Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Most dance stores in our area carry boys ballet pants/tights and fitted black t-shirts.  I would pick them up and just keep the tags on until you know if you need them.  That will relieve some of your anxiety.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

I wouldn't function well that way either.  I get that they provide the costume but since the girls are required to supplement the costume with items of their own, it seems likely to me that boys would be expected to as well.  

I don't have a boy in dance so I don't know how easy it is to just run to any dance store and get boy items.  The 2 dance stores that we frequent don't display boys clothing - they may have things in the back.  I don't know.  And we live in a major metro area.  Now I'm curious because I honestly never thought about it.

Can you contact the folks directly and avoid the director?  (maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sound like your studio director not the ballet director) I'm not sure how this works since my dd has never done it but it seems like you should be able to go directly to them if you aren't getting the answers you need.

I think you might be on to something... although I don't know if I would recommend trying to contact the Moscow Ballet themselves. OP.. how about sending an email to the owner of a host studio in another city?  Explaining your situation and letting them know that your studio has not been able to get confirmation from Moscow themselves.  I would think you'd have a better chance of getting a response from another studio than from Moscow.  This is not high on the list of priorities for the Moscow Ballet right now, I'm sure.

Also.. with regards to local stores having a supply of dance clothing for boys, you can order from an online retailer today and have it at your door at the end of the week. Although if it were me I'd call local stores first since (I hate the idea of having to return via mail).

Sorry... I'm a problem solver.  Can't help myself [smile]
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Its the studio director and his teacher and she is the one in charge. She made a huge point of telling everyone do not contact Moscow Ballet directly it needs to come from her. So I just don't know what to do. And you are right its hard to find boys items around here and especially last minute when they want it to look a certain exact way. I am just nervous they are going to not have something for him and then he can't be in the production which would really really upset all of us since we have dedicated every Sunday from Sept to Dec for this. 

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercrew
Its the studio director and his teacher and she is the one in charge. She made a huge point of telling everyone do not contact Moscow Ballet directly it needs to come from her. So I just don't know what to do. And you are right its hard to find boys items around here and especially last minute when they want it to look a certain exact way. I am just nervous they are going to not have something for him and then he can't be in the production which would really really upset all of us since we have dedicated every Sunday from Sept to Dec for this. 

They will definitely have a "costume" for him.  They, however, will not bring a base for that costume. So you have no choice than to provide something for that base if you want him to be in this production.  And if you don't, and he can't perform, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Allaboutdance.com has free return shipping and pretty inexpensive shipping, free shipping over $65.  I always check them out first.
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I finally found out about my son's costuming so we got that taken care of. 

I have another question though- On the guidelines Moscow ballet says No large meals-pack plenty of snacks. So the kids will be there from 9 am to 10 pm at night with two performances, pictures, costume fittings, and a dress rehersal. Obviously they have to eat during the day. Are you allowed to pack something besides snacks? Snacks are not going to last them 12 hours. 

those that have done this before-what kind of food did you send?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 

So what was the final conclusion on the costuming? 

Kind of a silly recommendation "no large meals." I'm guessing they don't want a mess and they don't want the kids eating heavy meals. Is there a time between shows when they have a break? A time when you can sign them out? 

I'd pack a sandwich or two and other good protein snacks (depending on what he will eat). Will you be volunteering backstage at all? 

Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
For food- when my daughter was participating she ate before arriving and then I sent her with a packed lunch and another lunchbox full of snacks. The dancers shared and no one seemed to care as long as they weren't messy snacks (colored juice, cheese puffs, pixie sticks, etc) and they cleaned up after themselves. Honestly I believe you are way over thinking this. I promise he will be fine and afterwards might need a late bite but I promise he will be ok for the day with a lunch and some snacks.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Every single year we have at least one kid puke during our Nutcracker run. It almost always seems to be a combination of nerves and fast food. Had one this weekend, a little one who was fed McDonald's on her way to theater before the first show, then got worked up after an exhausting week and threw up before she went on stage. I'm guessing this is why they say no big meals! Pack a couple sandwiches, granola bars, maybe some string cheese, baby carrots, grapes, easy things to grab a few bites at a time, and nothing greasy or messy.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
Every single year we have at least one kid puke during our Nutcracker run. It almost always seems to be a combination of nerves and fast food. Had one this weekend, a little one who was fed McDonald's on her way to theater before the first show, then got worked up after an exhausting week and threw up before she went on stage. I'm guessing this is why they say no big meals! Pack a couple sandwiches, granola bars, maybe some string cheese, baby carrots, grapes, easy things to grab a few bites at a time, and nothing greasy or messy.

Exactly.  I was going to say that all 4 of my daughters that are/were dancers always say that during a competition or performance they've got so much adrenalin that they're not as hungry as they usually are.  If you pack a bunch of snacks and your dancer eats before and after it will be fine.  Pack some things high in protein like almonds, cheese sticks, meat stick, small sandwich if you need to.
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #36 
They want him to wear black boy tights and a black shirt. The director is ordering them for him. 

I figured stuff like a sandwich, string cheese, fruit, crackers, etc. I do know he won't be able to miss a meal though. He is super high metabolism and gets whiney and cranky if he gets hungry. 
I don't think I am going to be backstage. They only allow like 2  parents I believe. 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercrew
They want him to wear black boy tights and a black shirt. The director is ordering them for him. 

I figured stuff like a sandwich, string cheese, fruit, crackers, etc. I do know he won't be able to miss a meal though. He is super high metabolism and gets whiney and cranky if he gets hungry. 
I don't think I am going to be backstage. They only allow like 2  parents I believe. 
I'm not sure how many boys they have in the cast there, but my ds's year of dance he sat in the hall for 2 hours because he was the only boy and couldn't go in the girls change room where all the fun was going on. I felt awful, and didn't realize that he wouldn't have the same experience his sister had. He quit after that year, and they now send the boys to the teachers lounge. Maybe make sure there's a male chaperone to assist?
gingercrew

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I am sending him with his ipad and nintendo ds and a book so he will have something to do. But I hope he can hang out with the other girls he is friends with. There is only one other young boy doing it that is quite a bit older and he does not even know him as that kid is from another studio. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.