Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Background: My dd7's group is learning a dance for our winter show (a pretty big deal here). They have 2 rehearsals a week, each an hour long. We are going on vacation in 3 more rehearsals (we are in a different school district thank most kids at the studio and ours has a fall break). DT is aware of this. I had hoped that they would be done with choreography by then, but the dance is very fast paced and has intricate footwork and is proving to be a challenge. It's only about a third done, so there is no way they will be finished by the time we travel. We will miss 3 rehearsals. My dd is not the quickest at picking up choreography. During class it is possible for parents to sneak a peek now and again through slats in window blinds but there is no way to take a video of the dance from the parents area. 
Question: Would it be ok for me to ask DT upon return to be allowed into the studio to video the dance and then have dd learn it at home? Or should I just trust DT to catch her up? I don't want to seem like I am butting in, but then I don't want my DD to either be totally flustered and behind or taking up time from everyone moving forward.
This is super long winded, and I don't know why I am stressing over this so much. She is only 7 and it's not like this Winter Show is a performance at the White House or something. If you've made it this far, and made sense of my ramblings, thank you [smile]

Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't see any problem with you asking if you could video the routine, they might say no due to choreography comparing hit, but it's worth a try.

You could organise for your daughter to do a few private lessons to catch up on what you missed out.

But it might not be as simple as all that. At our studio is someone missed 3 lessons of choreography, that dancer would not be included in any parts of the routine that were learned on those days. The dancer would run off for that bit and perhaps run back on for the work that was learned upon their return. It isn't a punishment, it is just because I can be near impossible to work out spacing and staging for a routine with people missing. You should also check what the attendance policy is for your studio. Many say if you miss more than a certain number of lessons, the child is off the team.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
The policy is 4 rehearsals missed, you are out. We are missing 3, but more problematically it's in a row. I would totally understand and not be upset if DT makes dd run off stage but it would be hard to do: it's a partner dance - 7 girls, 7 boys, so they'd have to make the boy leave too. Unfortunately the steps for boys and girls are different, so her partner can't really help her (it's not partnering in the sense of the boy leading. They are just paired together but doing separate things). i guess, it won't hurt to at least ask if I can record. If they say no, I won't push. Thanks!
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I say you should ABSOLUTELY ask to video the dance. And - start the dialogue with the DT to see how she would prefer your DD to catch up with what she has missed, whether it be just during normal rehearsals, having one of the other girls teach her, or arranging for a private.  I think talking to the DT is being both responsible and RESPECTFUL.  I am sure she would appreciate having a conversation with you wherein you acknowledge not only that your DD will be missing three consecutive rehearsals, but also that you are willing to do whatever she thinks is best to make sure that your DD learns what she has missed so that the performance does not suffer. Also, over the years, I have witnessed "those parents" who get tightly bunched worrying about everyone else. It would be great to shut down the nonsense immediately once one mom complains about your DD missing class and not knowing what she is doing once she returns.  With a sweet smile you will be able to say with confidence "Oh, DT is fully aware of the situation and has no problems as we have already made arrangements for Suzie to catch up. But I really appreciate your concern!"
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would have your DD ask if you can video so she can go over it while on vacation. 
jeanne4379

Triple Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our first studio had a policy of missing 3 rehearsals and you're out.  There were exceptions for doctor apppointments and illness. Don't be surprised if the DT is less than amused about your dd missing three in a row as apposed to three over the course of the rehearsal process.  By all means, ask to video the dance.  This may not work as well as you'd like because parts of the choreography might change during her absence.  It is worth a shot though.  

I don't want to sound mean here, but if she misses this performance it won't be the end of the world.  She is 7 and there are many years of performance opportunities to come.  It might help to gently help your dd understand this so - on the off chance she is not allowed to dance this time - the blow will not be quite so bad.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you! DT is already aware of the absence. I was thinking of videotaping AFTER we come back since the choreography that she'll miss isn't there yet. I am ok with her missing the performance but I think the DT is being generally very understanding: this is the first ever absence in the 3 years we've been at the studio. DD goes to a year-round school so their vacations are completely off. We can't go in the summer because she has school when the studio is closed, so we just had to pick something [smile]

ETA: I don't think the other moms have a problem with it (they know). This is a pretty chill studio and it's a performance troupe, so non-competitive.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I found with dd's studio that they made exceptions for the rules - especially for kids who normally are hard working and show up.  I'd definitely ask about taping.  Maybe dt would video it for you and send it to you so your dd can practice before returning to rehearsal. 
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
when my dd11 had to leave a practice early or miss one completely near comp time when went to the instructor of that dance and asked when we got back she would keep an eye on her that first practice back and if she felt she missed too much that one rehearsal I would pay for a private with her.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
If the DT is already aware and hasn't made a big deal of how she's going to catch up, I'd sit back and let them decide how to handle it.  If they think it's going to pose a problem, they will be quick to pose a solution.  I think you're desire to be proactive is admirable but she is only 7.  And there's probably two months of rehearsal left when you return from break?  I bet she'll be just fine.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
At 7 DD was at a studio with a very loose attendance policy. If you missed a choreography class nothing was expected of the dancer. That being said DD would have been very stressed out if she came back and there was a part of the dance that everyone knew but she didn't. For this reason I actually would have asked the DT if either DT or another parent would video at the end of each rehearsal so DD could at least see the portion of the dance she missed. I never had to do this but I was a parent who would tape and email / text to the missing parent / child. At that studio the DT would normally let parents in at the end of class so they could see the progress of the dance. 

Even at DD's current studio, where they have strict attendance policies AND a no-video policy, they will sometimes allow parents to video the dances so that the child can work on it from home. We just knew that if we posted any of those videos online that we will have hell to pay with SO. [smile]
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I second what Heidi said. If DT already knows about it and hasn't expressed concern, then I wouldn't worry about it either.

That being said, a few of our DT's actively encourage us to videotape for reference. One even told DD7's group they had to practice every day and if they couldn't practice, they had to at least watch the video she had the student aide take. I'm doubting they would mind you videotaping as long as you're unobtrusive. 

EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Update: I talked to DT. Turns out heidi459, and jazzminesun81 were right and I needn't have bothered [smile] DT said that contrary to what I believed, DD is one of the quickest to pick up choreography and with a month of rehearsals left before the show, she will easily catch up. She did say that she had DD in mind for a little featured part in the dance that she won't be able to put her in now, but I am ok with that and do think that's completely fair. DD doesn't know she was going to be featured so I won't even mention it to her. 
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
The problem as I see it is that very often the DT is tweaking the choreography during rehearsals.  IF DD is missing, it makes it hard to do this. 
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf
The problem as I see it is that very often the DT is tweaking the choreography during rehearsals.  IF DD is missing, it makes it hard to do this. 

Doesn't sound Ike the DT is concerned about this at a all. The issue has been resolved, and all is wee. Great that the OP has a chance for a family vacation safe in the knowledge that her daughter's DT feels that she will catch up easily.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you all for your help with this! Looking back I spent a ridiculous amount of time over a 7 year old missing a few classes [smile] We are back, and will be taking one private to catch up on one of the dances and she did fine catching up on what she missed during regular sessions in the other 2.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: