Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
HappySpectator

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If anyone knows of any new studios/youth companies opening in the GTA for the fall, would love to hear about them and get a link to their website if possible.

After competing as an independent and training at various places the last couple of years, DD is considering returning full time to a competitive studio in the fall so I just wanted to make sure I knew what all her options were before making a decision.

5_6_7_8

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Which part of the GTA? Does it definitely have to be a competition studio or is she open to attending a good school that doesn't compete? What genre is your daughter best at and/or hoping to focus on?
HappySpectator

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
5-6-7-8, no, she is open to anywhere that offers strong overall training. Her strengths are hip hop, contemporary and tap. She had been training at a ballet studio primarily this past year and she went to various studios for other disciplines. Way too much driving for me and not enough consistent training in the other disciplines so she's looking into getting everything under one roof again. We're pretty open to locations anywhere in the GTA but I guess specifically Vaughan, Toronto, Markham, Richmond Hill, and Aurora.
gnmdance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't know where Canadian Dance Company is located but they are amazing!
HappySpectator

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the suggestion gnmdance. You're right. They are amazing. Dd has been dancing awhile now and I've seen most every studio within a 50 km radius of us and we're lucky that we have many great studios to choose from. I'm a do-your-homework kinda person so I'm pretty up-to-date on all the existing studios, especially the strong ones like CDC which have been around a long time. I'm interested in any new schools opening or that have opened in the last year or two in case I hadn't heard about them yet.
BTA

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Check out http://www.bridgetoartists.com
lunette

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
There are many good studios in the areas you describe but that is a huge area. My favourites would be Art and Soul, Vlad's, and Elite Dance Worx. I haven't heard of any new ones though.
momto2dancers

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I havent heard of any new ones either. For Bridge to Artists it was my understanding that the student had to be a member of Vlads Comp team.
There are many other strong existing studios that have been mentioned. PDA is another one.
I would be curious if any new ones opened in the GTA as well.
HappySpectator

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks for the input everyone. Yup, some pretty great studios are being mentioned. I've enjoyed watching all of them over the years....great technique and some pretty impressive choreography. Unfortunately all those studios mentioned won't accommodate DD's work schedule which starts up in May. I've found one high level studio that would allow her to skip recital and bow out of classes mid May.

And yes, momto2dancers, you do need to be a part of the comp team at Vlad's to join Bridge to Artists.

Honestly I was hoping that miraculously a new studio would open up, within 20 minutes of my house that offered 15-20 hours a week of training, including a solid ballet program, tap, hip hop, contemporary and jazz. There would be two competitions a year, no outrageous costumes, reasonable amount of routines (we're done with the 15-20 routines) no recital, maybe some performance opportunities. In fact I even toyed with the idea of renting a unit and starting something myself, but then common sense took over

momto2dancers

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I think your not alone HappySpectator many of us moms feel the same way - yes to the training to performances but enough with all the routines, competitions and recitals!
Let me know if you find anyone
One last thing try OIP i think in downtown.
HappySpectator

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2dancers
I think your not alone HappySpectator many of us moms feel the same way - yes to the training to performances but enough with all the routines, competitions and recitals!
Let me know if you find anyone
One last thing try OIP i think in downtown.

DD did OIP a year ago. Great place. Great instructors, but the company program runs about 8 hours on Saturdays. Dancers are then free to take as many drop-ins during the week as they'd like. Only problem is there is no consistent ballet and no tap training, at least not the year she was there.

Hearing that so many others want what my dd wants is what made me think maybe I should just open a small one studio place, hire instructors and focus on training....but it would be a huge commitment and if I couldn't find 20 dancers or so to join the program, then I'd be stuck with a lease and I'm not willing to risk that at this point....sigh. Will just keep crossing my fingers or else she's off to a what seems to be a great studio, but it's about an hour drive in traffic....sigh.
dramamama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Your area is filled with some of the strongest studios in the GTA. In my opinion, Elite Danceworx is the best up there. PDA is also there as is Vlads. CDC is on Oakville...that is very far from you. As fro "new ones" I do not know....I think going to a new one is chancy because you do not know how good they are unless you know the instructors.
drealyons

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpectator
Thanks for the suggestion gnmdance. You're right. They are amazing. Dd has been dancing awhile now and I've seen most every studio within a 50 km radius of us and we're lucky that we have many great studios to choose from. I'm a do-your-homework kinda person so I'm pretty up-to-date on all the existing studios, especially the strong ones like CDC which have been around a long time. I'm interested in any new schools opening or that have opened in the last year or two in case I hadn't heard about them yet.
drealyons

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We were at CDC for Rec 2011-2012 and while they show well, the entire vibe of the studio is AWFUL.  I can honestly say I hate that place.  A new studio opened in Oakville (where CDC is located) called Artistic Dance Scene (the owner used to be part of Oakville Academy of Arts) and it is AMAZING.  Our first year, and we are winning a ton of awards (I let my 9 yr old join the comp team because the atmosphere is so positive and nurturing).  It's just a great family, and the choreography/technique is fabulous.  Plus, since it's still on the smaller side my daughter has received a ton of personalized attention.  Really remarkable.
wcsmom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My daughter dances competitively at Dance Sensation (Richmond Hill, south of Vlad's) - amazing studio and culture.  They are top at tap (vlad's is great for lyrical, Dance Sensation is fabulous at tap)

cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 

There are also Sean Boutilier (studios in Etobicoke and Mississauga) and Artistic Edge Dance Company (which is fairly new - in Etobicoke)

Bobcandy

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My daughter is at Artistic Edge Dance Co in Etobicoke. Fantastic studio - high quality of instruction, dedicated staff. They have both FT and PT programs - my dd is in the FT program and seems to love every minute of her time there.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
There is Bold Dance Company in Mississauga but they are pretty intense and hard core for their elite team.  I believe the offer a PT team as well.  Another one in Northern Mississauga is Dance PAC.

Last I heard Sean Boutilier does not offer tap.
lauraberney

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
There is a dance studio called Performing Dance Arts which is very good for recreational and competitive dance programs, as well as excels in dance training for various dance forms like ballet, hip hop, tap, jazz, etc. 
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
The NINE opened last year and is good (if you do your homework you will recognize faculty and dancer names from previous big studios).
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Sorry I don't mean to highjack the post but I can't think of a better place to ask the question. Generally speaking do you think these big name studios would basically accept anyone who auditioned for their comp team from a business point of view (more money?) or do they only accept dancers because they see potential in them?

Because I know some smaller studios don't really turn down business as long as the dancer isn't too terrible if that make sense.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
The criteria to get on the full time teams at these elite studios is pretty high.  Most also have a part time team where the requirements are a little less.  Places like CDC, Joanne Chapman, BOLD will not accept a dancer just for the money they have to have the skills and talent to make the team.

DS came from a mega and went to a small studio in Mississauga when he was 9.  Even the smaller studio was very careful about who they allowed on the comp team.  They welcomed anyone and everyone into rec classes but if the SO didn't feel your skills were up to par you were not invited to be on company.  It's the way it should be.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
The criteria to get on the full time teams at these elite studios is pretty high.  Most also have a part time team where the requirements are a little less.  Places like CDC, Joanne Chapman, BOLD will not accept a dancer just for the money they have to have the skills and talent to make the team.

DS came from a mega and went to a small studio in Mississauga when he was 9.  Even the smaller studio was very careful about who they allowed on the comp team.  They welcomed anyone and everyone into rec classes but if the SO didn't feel your skills were up to par you were not invited to be on company.  It's the way it should be.

Reason I asked is that DD just made the switch to one of the "elites". While I understand she doesn't have the strongest technique (best tricks?) compared with what I saw at competition, now she sort of became the girl that is falling behind in class which makes me wonder. As much as I hate to put down my own child but it's also pretty obvious that some girls are way stronger than her. It doesn't affect her at all or makes her upset because she's very much enjoying all the new challenge.

Maybe I'm just overthinking.
mamaw

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Your daughter was included in the group and studio, so she has potential and will probably catch up and could even surpass some of the others.  If she is happy and working hard, give it some time...at least this year.  Talk to the teachers at the end of the year to assess her.  She could have a great potential and technique and will become more confident and polished as the year goes on.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: