Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Yeah!!!! My daughter graduated from Slippery Rock University in Western PA last year.  They were just ranked 5th in the nation.  So proud of them.  They have amazing professors and is quite affordable.  My daughter loved SRU.  So, please let me know if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer what I can.

http://www.sru.edu/news/041216f
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit I've never even heard of this school.  Thanks for sharing the article which enlightened me a little and congrats to your daughter on her graduation!  What is she doing now?  [smile]
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I went to Slippery Rock, not as a dancer, but convinced DD to look. Point Park is her number 1 choice, but I'm happy to report the SRU is a solid #2! I didn't even know they had a dance department, that's how much of a dancer I wasn't, lol
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

I was curious. I did not see 2016 on that site. SRU is in the top 25 for 2015 though. [smile] Nothing to sneeze at. 

What I was curious about was how one would rank dance colleges. http://dance-colleges.com/ is the site. This is from their methodology page : 

The ranking algorithm is based on proprietary, unique formulas that involve fifty six academic, financial, and organizational factors and metrics, as well as faculty profiles, student retention rates, and alumni job prospects. The factors are each weighted differently and are then scored to reflect program ratings.

The scores are then normalized so that consideration is given to other characteristics of the school such as the present student body enrollment, relevant faculty and staff metrics, past ranking history of the specific college, and its current trend.

To me, the most important aspects would be alumni job prospects IN dance specifically. Student retention rates could work in the an opposite manner for a school that is very successful in getting their kids into the industry. For ex, I know 2 dancers at Marymount who were hired before they graduated. I know a ballet dancer at IU who left for a company position.  A school with more faculty who come from industry is also going to have a lower ranking than a school with all teachers who have PhDs or MFAs.  Juilliard is ranked #26 on that list. They have a very high rate of employment for their dancers but don't have many of the other typical things that would make a college highly ranked. 
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thats awesome news for SRU.   DD's SO's daughter graduated from there last year, and several of the studios staff attended there.  Even though she is only 11, DD has expressed interest in Slippery Rock if we stay in PA, but BYU will always be #1 for her as we are Mormon and she loves their dance department. 
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Emerson is 7th on the list but is doesn't even have a dance major. Theater. yes. But there is only a dance minor at emerson. Weird.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
No Point Park?

And did ANY have anything but a POOR rating for personal safety? Jeez.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Yeah...this list seems really suspect to me.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Point Park is on there. Go to dance-colleges.com and see. It is not as highly rated as others. I do not put much stock into this website as I think there is a lot lacking. There are other similar sites out there such as best-catholic-colleges.com. I do not think the intentions of these sites is quite what they say it is to be. I think they take the database of available information from the US Dept of Ed and plug into their own formula and come up with these lists that really are not 100% valid.  They lump ballet and ballroom together so U of Utah comes out ahead of IU for ballet. While both are fine programs, IU is generally considered the top program by people actually in the business of ballet education. It is number 15 on that list. Utah is also excellent, likely in anyone's top 10, maybe even top 5. Carleton College is listed as having a top ballet/ballroom program, above IU and it only has a general dance degree. 
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Wow, who's button happy with the thumbs down? I can't believe someone gave me that for saying SRU is DD #2. We are headed back there on May 2nd for her to see a class and meet with department faculty.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
They gave thumbs down to most of the posts on this thread. Good luck to your dd! 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitymomof2
Wow, who's button happy with the thumbs down? I can't believe someone gave me that for saying SRU is DD #2. We are headed back there on May 2nd for her to see a class and meet with department faculty.

Read the phone monitoring thread. I think that's the down voter. A long term fraud
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: