Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gymdancermom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter dances but doesn't compete so I know very little about the world of competitive dance.  Recently I saw a video of a friend's daughter doing a musical theater act (singing with some very light dance) in the Nexstar competition.  Can someone tell me what this type of dance is called (when the dancer also sings) and if it's commonly found in competitive dance or not?  Thanks!
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
In our competitions this is very common. We have 3 divisions in competitions that require the dancers to sing.

1. Song and dance - this can be singing and any type of dancing (except tap), the score is 50% on their singing and 50% on their dancing, so they will need to both fairly equally.

2. Song and tap - like song and dance but tap is the style of dance. This is because song and dance divisions are so popular, just another way of dividing it up.

3. Musical theatre - they must also sing and dance but the song must be from a musical.

They can sing on other divisions like novelty and carabet, but it's not required.
3mama5678

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I agree with Jacaranda though I've never seen song and tap before... song and dance is what it was vs musical theatre is lip synching
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Lip syncing is not allowed in our Musical Theatre division. If a dancer wants to lip sync they go into novelty. It seems innaproiate too, if dancer want to perform in musicals they need to learn to sing and dance together, lip syncing doesn't happen in real musicals.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think what it is called will vary with location.  I am in Western Canada and at some of our competitions it is called "Musical Theatre" and at others it is "Song and Dance".  But lip synching is never called Musical Theatre here.  I was surprised when I started going to competition in the States that it was called Musical Theatre when the kids lip synch or even just dance to Broadway songs. Here, lip synching is called "Stage",  "Novelty", or "Variety" depending on the competition. 

In the Song and Dance/Musical Theatre category the type of dancing can be any genre. I've seen kids tap and sing, but it is not a separate category like Jacaranda is describing.  

My DD did Musical Theatre groups, duos, and solos.  A big part of learning the dances was the vocal training.  It is common here. Every competition has the category. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In Ontario we have Musical Theatre which is lip synching to a song from a musical, movie or television show and then song and dance which is live vocals and can pretty much be anything as long as the vocals are live and there is an appropriate amount of dance.  DS has done both - MT as a little guy and song and dance from age 9.  We much preferred the song and dance since any real performer needs to know how to sing and dance.  Our song and dance routines (production, groups, and s/d/t) always scored the highest adjudication and in overalls.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm in the US (NJ) and at most of the comps we've been to (including Nexstar), it's called song and dance if the dancer sings while dancing, and musical theatre if they only dance, but to a song from a musical or show. If they just sing, no dancing, it's called vocal.

If they do a MT dance, they can lip sync or not; some comps like that and some don't. My DS competes musical theatre but it's dance only, no singing and no lip syncing.

I know song and dance is popular in other areas, but in DS's 10 years of competing at many different comps, I have never seen it. I've only seen the dance-only MT. I've seen vocal (just standing and singing) maybe three times total.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Here there are 3 different categories:  Musical Theatre - strong dance with or without lip syncing - usually without.  Vocal - singing only and Song and Dance - singing and dancing

Musical Theater is fairly popular.  Vocal is somewhat popular at some comps.  Song and Dance - well quite frankly until this season, I didn't even know it existed.  DD is at a studio that focus on musical theater (not just the dance style but actual shows) so she's in a Song and Dance group number.  She only dances but the younger girls sing.  They've done this number at 2 comps this season and both times where the only act in the category. 
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Hi, my DD loves musical theater, she's going to answer this question.

The style you described sounds more like song and dance. Song and dance is when sing and dance at the same time on stage. I've seen a couple videos, but none in person. Not at all popular in our area, and most people here don't even know about that category.

There is also usually a vocal category, which is only singing, without the dancing. I've only seen this one competition,

And the most common of the three, musical theater. Musical theater is really any style of dance to a song from a musical. Usually there is lipsyncing involved, but not always. At my studio we always lip sync in musical theater, as well as act and dance. Most studios in our area also choose to lipsync in musical theater. I kinda feel like if you're not lipsyncing and portraying the character, then it isn't really musical theater, you're just dancing jazz to a different musical genre.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have a teen dancer at our studio who has done very, very well with a MT solo this year that consists of practically no dancing whatsoever. Great lip syncing, facial expressions and theatrical gesturing but very little dancing. It is super entertaining and she does a great job but I don't really know what they are judging on it since there is pretty much zero actual dance tecnique in it. It has been in the musical theater division in every comp we have been at, she doesn't actually sing. We encounter very few "vocal" (just singing, no dancing) or "song and dance" numbers. It seems to be about 50/50 as far as to if MT performers lip sync or not.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We are in the Midwest of the USA. The musical theater I see at comps is dance with lip synching. In eight years, I have seen one solo where the performer sang and danced. I have also seen two where it was singing only. There is a comp in the US called "Access Broadway" that focuses more on vocals and acting along with dance. Most people I know who do musicals in our area do enough dance to get by and focus more on vocal development and acting. DD18 sings in the HS choir and acts in a musical every summer. I tried to get her to sing at a dance comp but she refused. Probably because she would be the only one and that would be embarrassing lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: