Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I've noticed that a lot of studios dont teach modern until the kids are at least 10 or so. From a mom who knows nothing about dance, can you tell me why that is? My DD had some modern exposure at a summer intensive and she loved it. It's not on her studios schedule for her age though. She's disappointed.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Funny you posted this. I am meeting with our SO at 1:00 to try to get DD a modern class. There is nothing listed for her age in contemporary or modern, and I thought it was weird because last year there was contemporary for her age, and many girls just a bit older were taking modern.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Honestly... I just think it's a more mature style of dance and requires a strong foundation to be executed properly.  Sure, you can teach it to a younger group but just because you can doesn't mean you should.  In my experience (opinion) anyway... modern and contemporary just tend to look awkward when done by most younger dancers.  

IDK... your dancer certainly won't be stunting her growth by waiting a few years. Ten years old is really so very young. Something I never fully grasped until my kids were older than that.  If I were you I'd just tell her that all good things come in time.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I think the idea is learn the rules of the art (ballet) before you learn to break them (modern), but I'm hoping more expert parents will comment.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
At our studio you can begin modern at Ballet 4 level, and contemporary at Ballet 6 level (7 being the highest.) They will sometimes let a Ballet 3 student to modern but nobody under Ballet 6 is eligible for contemporary. They really feel you should have reached a certain level with technique before taking certain classes. Eta: our modern 1 class is always very obviously beginner. They are at least 9/10 but generally closer to 11.

Dd12 is going into the highest level of modern this year (it is not generally one year per level but it worked out like that for her) and her first in contemporary (as she was moved to Ballet 6.)
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
modern and contemporary just tend to look awkward when done by most younger dancers.  

This.  And the fact that most 10 year olds do not have the advanced technique needed to do modern or contemporary correctly.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our studio has a contemporary/modern teacher who is in a professional modern company. She taught contemporary technique to our 12 and unders last year as part of regular competition classes, but only teen and senior companies competed contemporary. This year, she eliminated even the tech class for those younger dancers, because they just don't have the background and "base" required yet. 
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio wont start modern and pointe until age 12 with 4 years of ballet.    I am excited that DD will get to do it this year. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
modern and contemporary just tend to look awkward when done by most younger dancers.  

This.  And the fact that most 10 year olds do not have the advanced technique needed to do modern or contemporary correctly.

Exactly this!!!

Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Our studio does not offer modern or lyrical until the minimum age of 10 if you are on the team and 12 if not on the team.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: