Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Momof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, I'm new to this board and am looking for YAGP advice, tips etc. My daughter is 17, has been competing for several years but has expressed a desire to look very seriously at ballet. She's going to do YAPG this year but it's very new to us and our studio. Her DT and SO are very supportive but I just hate going into something blind. She's doing an intensive this summer at Ballet Chicago for 6 weeks but I feel like she's at a disadvantage since she's not at a ballet only studio. We're going for experience more than anything but I'm hoping it will be positive. Thanks in advance
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
This is JUST my opinion, but many, many competition dancers are now doing YAGP.  She may be at a disadvantage as far as placing because of lack of ballet training, but she won't be the only competition dancer there. If you are going for the experience, then you, yourself, can make it positive by using the judges' feedback to see what she needs to work on.  There are other threads on this board about YAGP (just do a search for "YAGP"), but Ballet Talk for Dancers has much more informative information. If the SO and DT haven't been to YAGP, I suggest you get very informed yourselves.   Good Luck to her!!!
Momof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the advice. We're definitely trying to do all the research we can. (Well I'm doing the research and she's practicing 😉)
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
What exactly do you mean by she has expressed a desire to look very seriously at ballet.  Like for a career?  Or she just wants to take lots more ballet classes?  YAGP at that level is very intense so I echo what ballerinamom said that if she is going for the experience she can get some great feedback on what to work on.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
How much ballet is she currently taking?
Momof4

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
This past year, she was around 6/7 hours a week of ballet/pointe. This summer she's doing a 6 week SI and next season she'll have around 10 hours a week in ballet/pointe in addition to her other classes for a total of 18/20 a week.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think my next question would echo Joriebelle's then. I she looking for ballet as a career or just looking to take more classes to increase her technique? If she is looking for ballet a a career I would highly recommend going on Ballet Talk for Dancers and spending a few hours reading some of the threads. 17 would be extremely late to make the decision that you want ballet as a career (though I'm sure there are exceptional dancers who have defied the odds). 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.