Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
emmab1209

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone, DD here!
We have never had any experience with the Moscow Ballet Nutcracker so I'm hoping y'all can give me some advice lol. The MB is coming to my hometown in a few months and being in a Nutcracker is something I've always wanted to do. BUT-I've read on here that they only cast to fit costumes and that's what worries me. I'm 5'7 (taller in pointe shoes) and about 155 pounds (I've always been a little bigger than my classmates but not overweight). I'm confident in my ballet technique but don't want to be turned away on sight because of my size. Does anyone have experience with this?
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The audition guidelines are on their website.

If I'm not mistaken, the local children's cast has a height limit of 5 feet, 3 inches. Still, I would contact the studio that's holding the auditions to see if that's a hard and fast rule.

Selection is mostly about fitting the costumes because Moscow Ballet has two or three different companies that travel (and it is a grueling schedule - two performances a day with an overnight bus ride to the next city) so there isn't time to make major alterations on the children's costumes at each city.

emmab1209

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
The audition guidelines are on their website.

If I'm not mistaken, the local children's cast has a height limit of 5 feet, 3 inches. Still, I would contact the studio that's holding the auditions to see if that's a hard and fast rule.

Selection is mostly about fitting the costumes because Moscow Ballet has two or three different companies that travel (and it is a grueling schedule - two performances a day with an overnight bus ride to the next city) so there isn't time to make major alterations on the children's costumes at each city.

thanks!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I would definitely contact the host studio. My DD is 5'6, and we saw the requirements and decided not to audition. They studio that hosted later asked me why we didn't have DD audition because they had hoped she would have. They didn't go by the height requirement.
emmab1209

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
I would definitely contact the host studio. My DD is 5'6, and we saw the requirements and decided not to audition. They studio that hosted later asked me why we didn't have DD audition because they had hoped she would have. They didn't go by the height requirement.
thank you so much! I will shoot them an email!
Shadamae

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our studio did it and the height limit isn't that strict. We had a few girls over 5'3" and they got cast. I think they just don't want someone as tall or taller than their professional dancers. But the students are not dancing with their dancers side by side really - except For the party scene maybe. Most of the student dancers are side stage and just highlight their professional dancers. I keep saying professional dancers because I'd emailed them asking questions like what parts are offered to students and what highlights do they get to have. I was basically told that any main role was only for their professional ballet dancers and students were only used for smaller parts and most side stage while their professional dancers were center stage. Also the day of performances, dancers have to be there for rehearsal about 6 hours prior to the show for rehearsal and costume fittings.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We had girls from our studio and others that did not fit that size requirement for the "party girls" and they were cast as other roles like snow princesses or Arabian dancers. Especially if you are strong on pointe you maybe more likely to get a role like a nationality or butterfly or something. I saw a large range of ages and sizes in the production we participated in.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 

One of dd's ballet studios hosted here in Boston last year so I did at lot of digging for information myself and then had a chance to see how things actually played out.  As others have mentioned, MB does specifically state a height limit but I'd found that it wasn't strictly adhered to and dd's AD was encouraging all dancers to audition regardless of height... sure that they could find a way to work them into the production.  As it turned out though, none of the taller girls chose to audition (my dd included) because of other opportunities.  

It's definitely very much about the costumes but also, I'm sure, about whether or not they can make it so a dancer doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.  If you were my dd I'd encourage you to try if you'd like but be fully prepared for the possibility of not getting a role. It's a risk, for sure, but you'll never know unless you try.  And there's always value in trying regardless of outcome.    

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.