Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
golightly1118

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I'm lucky-our studio doesn't do any major travel for competitions. That was one of my first questions!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Thank goodness ours doesn't do Nationals either. Too many students are off at SIs to even consider it!!
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
You've already received some great advice here.

I also echo there being no need to keep up with the Joneses here. Please do not compare your family's situation with another dancer's or compare your dancer to another dancer. We all do what works for us. It's all about what works for your family. Just make sure you don't get caught up in keeping up and spend money you don't have or try to make your daughter something she isn't. I see both of those at our studio, and the latter one breaks my heart.

As far as cost, for us the cost the first year actually ended up saving me money because she agreed to quit gymnastics to pursue dance (this was in kinder, but she was pre-team at gymnastics). This saved me both money (since studio charges based on a sliding scale for hours) and time since I only had to take her one place.

Don't get me wrong, the cost is considerable, even more so now, but we pay it because it works for us. Our studio only does 3 competitions (all within a couple hour drive). We do not do a nationals as our SO thinks the money would be better spent on summer intensives, etc. Most families at our studio are fairly frugal like me so we don't buy a lot of the extras and there is no pressure to do so, and whenever we do community events it's not the sort of thing we have to buy extra items for. Most of us don't buy stuff at comps except video or photos, which we often coordinate to buy at a lower rate. 

As far as taking away from dad time, it doesn't have to. We use comps as mini vacations, and my husband enjoys feeling manly and building props and working security at recital. Our dancer is very high energy, too, so she drives him nuts on days she doesn't dance.

I also second the benefits of learning to be on a team, higher grades, etc. All has been true for my daughter, but I understand that is not always the case.

On another note, DD is in it for the performing aspect (not necessarily the price/winning aspect), too. IMO, she seems to enjoy dance more than some of her cohorts that are in it to win.

Honestly the best advice I can give you, though, is to accept help where it's offered and don't feel like you're obligated to do more than what you want to do (unless you already signed off on it lol). Lately, we've been doing carpooling, etc, and it's been such a load off.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I know it dave9988!  Sorry you share in the frustration.  I never see the value in nationals, so wish we didn't have to go, but it comes with our comp team requirements - at least for now.

On a happier note, some years we get a nice vacation, some years we don't, but I could have one every year without comp dance. We love Maui, it's our favorite.  Which island(s) did you visit?  We are from the midwest, so it's a joy to have the ocean and the tropical weather especially in the winter.  Dd has apparently found an excellent dance school on Maui!  If only my job was there too - I could teach and research from anywhere, but the university does not agree.

We were on Maui, no island hopping.  My second visit to the islands, my first was our honeymoon, spent mostly on Kauai.  Ah, and DD took a ballet class at the school you found.  She enjoyed it very much!

No plans yet this summer.  The dance break weeks aren't playing nicely with my wife's work schedule.  We have a pop-up camper, might just have to make do with weekend trips. 
udamom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #30 
What does the mini team require for your studio? Ours is 2 dances... fairly inexpensive for the mini teams. It wasn't until they moved up to the petite level that it started getting more expensive. But, we CAN limit how many dances they do per year and since I have two dancing, it gets pricey. Plus, this year they have solos (both of them).  Mini's a good start to see if she wants to move forward with dance and see if her love for dance is in the competitive team or just recreational. Competition teams are expensive so I highly recommend that she is in it for the love of the dance.
golightly1118

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Our mini team also requires two dances, as well as two competitions and one convention (one of the competitions will be tied into the convention). As far as costs, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that tuition was actually going to be cheaper than paying for classes a la carte. She loves performing and is a perfectionist, so I can see this being up DD's alley. I figure if it isn't a good fit after a year, we can drop back down to rec level.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
I gotta say that if you can get away with not doing a nationals, you are so much better off.  They are so not worth it IMO.  They are just expensive regionals that require you to use your summer vacation often in a location you would never choose.  ( One of ours was Lancaster, PA, sorry, but OMG boring! The one day we spent at Hershey Park was a 45 minute drive away! Not worth it.)  One  of our former studios rarely did nationals, which I wish more studios would consider.  After recital, the kids are soooo done with those dances.  Time to start fresh at that point.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
I totally agree with you theyarg.  I heard from my dd, they will not do nationals next year.  In my opinion, hopefully never again!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: