Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi  Dance Moms,

I've added lots more things to my Etsy shop, including more close-out items.
I hope you can take a look.

Also, at the most recent dance convention where I was an exhibitor, I noticed many of the kids were wearing colorful leggings (printed spandex leggings that fit like tights).  I had sewn some up a couple of years earlier and took them to a convention, but got no reaction, so I boxed them.
   Well, after noticing that some of the kids were wearing them at this most recent two day convention, I un-boxed my leggings and took them to the show for its second day.
The reaction was much different this time.  Immediately my leggings got lots of attention and I sold several right away.  So I'm thinking that maybe there is a new trend emerging. If so, I may resume making the leggings.
   What do you think? Are your dancers showing the same interest in leggings?  Calf length?  Full length?  Thanks for your input.

J.D.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/designer4dance
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My DD13 likes leggings, especially nice, stretchy ones.  She also likes the stirrup style for certain classes.  My DD11 would wear them every day for school if she could.  They both prefer the full length, although their legs are so long that it's a challenge to find ones that fit properly.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpierremom
My DD13 likes leggings, especially nice, stretchy ones.  She also likes the stirrup style for certain classes.  My DD11 would wear them every day for school if she could.  They both prefer the full length, although their legs are so long that it's a challenge to find ones that fit properly.

Thank you, stpierremom!  That's right in line with what I'm experiencing.  Thank you!
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
My dd LOVES leggings. Prefers high waisted, longer length.

Thanks for your input, 1tinydancer.  So far I have two votes for longer length, and now "high waisted".
Thank you, thank you!
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:

Same with my DD.  She is almost 5'8 and it is really hard to find them long enough.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcandance
Quote:

Same with my DD.  She is almost 5'8 and it is really hard to find them long enough.

Thank you for responding emcandance. If I decide to make them again, it might be good to add a "tall" option to the sizing.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD loves leggings. She wears them both to school and for dance. She only likes the full length ones. She has lots of black pairs, but also loves fun colors and designs. Some days she wears leggings to school and just changes her top for dance if she doesn't have ballet first. DD's favorite leggings are the really soft ones. She's a comfort girl.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
DD loves leggings. She wears them both to school and for dance. She only likes the full length ones. She has lots of black pairs, but also loves fun colors and designs. Some days she wears leggings to school and just changes her top for dance if she doesn't have ballet first. DD's favorite leggings are the really soft ones. She's a comfort girl.

Thank you, Ktyyyyyyy!  Yes.  Full length seems to be what they want.  You mentioned soft.  That is also a long standing common denominator.  I'm thinking of the nylon spandex blends because of the colorful designs that are offered in those blends, but the cotton spandex blends are usually much softer and more absorbent. Thanks again for your input.  J.D.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIN'SMA
Leggings are definitely the rage at DD's dance studio.....all kinds of colors & patterns for dance classes... More conservative solid colors with a different colored waist band for school. They seem to favor the long style leg, but spring is trying to arrive here in New England, so the long leg may soon be too warm.

I was wondering the same thing about the full length being too warm for summer, but you never know if style will be more important to them than comfort. Also, the difference between full length and calf length might not make too much difference.  But that brings me back to fiber content.  Cotton/spandex or Nylon Spandex? If you have a thought, that would be helpful.  Thanks ERIN'SMA for responding.
J.D.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK
Quote:
Leggings are definitely the rage at DD's dance studio.....all kinds of colors & patterns for dance classes... More conservative solid colors with a different colored waist band for school. They seem to favor the long style leg, but spring is trying to arrive here in New England, so the long leg may soon be too warm.

I was wondering the same thing about the full length being too warm for summer, but you never know if style will be more important to them than comfort. Also, the difference between full length and calf length might not make too much difference.  But that brings me back to fiber content.  Cotton/spandex or Nylon Spandex? If you have a thought, that would be helpful.  Thanks ERIN'SMA for responding.
J.D.
Just checked with DD & she says they favor cotton/ spandex.

Ooooh.  A little surprising to me.  Thank you.

Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Leggings are all the rage right now.  My kid does not even own a pair of jeans.  

Whatever the material they use at Pink is what my dd likes.  Super soft.  Almost silky.  
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinandlovinit
Leggings are all the rage right now.  My kid does not even own a pair of jeans.  

Whatever the material they use at Pink is what my dd likes.  Super soft.  Almost silky.  

Thank you, Dancinandlovinit.  Another vote for soft and pink. Thank you.
J.D.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
My dd likes the nylon/spandex and would wear the full length during summer and we live in Florida. She also wears them with combat boots to school.

That's encouraging, 1tinydancer, because it is much easier to find the colorful fun fabrics in the nylon/spandex blends.  The cotton blends are mostly available in solid colors.  Thanks for that.
J.D.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD is ALL ABOUT the leggings!  She would live in leggings and sweatpants if she could.  She'll wear leggings or booty shorts, but definitely NOT calf length... she doesn't like those for some reason.  As far as fabric blends.... her favorite leggings right now are her lululemon and her Nike running tights (I believe she has the Epic Lux).  Prior to discovering these she was all about the Pink leggings for comfort and maintaining their shape (no sagging knees! LOL)... but now that she's experienced lululemon and the Nike running tights that level of quality is much more appreciated.  While the price tag is a bit more for those, they last forever.  She found that the Pink leggings would wear at the seams rather quickly with the amount of use they had... while lululemon and Nike have been worn for over a year with no sign of wearing out!  Point being, whatever fabric blends they use is what she would prefer... they're very comfortable, they maintain their shape, and they last forever!!  For class DD is required to wear black... so that's always our go to color.  But for Saturday classes and conventions she can wear colors... she's still not into the bright colored leggings... she really typically wears black and gray... but solid colors that are a bit more subdued would not be frowned upon either!
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
DD is ALL ABOUT the leggings!  She would live in leggings and sweatpants if she could.  She'll wear leggings or booty shorts, but definitely NOT calf length... she doesn't like those for some reason.  As far as fabric blends.... her favorite leggings right now are her lululemon and her Nike running tights (I believe she has the Epic Lux).  Prior to discovering these she was all about the Pink leggings for comfort and maintaining their shape (no sagging knees! LOL)... but now that she's experienced lululemon and the Nike running tights that level of quality is much more appreciated.  While the price tag is a bit more for those, they last forever.  She found that the Pink leggings would wear at the seams rather quickly with the amount of use they had... while lululemon and Nike have been worn for over a year with no sign of wearing out!  Point being, whatever fabric blends they use is what she would prefer... they're very comfortable, they maintain their shape, and they last forever!!  For class DD is required to wear black... so that's always our go to color.  But for Saturday classes and conventions she can wear colors... she's still not into the bright colored leggings... she really typically wears black and gray... but solid colors that are a bit more subdued would not be frowned upon either!

Thanks for the very great information, JojosDanceMom.  I read every word of your post twice, and I'm going to read it again!  I'll be taking a peek at lululemon and Nike. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know that they were a source for leggings! Yes, the seams always wear out first.  I make some of my own clothing out of the fabrics that I sew with, just so that I can judge the durability of the fabrics that I use.  Upon close inspection of wear points, the stitching at the seams mostly remains intact.  It is more often the case that the fabric adjacent to the seams is what wears away. That's why the fiber content is an important consideration.  I'm going to look a little deeper into the fiber content that these manufacturers use. I suspect that there is a synthetic component to the blends.  Thanks sooooo much for your response.  J.D.
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterMommy
DD loves leggings. Most of hers are from California Kisses, but the ones from Ivivva (Lululemons little sister) are VERY well made and we will be shopping them much more now.

Thank you, GlitterMommy.  I just learned a new word "Ivivva"!  Thanks for the great info.
J.D.
stldancemom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Will you be adding any tops that are full-length (as opposed to cropped/bra tops)? These are increasingly difficult to find. Are we the only ones who prefer to not bare the midriff?
JDK

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stldancemom
Will you be adding any tops that are full-length (as opposed to cropped/bra tops)? These are increasingly difficult to find. Are we the only ones who prefer to not bare the midriff?

Hi stidancemom,
The only full-length I have right now are the close-outs that you probably saw on my site.  There just doesn't seem to be much demand right now for the full-length. But based on your inquiry, I'll keep an eye on maybe producing them again.  It could be that you are on the cutting edge of a new trend.  I don't think you are the only one who prefers to not bare the midriff.
J.D.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/designer4dance
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: