Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 5      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #76 
So the semi official ( can change) cast list came out and Dd is NOT mouse queen after all- lol! She's been battling shin splints and so he wanted to wait to see how she is doing as it has lots of jumps and leaps! She is however a party woman - guess they do a dance in character shoes, a big angel, an arabian, snow corp, flower corp and devil doll. So she's going to learn quite a bit! 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Congrats!

So, what is devil doll? Is it one of the dolls in the party scene or something else? 
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Devil doll I have been told is part of the party scene- there are two and I guess for this Nutcracker it was a coveted role the kids have all told my DD that she is lucky! I haven't seen it so I am truly clueless!
They are doing three shows and some parts are triple xast others double cast- guess we'll see how it all shakes out. She having fun and really enjoyed snow rehearsal tonight! 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
She is lucky! A doll in the party scene was a role my dd once aspired to, but her then ballet school stopped doing Nutcrackers in favor of a different winter ballet. (We live in the land of Nutcrackers, nearly every studio whether they are ballet based or not does one). Her current school does a shortened party scene which takes place in contemporary times and there are no dancing dolls to be found anywhere.   
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #80 
So, our studio is not exactly doing a traditional Nutcracker, but rather scenes or excerpts from the Nutcracker as part of a fundraiser dinner/tricky tray. Our SO started a foundation that raises money to provide dance education programs to children afflicted with cancer. 

We are a very small studio so most of the older girls have dual roles.
DD (14) got her parts today and she is thrilled. She is in Waltz of the Flowers, Arabian, Spanish, and.....she is Clara! She's very excited as the studio has not done a Nutcracker since she was just starting out in dance and too young to participate.
mommytomany

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #81 
First year nutcracker nubies. I don't think I have any idea what I just got myself into. She is doing a professional version and is in a child's role...so more about how costume fit than anything! Still, she is very excited. She is in battle scene and is a polichinelle.
gymdancermom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #82 
DD6 is in Nutcracker for the first time this year.  It's a school production where her entire class is in a scene together playing candy that comes out from a box played by a person (like the polinchinelles in most productions).  It's a very casual production but nevertheless we are excited!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Still no casting for Nut.  Would be nice to know what dd is doing this year.  Maybe next week?
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Still no casting for Nut.  Would be nice to know what dd is doing this year.  Maybe next week?

Wow that seems late for not having casting yet?  Have they started rehearsals at all?
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
dancer1234 - dd is 20 and an Apprentice in a Company, so this is pretty normal, although later than last year.  She is the youngest member of the company so I don't think her roles will be much different than last year.  They are expected to pick things up quickly and they all have been doing Nutcrackers most of their lives.  They do George Balanchine's Nut, so it's a little different, but not too much.  No rehearsals yet, but hopefully next week or the next.  It's not as nerve wracking when you know your child isn't going to be the Sugar Plum Fairy, but every year I still wait to hear.  I guess it's a habit or traditional kind of thing that never goes away.  [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Coincidentally - casting was just posted.  First cast for Spanish, first cast for Party Mom, First cast for Snow and Waltz and no understudy for one of them, but forgot which one.  Pretty much the same as last year, but that's what we expected.  Just happy to know what I get to see this year!
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Congrats to your daughter ballerinamom13. Nice to hear she hasn't had Nut rehearsals since September like our younger dancers. I hope she is enjoying her apprenticeship so far this year.

DD's Nut is over fairly early in December which is nicer than the up to New Year's run she had with the company affiliated school she was with a few years ago but it makes Sept, Oct and Nov super busy. 
Merde to all our dancing Nuts!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Thank you, mom2tall. She is enjoying this year.  And I'm enjoying the break from financial ruin.  LOL!! 
And yes, Merde to all.  Can't wait to hear how the shows go!
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #89 
We had our Nutcracker this past weekend.  DD had a great time (Rat King, Snow, Flowers, and Chinese Dragon), and looked great on stage.  Wonderful production all around.  She is sad that it is over, but I have to admit I am glad we are done already.  At least we are back down to our normal schedule for a bit. First competition is not until February.
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Tech week is underway for DD with 6 performances this weekend followed by another weekend of smaller versions/fancy tea performances.  DD is excited to be a princess doll - pink and white tutu of her preschool dreams - pretty sure that's what led her to ballet [biggrin], Arabian solo, a role she has always wanted and Snow and Flowers corp. 
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #91 
Nutcracker is very late this year, only a few days before Christmas.  The new venue is selling lots of tickets and the AD is pulling out all the stops when it comes to costuming, props and backdrops.  All of the major roles this year are paid company except for Clara, who is a trainee and several years older than our usual.  Children's roles were reduced and are all being danced by older children than usual.  DD was lucky to snag a small feature during the children's divertissment in Act 2 and will be acting up as a rat in the background during the battle scene.  I'm sure it will be a great Nutcracker, but I do find myself wishing for a different Christmas show.  DD is very excited for her first featured role and I'm very happy for her! 
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #92 
We're ramping up for DD11's first Nutcracker this weekend. Somehow she thought it would be a good idea to be a part of her school production as well as the outside studio we are participating with. I think it finally hit her recently that she over-committed herself, but nothing I said was making a difference back in September, so I guess this is just a lesson she had to learn for herself! She still is loving it, but the increased rehearsal demands after school over the past two weeks in addition to the weekend rehearsal demands for the studio nutcracker and her home studio's comp pieces are leaving her exhausted. School has a performance for the elementary school on Thursday, and then a Friday and a Saturday show for the general public. Thankfully, the bigger production is later, so she can focus solely on that after she gets through this weekend. And then she has a dramatic drop-off in class time for a week after the second production followed by a week off, which I think is sorely needed. She finally admitted it was too much last week and swears: next year, ONE Nutcracker [biggrin]

Strangely (or not, considering her love of tumbling), her second act role is Jester in both shows. I asked her a while back how she keeps them straight. She said they are dramatically different, from costume to choreography, so it's not an issue despite the same music. I continue to be amazed by how many different pieces these dancers can keep straight in their minds.

Hope everyone's shows are going well!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #93 

Interesting that the role has the same name in both shows too! Dd has never been done a Nut with a second act Jester. Is it the Russian/Candy Cane/Hoops music or the Polichinelle/Mother Ginger music? I could see it be either. 

I also get tired of the same show year after year and am glad dd has had the chance to do a few different ones. I love when companies change it up and add something different to the traditional Nut!  Her comp studio when she was young did a shortened Nut. Her ballet studio did a nicely done Nut with a fun party scene and then changed to a different winter ballet. Her current ballet school does a NYC themed Nut that takes place in current times (think kids on cell phones in the party scene). They have 2 weeks of performances, with 2 per day on Sat and Sun. She even gets one performance off in the run, but will work back stage for that. 

Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #94 
For both shows, the jester role is to the Polichinelles music. In the school one, there are 6 jesters, and it is really more of a gymnastics role - lots of tumbling passes, hand walking, etc. Costumes are brightly colored unitards with traditional jester hats. For the studio Nutcracker, it's a traditional ballet-focused Mother Ginger scene, with the polichinelles emerging from under Mother Ginger's skirt and the two jesters being the demi-solo roles for the scene. More of a clown feel to the costumes - still bright colors, but looser tunics and pants or tights. There is tumbling, but integrated with the actual ballet steps. I like both, for different reasons! Regardless, she's happy with them [smile]

I've seen you describe your studio's nutcracker before, and it sounds so neat - love the different takes on a classic!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #95 
My little one says she feels so unprepared.  The nut here feels far more like a recital than the big drama filled (although with less dancers) shows we've done in the past.  They haven't had much rehearsal at all and I can't figure out how they're going to get all the different casts rehearsed with the times they have scheduled.  I'm sure it'll be fine but the way this show is rehearsed just confuses me.

And my daughter has different parts in every show.  I really don't want to watch the show three times or buy tickets for three shows but I still want to see her.  I'm thinking about just showing up for the act that she's in for the two shows where she only dances one part.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #96 
I feel the same about the multiple cast thing! They literally have 10 different casting combinations this year! There were multiple casts last year, but not to this extent. A large influx of advanced students and a smaller than average number of roles in this Nut (for ex only 4 flowers and 5 or 6 snowflakes) resulted in this. Dd says the powers that be have already said that they will likely give less roles to students in the future if this continues, so they will do each part more instead what ends up being a different part in each show. Not as much fun to go and watch your kid dance in just one short number when you are used to seeing them in multiple parts. I can watch dd perform as Dewdrop, Lead Marzipan, Snow, Flower or Demi. There is only one show where she has two roles and that is Snow and Dew. I have tickets to see her for that one and her other Dewdrop. Will prob buy one more to see her as Lead Marzipan and will likely work backstage for the rest (where I can hopefully see her dance from the wings)
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #97 
This is the first year our studio hasn't done much double casting. Only mouse queen and some of the younger kid parts are double cast. At first, dd was disappointed when she heard this was happening because she likes getting the opportunity to learn lots of different parts; but this year they have understudies for all of the lead parts, which they have never done before. In the past, since the parts were double cast, there were two dancers for every part, so that was like a built in understudy. Everything turned out fine, and dd ended up with four parts, plus two others she is an understudy for. She is very happy.
spiritmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #98 
DD's first performance with the Charlotte Ballet Nutcracker here in Charleston, SC is tomorrow!  She is a candy cane and one of Clara's friends in that cast and then Clara in the Saturday evening show. She has so enjoyed this whole experience.  The first reherasal with the CB company members was yesterday and she said the dancers were so nice and a lot of fun.  She performed in the Moscow Ballet Nut two other times years ago but this is a completely different experience.  She was tired when she got home last night and her feet were hurting but she could not stop talking about the rehearsal and couldn't wait to go back today. So fun to watch her really enjoy this whole process!

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #99 
A sure sign serious Nut rehearsals are in progress:
IMG_4392.PNG 
She couldn't get her rain boots on after rehearsal last night.

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #100 
Horray!  Apparently someone quit and my daughter got one of her parts so now I only need to see two of the shows.  Yay! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: