Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So very exciting news,
Dd has been at her SI for just over half way of her three weeks. It's very pricy, and over half a day's drive. So we didn't fill out the audition request.
Well today, one of the instructors called me to ask if she would consider auditioning. She likes her a lot and willing to offer her a reduced rate to attend.
It's a pre pro ballet school with a company attached to it and she would need to move out!! Ack! Amazing opportunity, but I don't think I'm ready, and I don't know if she's ready. I don't want her to move out at 14. But she may not get another chance.

Her ballet teacher at her home studio is amazing, and they have all come so far. But her days are numbered and she won't be here for much longer, she wants to go back home soon and if they lose her, then they won't get nearly as good training.
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't have any advice but what a tough choice you have. Best of luck to all, I hope it works out.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I can't imagine making such a tough decision at 14. Strength to you mama.

Sounds like ballet teacher wants to go home, but wanting and doing can be different things. Are there any actual, concrete plans for her to leave? If not, I say, it's not broke, don't fix it.

If your DD is that good, she will get another chance, possibly from the same school.

At 14, there are not do or die decisions

Best of luck
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't have any advice just want to say I feel your pain.  My own dd is sitting in the same boat.  Much to her dismay we are not interested in letting her go at her age (and she's 16) but I understand the draw.  With the reduced tuition offered to those selected ballet students dd could get great ballet as well as great academics at a top notch private school for not much more than what I'm shelling out for dance alone.  ACK! is right.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would be doing ALOT of research. What percentage of students who graduate from the pre-pro are offered contracts in the company? How many of their graduates are getting jobs in other companies? What academic options are there? While so completely flattering that they want your dd, it doesn't sound like you or her are in an emotional place for her to move away. Would it hurt her to go home for a year, train hard, weigh her options and consider auditioning again next year if ready to move away then?
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
is it a pre-pro that has a student company or a professional company that has a training school attached? Do they have housing and schooling? 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
It was a professional company first. They tour regularly. The school is seperate, they've just recently been expanding that part. They're starting at I think grade 6, and now offering residency as of 5 years ago.

I think we need to sit and discuss her future goals. I see her always dancing. But I think her hearts more in a contemporary program.
I am leaning towards a no, because if she wants this, she can work hard at home with her amazing ballet teacher (Who by the way is wanting her to leave) for the next year, and then try again. If she wants this bad enough, she needs to be willing to put in the work. If it's meant to be, it will. Although by the end of the week, I may have a complete change of heart. :S
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
You have to follow your heart/your daughters heart. If you have doubts already, I would say no for this year. There are many roads to Rome. If it is meant to be. I'm sorry I am stringing together platitudes. I do not mean to, but I do sense the hesitation in your posts. Congratulations to her on the offer, it's wonderful that they believe in her.
PrimaMomma

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Wow, tough choice.  That's fantastic that they recognize her talent and it sounds like a great opportunity, but 14 just seems so young to be away from home.  I'm sure between you and your daughter, you will make the best decision for her.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
That's a really tough decision.  I don't think I could let my 14-year old go; these years we have with our kids are way too short as it is.  I think our kids need us even more during those teen years.  What an honor to be chosen for this though!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Congrats to your daughter.  I have a couple of friends whose kids went to residential schools attached to professional companies.  One was in grade 7 (12 years old moved across the country).  The other was 10 going on 11 and moved to a new province to attend.  At the time I knew I could never have done that with my child but it worked out for both of them.
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
What an amazing opportunity to be offered and such a hard decision for you.  Is this her last week at the SI?  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: