Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Natashabrown

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi [smile]

Been lurking for a looong time and finally started to post. DD is 9 and has been competing for a few years and is looking forward to YAGP this year. Will be her first "real" ballet comp experience.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Welcome!

YAGP at 9! I always love to see the little ones- relatively speaking... I have an older ballet dancer and 9 seems like a lifetime ago and it also seems like yesterday!
Natashabrown

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have no idea what I'm getting myself into with YAGP. I'm used to comps like NYCDA, JUMP etc.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Is your daughter at a pre-pro ballet school or a comp studio?  YAGP is fun times.  [smile]
Natashabrown

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Pre-pro, moved from comp studio [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
If you are not already on Ballet Talk for Dancers, it's time to register there. You do need an email address from your ISP or other non-web based email. They don't take gmail or yahoo but will take aol. Heavily moderated board with many rules but you will learn a lot just from reading. You can read much about YAGP and just about anything else about educating a ballet dancer. I have learned so much from that board over the years! 

9 is on the young side for YAGP. There is occasionally a dancer younger than 9, depending on the regional, but most are older. Know that no matter what anyone says, YAGP is not necessary by any means to have a career in ballet or anything else. It really is just another comp at the regional level. It was made out to some of us as this amazing, incredible competition, only for the very best dancers. That is not the case at the regionals, especially not as the regionals have increased in size dramatically over the last few years (thanks to the First Position movie. [smile]). Of course, the finals in NYC are a different story- the finals are a great competition to watch, especially the final round. We had this huge build up and then we went to watch a regional along with another friend who also came from a comp school. We were kind of disappointed that it was just another comp, just without the throwing out of frisbees and plastic trophies. A bit more sedate atmosphere than some comps, though even that seemed to change over the years with some catcalls and cheering as  certain dancers from certain big schools were announced. [redface] I'm sure that varies by location too. Our local regional always has one certain school that is known for producing so many winners that they spread their dancers out over several regionals now. 

Natashabrown

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you tendumom I am a member there, but frankly the snobbiness is really getting to me lately so I joined here [wink]
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi, Natashabrown, and welcome from the Chicago area! My DD15 is a tapper.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: