Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
[eek] Hi All! I am a mom to two little dancers.  My oldest is 9.5 and takes ballet pretty seriously now.  My little one is about to turn 7 and loves Jazz and Cheer and tolerates ballet.

We are at a small local ballet school for the last 6+ years with each girl starting when they were 3.5. Oldest now takes 5 classes per week plus rehearsal 6 mos out of the year to prep for Nutcracker and spring ballet.

DD9 and I are headed to YAGP regionals in Philly TOMORROW! EEK! I have NO idea what to expect and am pretty anxious about the whole thing.  My goals are that she enjoys herself and doesn't forget her variation, pass out, or throw up.  All advice welcome!!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Just sit back and enjoy it; she will have fun!  Nine is the youngest age for YAGP, and there is a huge difference between 9 and 11 years old in the pre-competitive category.  What variation is she doing?  Is she doing a contemporary piece too?  Is she doing the variation en pointe or in slippers?  In that category only about half are en pointe and most of those are the older girls.  Good luck to your DD and I hope she has fun!
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
She is only competing the one classical piece (more than enough for now!) She is doing the 'shades variation' from LaBayadere and 100% on flat.  Her director has a pretty hard "not before they are at LEAST 10" rule about being en pointe so she won't start training until after June when she turns 10.

She is the youngest female (there is one other 9 year old listed who is male) competitor at YAGP Philly! The director keeps mentioning it like its a big honor, to me that just means that she (the SO) is the only one crazy enough to bring a 9 year old to a YAGP regional!! and it makes me nervous that she is too young to 'hang' with the older kids. SO insists she is 'ready'. I am not expecting or looking for her to go to nationals or 'win' or anything but I don't want her to feel so defeated, or intimidated that she never wants to do anything like it again.  We don't want to do 'competitions' but are looking at YAGP as an opportunity to showcase her ballet training and perform. And I think she will get a lot out of the master classes.  I think it will give her experience for when she is auditioning for SI and things in a few years.
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Good luck! My DD (11) is competing at YAGP next weekend in Denver. It will be her first time at YAGP. She is so nervous and I have pretty much taken the same attitude as you. I just want her to enjoy the experience. My DD is also doing flat. Her dance studio will not even think of putting girls en pointe until 11 and age 12 is pretty much the standard. My DD is hoping to pass her pointe exam this spring.

One of my DD’s friends competed at YAGP at age 9. She did a classical (on flat) and a contemporary. She placed in the top 3 for both routines and scored high enough for the NY Finals. She went to finals but didn’t place there. It is not unheard of for a 9 year to do well. I hope your DD has an amazing time!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancerNJMom
She is only competing the one classical piece (more than enough for now!) She is doing the 'shades variation' from LaBayadere and 100% on flat.  Her director has a pretty hard "not before they are at LEAST 10" rule about being en pointe so she won't start training until after June when she turns 10.

She is the youngest female (there is one other 9 year old listed who is male) competitor at YAGP Philly! The director keeps mentioning it like its a big honor, to me that just means that she (the SO) is the only one crazy enough to bring a 9 year old to a YAGP regional!! and it makes me nervous that she is too young to 'hang' with the older kids. SO insists she is 'ready'. I am not expecting or looking for her to go to nationals or 'win' or anything but I don't want her to feel so defeated, or intimidated that she never wants to do anything like it again.  We don't want to do 'competitions' but are looking at YAGP as an opportunity to showcase her ballet training and perform. And I think she will get a lot out of the master classes.  I think it will give her experience for when she is auditioning for SI and things in a few years.

That's a pretty variation.  [smile]  I'm sure SO wouldn't say she was ready if she wasn't!  I really hope she enjoys it.  I think it's good that she's starting young.  It can be intimidating the first time but I'm sure she'll do great.  My DD went for the first time when she was 10 and I think I was more nervous than she was!

My DD was 9 when she got her pointe shoes but it was very limited pointe work.  She was only allowed to wear them if she was in SO's class and only for a little bit at a time.  She slowly worked up to more time in them.  We'll be at YAGP Chicago the weekend of February 2nd.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Enjoy the journey!

I'm also a NJ ballet mom. We traveled to Philly to watch a few times. Dd never competed at YAGP though. Still went and watched friends and we bought some time to watch online so dd could watch friends all over. They stopped posting the schedules though, which is kind of annoying. 

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
YAGP is fun.  Just make sure she knows to view it as an experience.  It's fun to be on stage
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

No experience with YAGP, just wanted to say welcome from another NJ dance mom.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Let us know how it goes!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Did you make the drive today? I heard they are rearranging the schedule in Philly because of the weather. They will accommodate dancers who can't make it in on time. It was on FB. Stay safe and merde to your little dancer!
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Luckily we are less than an hour away so we stayed home but now they just announced that the theater will be closed again tomorrow!!! We are waiting for information. I have the logistics of an hour commute and babysitting for my dd6 that is stressing me out. I can't imagine the out of state people who paid for flights and hotel rooms! This is nuts!!!
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
How stressful for you! The schools are closed again tomorrow. Even City government is closed and we never close. I hope this works out for you in a positive way[smile]
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
They just announced that they've been able to open and they'll take dancers whenever they show up
Dancingdd

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
How did it go? We went for the weekend just to see what it’s all about. The Rock School clearly dominated. Now I want to go to more. I’m very close to NYC but their semi finals are on a Monday and Tuesday. I may have to play hooky and go one day anyway! DD10 enjoyed it. Our studio only brings the older kids and then only the ones in company. Only the best can go.
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
It went well, we got out of it pretty much what we expected. She enjoyed performing and I believe did her best.  She enjoyed the master classes and held her own, even being the youngest.  She and her teacher are already talking about which variation she would do next year (sigh) The stress of the weather and it being our first time was a bit much but we survived.  She didn't place in the top 12 or higher, which we completely expected but the other girl our studio brought in Pre-comp did place top 12 which was a first for our little studio so that was a nice surprise.  I think this is only the 3rd or 4th time our studio has brought kids.  I definitely think it was worthwhile for what I invested since our studio lets us use their costumes (I just embellished because I'm extra!) and I only had to pay for a few privates out of pocket, the rest I traded for painting backdrops and working on costumes for our ballets. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'm glad your DD enjoyed performing and felt she did her best.  How did she like the master classes?
TinyDancerNJMom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
She liked the classes a lot.  I think she liked having the other Pre-comp girl from her studio there with her. But that made her not really talk to anyone else. Not in a rude way just that she didn't really seem to get any of the experience I have heard from others of making dance friends from other schools.

She said they didn't ask anything of her that she couldn't do and they didn't do anything she didn't understand or couldn't keep up with so that was good in my book.  She was a little worried that she would be the only only not taking the variation class in flats but she said there were a bunch of other girls who did too (although most, even in that pre-comp 9-11yo did take it in pointe shoes which I was a bit surprised by) 

I was also a bit worried that the other pre-comp girl from our studio placing top 12 and her not placing at all would worry her or she would be jealous but she seemed to be genuinely happy for her and proud of her own performance. So I am super relieved by that.  I was nervous of her getting that 'competition' mindset but it seems like all is well!

Thanks for the replies and support! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.