Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Hello!  My daughter's tap number this year is "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego".  Similar to this:  https://www.brit.co/b/carmen-sandiego-costume/

She'll have black tap shoes, black tights, a black collared leotard, a red shiny trench coat, and a red hat, black gloves and sunglasses.  

Should I embellish the leotard at all?  I'm not sure if she'll have the trench coat on the whole time.  I was thinking maybe adding black stones to it.  Also, do you think she should just have the leo, or should I add a skirt or bootie shorts?

What do you think?

prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Cute idea!  With all of those accessories, I don't think you need much bling on the outside, maybe stones around the cuffs, collar, pockets, or belt for an accent - just to catch the light, but it has a lot of impact without stones.  

If she is taking the trench coat off, for a good portion of the routine, maybe red booties over the black leo and tight with a rhinestone belt to keep the look even without the jacket?  

As for color of stone you can match the costume just to add shine, or you can add clear or ab to add a detail like a faux belt or buttons.
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 

Thanks, Prancer.

I'm hoping it comes together.  We're in the UK, where Carmen Sandiego isn't really a thing - they probably won't realise it's a character piece.  (I know her dance teacher doesn't!)

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm not even sure if kids in the US today know Carmen San Diego anymore! Love the idea for a dance number. 

Interesting factoid- the choreographer for that show was a teacher at dd's first dance studio. 
louandgrace

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
At our last festival in Feb there was a girl doing "Kim Possible". Very few people knew who Kim Possible was but the little girl placed joint third with DD. (DD was doing Evil Like Me, and was Maleficent, so also a character piece that no one recognised as Descendants isn't big here at all!) 

Good luck to your DD!

ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Tendumom... that's cool about the choreographer!

I think it's going to be a cute number when it's done.  She's still mapping it out with her teacher, but it should be ready soon.  I just find the music so incredibly catchy!

melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
If she's gong to take off the jacket, I think adding shorts would be a nice touch, only to fit the character better.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: