Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone ever been to this comp? If so, could you answer a few questions? Thanks in advance!

1.) How is their video quality?
2.) Do they give out special awards?
3.) Did they run early, late, or on time?
4.) Lengthy awards?

Any other information would also be appreciated, good or bad!
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Following. Also, what do the schedules look like?
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Following. Also, what do the schedules look like?

Well, unfortunately we still don't have a schedule and the competition is this weekend. Kinda seems like a bad sign, but I'm not going to hurry to judge. The only thing we know schedule wise is that it will only be a two day event. We don't even know which days yet.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover

Well, unfortunately we still don't have a schedule and the competition is this weekend. Kinda seems like a bad sign, but I'm not going to hurry to judge. The only thing we know schedule wise is that it will only be a two day event. We don't even know which days yet.

I notice that they don't post the schedule online either. Not that I have been stalking them 😂 We are going there next weekend for the first time.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
I notice that they don't post the schedule online either. Not that I have been stalking them 😂 We are going there next weekend for the first time.

I honestly don't even know if the competition is on or off at this point.
mia'smommy

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We did this comp last year and got the schedule the Thursday before. It was only on Saturday and Sunday with minis and juniors Saturday morning, tweens Saturday evening and teen and seniors Sunday. Hope this helps!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Let me see if I can dig up Detroit's program from 2016.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
This is from 2016 - Detroit Schedule

Friday - Dancers arrive 3:30, Doors open 4:00
4:30 - tWeen Solos & Interpretative Solos
9:30 - Awards

Saturday - Dancers arrive 6:30, Doors open 7:00
7:30 - Teen Pinnacle Solos; Teen Pinnacle Interpretive Solos; Junior Non Groups (Juniors actually went first, so the order per session, doesn't mean that's what group will go first.)
12:16 -Awards
12:56 - All Minis; Junior Groups; tWeen Duets/Trios
5:56 - Awards
6:36 - Tween Groups
10:30 - Awards

Sunday - Dancers arrive 6:30, Doors open 7:00
7:30 - ALL Teen Duets/Trios; Teen Premiere/Prestige Solos; Teen Premiere/Prestige Interpretive Solos
11:56 Awards
12:36 - Teen/Senior Groups; All Productions
5:38 - Awards
6:38 - Senior Nongroups
10:37 Awards

591 Total Entries

They mix up all the specific age division solos around - one could be a tWeen beginner jazz and the next could be tWeen intermediate or even tWeen advanced contemporary, with an interpretive solo mixed in as well.

I took a pic of one of the program pages to give anyone that has access to pics an example.

Attached Images
jpeg image.jpeg (281.60 KB, 1 views)

Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:

I really encourage dancers enter the interpretive solo! DD didn't place, and I was left scratching my head with what did win, but she LOVED that part of the competition.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Has anyone ever been to this comp? If so, could you answer a few questions? Thanks in advance!

1.) How is their video quality?
2.) Do they give out special awards?
3.) Did they run early, late, or on time?
4.) Lengthy awards?

Any other information would also be appreciated, good or bad!

DD did this as an extra comp, so we were only there for the Saturday morning session.

1. I only ordered a video of her interpretive solo, but was pretty satisfied with it, albeit a bit pricey. With the video we did get a small poster-size of whatever photo image we wanted, with an inspirational saying on it. DD and I liked that.

2. I can't remember about special awards. I'm not remembering any.

3. They seemed to run on time, maybe slightly early.

4. Awards move quick - 30 minutes MAX - with titles, interpretive solos within ages and levels, they have plenty to get through.

Personally, for the younger levels, flash topped substance. No clue about older levels.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Just an update, we ended up not going due to a miscommunication between DT and the director, we will not be going back.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Just an update, we ended up not going due to a miscommunication between DT and the director, we will not be going back.

Didn't you already pay for it????
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience. We are scheduled to compete at Next Level this weekend, we did get a schedule on Sunday. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed. It's Saturday and half of Sunday. I am worried that we won't have any competition. Grrrrrrr.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Next Level is a smaller and newer competition. We went last year and we enjoyed it. We are going back this year (this weekend in fact). I don't remember anything about being on time/early/late or super lengthy awards, which I guess is a good thing, because if it had annoyed me I would have remembered it. I do remember the awards they gave out...GIANT medals, heavy, not cheap feeling...if you placed your solo and got any special awards you walked out of there with more bling than Michael Phelps. The only thing that is weird is that their age divisions are different than most competitions...for instance, some of our dances that are age 15 and normally compete in the senior division are considered teen at Next Level. Other than that...we were pleasantly surprised and are looking forward to this weekend. I hope you had a good experience as well!
aking9957

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We did this Comp last year also. We are independent and this one actually scores everyone fairly. Most comps go with their bread and butter which is studios bringing in $$$ not 1 or two solos. This comp treats everyone the same and does not even put that your child is an independent. We didn't do it this year because YAGP was the same weekend. We would do it again in a heart beat. The video and pics were excellent quality. I received them before I left and the same day we danced. As independents we also receive video critiques and they were excellent quality also. Not as important to us but for the dancers the trophies and medals were awesome. It ran ahead, awards were fast and it was a good time. It was also a first as an independent so it was a good experience all around. 

There are very few cops were an independent can win and some of that is based on cities and studios, but this one anyone can win as long as you are a good dancer.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking9957
We did this Comp last year also. We are independent and this one actually scores everyone fairly. Most comps go with their bread and butter which is studios bringing in $$$ not 1 or two solos. This comp treats everyone the same and does not even put that your child is an independent. We didn't do it this year because YAGP was the same weekend. We would do it again in a heart beat. The video and pics were excellent quality. I received them before I left and the same day we danced. As independents we also receive video critiques and they were excellent quality also. Not as important to us but for the dancers the trophies and medals were awesome. It ran ahead, awards were fast and it was a good time. It was also a first as an independent so it was a good experience all around. 

There are very few cops were an independent can win and some of that is based on cities and studios, but this one anyone can win as long as you are a good dancer.

I hate to jump in on this every time but I really feel like it has to be corrected.  Independents can and do win at quite a few if not most comps.  It's really a myth that they cannot. According to one of my dd's choreos (who also works as a judge), the judges' score sheets do not have dancer's studio or choreographer listed. And even if they do start to recognize dancers over the years.. they could never be sure that that 'new' dancer is an independent since they could simply be a new student at one of their favored studios.  We'd have to embrace quite a serious conspiracy theory to believe that they could effectively shut out independents.

Fwiw  my own dd competed for two years as an independent competing at 8 or 9 different comps (and I mean 'different').  Never once did being independent hold her back when it came to scoring/placing.  And I've known too many other independents with the same experience to think that her experience was the exception.

hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I hate to jump in on this every time but I really feel like it has to be corrected.  Independents can and do win at quite a few if not most comps.  It's really a myth that they cannot. According to one of my dd's choreos (who also works as a judge), the judges' score sheets do not have dancer's studio or choreographer listed. And even if they do start to recognize dancers over the years.. they could never be sure that that 'new' dancer is an independent since they could simply be a new student at one of their favored studios.  We'd have to embrace quite a serious conspiracy theory to believe that they could effectively shut out independents.

Fwiw  my own dd competed for two years as an independent competing at 8 or 9 different comps (and I mean 'different').  Never once did being independent hold her back when it came to scoring/placing.  And I've known too many other independents with the same experience to think that her experience was the exception.

I agree, DD has competed as an independent before, the critiques, scoring, and placement were pretty consistent with what she had received at her team comps! Almost always, comps go out of their way to be sure that the judges can not know exactly which studio they are judging.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.