year. She also got in to a 9 month long ballet class series at our local major performing arts center where visiting ballet companies (think big names) have an agreement to offer a master-type class to a group of select ballet students so she will be busy in Oct and Nov attending a few classes and hopefully some working rehearsals when they don't overlap with rehearsals. We feel lucky to be in an fairly urban area with great opportunities.

Merde to all your dancers.  Nut is such a part of our dancers' lives here in the US and it will be so strange to not have Nut in our lives in a few years!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Thanks!

@Mom2tall, I think I know the program. Dd had a friend who was able to do it a while back and loved it! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: