Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, the Army changed their mind (sigh, :rolleyes )

So the hubby is being stationed at pickatanny arsonal in Morris County NJ.  He's going next week to buy a house.

We need ballet.  Small, she doesn't want to be someplace where she's going to end up dancing children's roles.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Ok, the Army changed their mind (sigh, :rolleyes )

So the hubby is being stationed at pickatanny arsonal in Morris County NJ.  He's going next week to buy a house.

We need ballet.  Small, she doesn't want to be someplace where she's going to end up dancing children's roles.

I have no idea about dance schools, but I lived in Morris county until I was 12 and I still have lots of family there (Morristown area). It's a great place and the people are great. It's like a small town, and under an hour from NYC.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

The first place that comes to mind is NJ Ballet. It's a company with an affiliated school with several locations including one in Livingston and one in Somerville (Somerset County). I think there is a third location elsewhere in northern NJ (I am in central NJ). 

If you end up near the Bergen County border, there are a few more choices (Petrov and Nunnbetter). 

There's Dance Center of NJ which is in or around Bernardsville. It doesn't sound like a ballet school, but it is. It might give her the smaller classes she prefers. You'll have to look at traffic, etc depending on where you end up in the county. 

BalletForte is in Chester. I know the modern teacher there, but don't know much else. 

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
There's also a good, small school in Warren County, if you end up on that end of Morris County. I think it is near or in Hackettstown.. will have to search for it and update this. It's on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks so much.  I'll have location info next week.  We buy houses fast in my family
Lad16

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
North Jersey School of Dance Arts in Hackettstown and Dance Academy of North Jersey in Lake Hopatcong. We have come across dancers from there at competitions. The first one I believe is ballet and not competition based but the dancer from there we have seem entered as an independent and compete solos, she is a stellar dancer. The second one we have competed against and they also have great technique. Maybe there are others on this board from there, I am in Bergen county which is about 30-45 minutes from Morris county. Not sure how close those studios would be for you but I thought it might be worth for you to check out. Good luck!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
North Jersey School of Dance Arts is the school I was thinking of in Hackettstown! (Easier when someone else knows the name. LOL)  I think I know the dancers from there that do compete (used to be sisters). And I have seen dancers from there at YAGP. 

A friend has a daughter at DANJ. Definitely not a ballet school, but a strong comp school. They do bring in a variety of teachers in addition to their own staff. My friend has made sure that dd and some others were invited to various master classes and programs there but it never worked out for dd. My actual point is that they seem to open those events to others and might be a nice extra. [smile] 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I live in Morris County but everyone has already suggested what I was going to suggest [smile]

DANJ is a mega comp studio. They turn out some amazing dancers and have top notch staff.

I don't know much about Ballet Forte but it is 10 minutes from my house. It is in Chester, right off Main St where there are a bunch of great little shops and eateries. It looks really nice, lits of windows so you can see the dancers from the outside(at least in the one studio). I believe they also offer some jazz and tap.

North Jersey School of Dance Arts has a good reputation. Older dd had a friend that took ballet there for years. I believe I know the dancer Lad16 is talking about from there. We compete with her and her sisters often and they are beautiful dancers and usually win big.

NJ Ballet Livingston is in Essex Co but within a commutable distance.

If you have any other questions about Morris Co, feel free to ask [smile]
Sabrina

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm also in Morris County and confirm all that is said above. There's also art of dance in chester but they are a more a comp dance school but have some very good ballet. My own school isn't that strong in ballet. I assume you are going to picatinny. Just be advised that traffic is pretty fierce around here so where you live will definitely affect where you decide to dance. If you need realtor recommendations, I used to work for Coldwell Banker and know some good ones (that aren't sharks lol). get ready for some ferocious property taxes. Sorry...
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Art of Dance is like 2 minutes from Ballet Forte. A defector from AOD that came to our studio a few years back said some of their dancers took extra ballet at Ballet Forte. Not sure what is going on at AOD but they have lost quite a few students over the last couple of years. Heard a few stories from former dancers and parents but won't say here since I don't know what is true and what isn't.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Ok, since there are so many of you who live there.  Any school districts to avoid?  We do the great schools thing but it can't tell me weirdisms.  It looks like the offerings are similar at most of the schools (We'll be there from 7th-9th grade probably).
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Welcome to NJ! Pretty much what everyone else said.

We are about 45 minutes-hour from that area, but have seen DANJ at comps and they are very good. I was also thinking of NJ Ballet in Livingston. Depending on where you end up living it might not be a bad commute.

We are actually going to be driving right past Picatinny next weekend on our way to a comp in Sparta.

Best of luck with your move.
Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
North Jersey School of Dance Arts is the school I was thinking of in Hackettstown! (Easier when someone else knows the name. LOL)  I think I know the dancers from there that do compete (used to be sisters). And I have seen dancers from there at YAGP. 

A friend has a daughter at DANJ. Definitely not a ballet school, but a strong comp school. They do bring in a variety of teachers in addition to their own staff. My friend has made sure that dd and some others were invited to various master classes and programs there but it never worked out for dd. My actual point is that they seem to open those events to others and might be a nice extra. [smile] 

Welcome to NJ, Meatball! My DH and I both grew up in the town right next to Randolph, Roxbury.

We have a friend whose daughter left the comp world to go to North Jersey School of Dance Arts in Hackettstown and they seem amazing. She's done well at YAGP and gotten a lot of scholarships and awards - we saw her dance this year and were blown away. We've also competed against some independents who go to that school and they have all been amazing. (I think they are the same girls Tendumom is talking about.) If we were anywhere near there now, I'd bring DS there in a heartbeat. But we live in central Jersey, too far.

We also see DANJ occasionally. They do well at comp, but I agree with Tendumom that they're not a ballet school. They seemed more like a mega to us. Lot of big group numbers. Last year at KAR, their senior soloists took almost the entire top 20, I believe.

BTW, my late FIL spent his whole career as an engineer at Picatinny Arsenal, in weapons design. He and my MIL met there - she was a secretary (stereotypical, I know)! So Picatinny means a lot to us! Enjoy NJ, and make sure to visit Cliff's on Rt. 10 in Ledgewood for the best ice cream.
Inspiredby3

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Welcome to North Jersey! My DD goes to DANJ. They do have good teachers and good technique. It's definitely the strongest school technique wise in the area. Not a ballet school but they do offer a lot of ballet classes and focus on ballet as foundation. My DD takes 4 hours of ballet a week. It is a huge studio though! They're also very focused on the kids that appear to have natural talent. We're considering if the studio might be too big for us. They do great in comps but are very focused on putting together their winning numbers with their strongest dancers. If your DD is very strong for her age, she'll probably do well there, if not, then there are not too many opportunities for the weaker dancers.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.