Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I know this is a story old as time but my DD is starting to get senioritis. Not so much for things at school, but definitely for things at the dance studio. I understand why, but I also know that she needs to give her all to the commitments she has made. Any hints on how to keep motivating her?
StepLeap

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No real tips...just patience. Lots and lots of patience.
We were warned on curriculum night, at the high school, that our seniors would regress a little in everything across the board- not just school, but also in things they once had great joy in doing. The teacher told us to just be patient and wait. The kids need time to adjust to the changes that are happening, both in school and other activities. The stress of college searches and accepting one, things ending. He told us that they will eventually snap out of it, just be there to listen to their concerns and fears. 
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
No solutions, just sympathy. We are there this year as well. DD has been accepted to the school of her choice and is now struggling to finish up this year. She is "done" with high school and ready to move on to college. She is ready to move past much of the drama of high school as well.

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLeap
No real tips...just patience. Lots and lots of patience.
We were warned on curriculum night, at the high school, that our seniors would regress a little in everything across the board- not just school, but also in things they once had great joy in doing. The teacher told us to just be patient and wait. The kids need time to adjust to the changes that are happening, both in school and other activities. The stress of college searches and accepting one, things ending. He told us that they will eventually snap out of it, just be there to listen to their concerns and fears. 

This has soooooo happened in my house.  The last 2 weeks, it has been like having a toddler in the house as opposed to the almost 18-yr-old!  Patience is definitely starting to wear thin, but we are trying!

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My eldest DD graduates High school in 2 1/2 weeks. All 12th graders finish on November 18th! I think I am the one with senioritis, not her.

For us, only the work from 12th Grade counts towards their university acceptance, not everything else they do in high school. They have final exams this week and next week and then a week of alternative activities the following week. The kids are still pretty focused because what they do this week and next week can have a big impact on getting into university.

They won't find out until January where they get in, ready to start at the end of summer (last week of February). So it keeps a lot of them focused to the last minute, I have heard that in the US the kids get accepted before they completenHighs cool, so I can imagine the motivation dropping off.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 

DD didn't have senioritis, exactly.  She finished HS early, via her online homeschooling program.  She did her junior and senior years during her junior year.  So she didn't really get a chance to develop senioritis with regard to school.  For dance, she was still all about going to class, but her college auditions where between December and February... so when the reality of preparing for a career in dance set in, the whole competition thing just seemed pointless to her (although she still did love the conventions).  BUT, she still had a strong focus on her competition dances.  She didn't let the futility of it factor into her dedication to the team.  But, I would say that's where her senioritis was... competition.  She was so done with that.  lol

As a side note, I think it's hysterical that senioritis is not underlined with a squiggly red line indicating a misspelled word.  Who knew it was an actual word!  LOL

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

DD didn't have senioritis, exactly.  She finished HS early, via her online homeschooling program.  She did her junior and senior years during her junior year.  So she didn't really get a chance to develop senioritis with regard to school.  For dance, she was still all about going to class, but her college auditions where between December and February... so when the reality of preparing for a career in dance set in, the whole competition thing just seemed pointless to her (although she still did love the conventions).  BUT, she still had a strong focus on her competition dances.  She didn't let the futility of it factor into her dedication to the team.  But, I would say that's where her senioritis was... competition.  She was so done with that.  lol

As a side note, I think it's hysterical that senioritis is not underlined with a squiggly red line indicating a misspelled word.  Who knew it was an actual word!  LOL

This!!!  That is exactly how my D felt, she enjoyed it because she was with her dance friends, but the whole trophy, placing thing was BTDT!
StepLeap

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheStudio
No solutions, just sympathy. We are there this year as well. DD has been accepted to the school of her choice and is now struggling to finish up this year. She is "done" with high school and ready to move on to college. She is ready to move past much of the drama of high school as well.

Same with my DD! Got her acceptance and scholarship info (full ride!!![biggrin]) to the college she wanted...now she no longer knows how to set her alarm or make a piece of toast. We had a chat about finishing strong, getting enough rest, and eating well. She just wants everything to be done so she can move onward and upward. We'll see how she does with dual enrollment for winter semester- she really wanted this one class and doesn't want to wait a year- so she is dipping her toes in the college arena early while completing her senior year. We need luck and prayers at this point...or at least toast making skills again...[rofl]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: