Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 5      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I didn't see a post for this yet, so I thought I'd start - anyone else going through Nutcracker auditions for this year yet?

Ours were about two weeks ago, and we got the cast list tonight. It's not our studio, but a local one that will allow outside dancers to audition. DD11 had a really good experience last year, and so she and DD8 both auditioned this year. It's DD8's first time, and she was cast as a mouse and an angel. DD11 was cast as "Clara's friend" in the party scene - not sure how that's different from a regular Party Girl; I'm guessing that it's an in-between because she hasn't been on pointe long enough to be a "Party Girl en Pointe" and is older than the other party girls. Wait and see I guess, but regardless, she's happy about it. She really likes the party scene in general, so I doubt she'd care which role she got so long as she was in it somewhere! And she also got cast as a Jester, which she is over the moon excited about because she gets to incorporate her tumbling, which she loves.

So how is it going for everyone else?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Clara's friend in the nuts I've seen is generally a smaller group that dances with Clara during the party scene and is with the girls their size for the rest of it.

Auditions tomorrow but they said casting wouldn't be until the end of October. 
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Our auditions are in a few weeks!  Congrats to your DDs!
slattshe

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our auditions are mid Sept.  This will be DD's first year auditioning.  Eek! 
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DD is an ex gymnast and has been a jester before, too- tumbling comes in handy sometimes! In our Nut Claras friends are a small group of girls (en pointe) who dance around with Clara. There are many party girls but Claras friend is a bigger role.

No Nutcracker here this year, auditions are next weekend but we are moving at the end of the month. DD has only done 2 actually, but she got both her most wanted roles, Arabian soloist and Clara, so I guess it worked out. We are moving overseas, and there isn't the Nutcracker tradition. Her school she will attend does actually do one, but auditions were long ago and it's a professional company production with limited roles for children. Since DD will be (most likely) the only student of a different race, it's not terribly likely she will be cast for Nutcracker there, but it is what it is. She is too old for party girl or angel, and looks too different for snow flurry (like a little snow) or young Clara. Those appear to be the only childrens roles, so...no more Nutcracker. I can't say I'm sad, the music makes me stubby and I've only had to sit through two! I'm a sucky ballet mom, lol.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I *love* Nutcracker!! Sadly, when DD decided to switch studios a year and a half ago Nutcrcker went with it (her previous studio has a ballet company who puts on the only Nutcracker in a few hours' drive radius). We both miss it a bit, but I will say that last fall it was pretty nice to have time for something else than Nut rehearsals and Nut sewing..! [wink]
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We have auditions tomorrow and will find out roles on Mon or Tues! So excited! My girls don't really care what parts they get! My older dd just would rather not be in the Chinese scene, she has done it 3 years in a row and wants something new! Lol. Can't wait!
We begin rehearsals as early as next Friday!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Auditions are not until mid-September. They do an unusual Nut where the party scene is literally about 5 minutes. It will be her last in a student based company. I expect her parts will be relatively the same, but I am hoping she won't get one of the parts that rehearses mainly on Sundays so she can have an occasional day off! Though, we did learn that the Sunday rehearsing role she had last year is being rechoreographed and she loves that choreographer and his work... and he seems to like her too. So, who knows? It's the Bonbon/MotherGinger/Polichinelle music but something else entirely. 

Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Congrats to your DDs! [smile]

We have about two more weeks before auditions. I don't think anything will top last year for dd11 (at least until she is tall enough for the corps roles in another year or two). She had three parts and was on stage a lot--it was really fun. Dd9 really wants to be a ginger.

Good luck to everyone!
Daniella03

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My DD8 will be eligible for the first time for it. The only nutcracker in our area is the Moscow ballet. I wish there were other options for it really. She will audition and hopefully not be too tall for any of the roles. We've been told they try to take as many as possible who will fit the costumes, more moms and dads to buy expensive tickets to watch them then, lol. We went to see it last year so we know the child roles are very simplistic and they're basically moving props, but Isobel was awed by actually being on stage with a professional ballet dancer and dancing in the actual theater and having fancy ballet costumes. So I'm paying the $25 audition fee and I'll pay the $25 costume fee and she can be in heaven for 8 weeks of rehearsal and then I'll cringe as I buy the tickets to watch her.
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our new studio is doing a Nutcracker Suite this year.  It is a shortened version of essentially Scene 3.  They have hired in professionals for the bigger parts and will be having a live chorus integrated into the show.  I am really excited to see it all come together!

DD12 has been cast as Clara.

DD14 is a Flower Demi-soloist and part of a Marzipan Trio.  She is also the understudy for Dew Drop

(And with this information, my anonymity for any local DM's is now destroyed!)
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Things are going very well for the professional company, which has added dancers, trainees, and apprentices.  Things are going great for the school, which is adding students at all levels.  Many are excited for the new venue which has already sold a good number of seats for this year's Nutcracker and which has generated a lot of interest from students at other schools who are expected to come to the open auditions for Nutcracker this weekend.  The upshot for DD, however, is that she will not even be considered for roles that in prior years were filled by dancers from her level, which includes Clara.  She wasn't allowed to audition with the majority of her level, who are older than her, but was directed to attend the children's audition.  Children's roles are mostly cast by costume size.  Everyone gets a role, but she is unlikely to get two like she has in the past.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
That's tough, @ggsmith. We had a year like that for dd. There was a sudden influx of students at and just above her level. She was lucky to end up with two parts but never got to do both in one show. Oddly enough, the next year, there was an influx of dancers a little lower/younger than her level and some of those that were there the previous Nut were gone. So, she was back to multiple parts in every show. You just never knew from year to year. Hope she has fun with it anyway!
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Good point, Tendumom!  And of course if she keeps working hard and growing as a dancer eventually she should reach a level (and height!) where she'll be considered for better roles.  We always talk about how casting has as much to do with who shows up as with how you perform when you show up.  She's excited to do it this year again and she is working on a yagp variation as well so she has some challenging choreography to work on this fall and an upcoming chance to shine on stage.  It is nice to be able to come here, though, and "say" the things you can't say anywhere else.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD is starting at a new studio that does an in-studio Nutcracker.  Our previous studio did not do a Nutcracker so this is her first experience with this performance.  Auditions are at the end of September.  We have no idea what to expect or what roles she'll be eligible for.  She's really excited about this new opportunity.  
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Our studio is doing a Nutty Nutcracker this year.  I can't wait to see what our SO comes up with.  So far I know that the party scene is going to be to some kind of video game music and she is asking for any broken game controlers for props.  My DS7 is super excited about it.  I know she is also doing a music mashup of the russian dance with the Cups song.  Not sure when auditions will be but I will update after.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
No Nutcracker for Ash this year.  Between her classes, Poms and studio dance, she is stretched to her limits. [frown]
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbearsmom
Our studio is doing a Nutty Nutcracker this year.  I can't wait to see what our SO comes up with.  So far I know that the party scene is going to be to some kind of video game music and she is asking for any broken game controlers for props.  My DS7 is super excited about it.  I know she is also doing a music mashup of the russian dance with the Cups song.  Not sure when auditions will be but I will update after.

This sounds totally fun! Would love to see it!!!
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

Please post Video's when you have them.. This should be interesting.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Last year, dd literally learned every female part for Nut, as an understudy or just doing it on her own.  I have a feeling she will probably get the same parts she did last year, as she is the newest and youngest apprentice.  Maybe something different, but not holding my breath.  I don't think they get the cast list until October or early November.
lilyzdancemom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
 didn't see a post for this yet, so I thought I'd start - anyone else going through Nutcracker auditions for this year yet?

Ours were about two weeks ago, and we got the cast list tonight. It's not our studio, but a local one that will allow outside dancers to audition. DD11 had a really good experience last year, and so she and DD8 both auditioned this year. It's DD8's first time, and she was cast as a mouse and an angel. DD11 was cast as "Clara's friend" in the party scene - not sure how that's different from a regular Party Girl; I'm guessing that it's an in-between because she hasn't been on pointe long enough to be a "Party Girl en Pointe" and is older than the other party girls. Wait and see I guess, but regardless, she's happy about it. She really likes the party scene in general, so I doubt she'd care which role she got so long as she was in it somewhere! And she also got cast as a Jester, which she is over the moon excited about because she gets to incorporate her tumbling, which she loves.

Glad you guys are doing our Nutcracker again! You are right about Clara's friend role. It's for older girls that aren't ready for party girl en pointe but too old or too tall for regular party girl. I don't really remember what they do in terms of dancing. Jester is a super fun role!
Lily is a party girl en pointe, Arabian, and in the Waltz of the Flowers.

Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyzdancemom
Quote:
 didn't see a post for this yet, so I thought I'd start - anyone else going through Nutcracker auditions for this year yet?

Glad you guys are doing our Nutcracker again! You are right about Clara's friend role. It's for older girls that aren't ready for party girl en pointe but too old or too tall for regular party girl. I don't really remember what they do in terms of dancing. Jester is a super fun role!
Lily is a party girl en pointe, Arabian, and in the Waltz of the Flowers.

Thanks! We had a great time last year, so there was no question in DD11's mind that she'd be doing it again [biggrin] I think she was floored when they announced her for Jester - she wasn't expecting it. Congrats on Lily's parts! DD11 LOVES Arabian - I think that's one of her ultimate goals, to dance in that one at some point down the road, when she's old enough and sufficiently advanced.
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Nutcracker started for us 2 weeks ago.  DD is in Flowers, Snow, Chinese, and is the Rat King this year.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Congrats! 

Our studio doesn't do Nutcracker, but there are others around us that do and some are open to outsiders auditioning.  With DD's busy schedule for her studio/comp requirements it just isn't feasible. 
Sarahbearsmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer1234
Quote:

Please post Video's when you have them.. This should be interesting.

Very interesting ... [smile]  She is trying very hard to do a funny version without making fun of it, if you know what I mean.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: