Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Tonksmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I can’t flipping stand it when comps schedule dancers on school days! That is all!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Almost all of our comps run full days from Thursday through Sunday.  Always have.  It's just the norm up here but we don't seem to have the same problem with school and unapproved absences.  Our schools are absolutely fine with kids missing for vacation, competitions, tournaments, etc.  They make up the work but they aren't penalized because they aren't physically in class.
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I agree.  Some of the comps are starting to revisit this I think.  Last few have started late afternoon or early evening on Thursday but when you throw in travel it is still a problem. Our school district is very strict about missing school. DD was excused for a day while she was performing in Nutcracker but needed a note/form etc. from directors with specific information and signatures from parents and ballet personnel.  

School comes first.  
I'l like to throw in that I hate those late Sunday nights too!  (don't see those going away anytime soon though. )
mykidsrock

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I agree!! But I have to say it helped with my two daughters keeping up with all of their schoolwork. School definitely is first in my eyes .....and dance is first in theirs. So if they started to slip in school they couldn't dance anymore.  My first born is in in third year university now.....and still on the honour roll......she missed  a lot of Thursdays and Fridays in April and May 😉
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The comps that we pick only schedule solos/duo/trios during school time and allow dancers to drop with a refund if it's going to be a problem. I would be upset if they started scheduling groups during school hours, but I feel that in the last 8 years that I've been involved in competition dance the explosion of the sheer numbers of dancers doing solos/duo/trios compared to when we started in 2009 has extended the competition weekend drastically just to fit it all in.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
It’s quite common for comps to be during school time here. More often it is solos, duos and trios. Our comps are very large and usually go for weeks at a time, so the comps will usually schedule groups for the weekends and solos/duo/trios for the school days. But they are pretty good at scheduling all the same age on the same day. Like all the 10 year old solos on a Tuesday. And it’s very rare for kids to only do 1-2 solos, most do a lot of solos. So it’s not like they are missing school to do just 1 dance, they might do 10 solos that day. You know before you enter that there is a good chance it will be during school, so they certainly don’t offer refunds if you don’t show up. Our competition entry fees are very cheap though, so people tend to just enter and if it clashes with something important like school camp then they just don’t worry about the comp.

Some of our comps also schedule groups on school days. It’s always a lot more expensive to hire the theatres on the weekends, so they may be limited in the number of days they can get. When this happens they tend to schedule the younger age groups like 6 and under, 8 and under on the school days so the high school kids aren’t missing school.

I don’t know how it works in the US, but kids here miss school,all the time to attend school sanctioned competitions. Like swimming carnivals, athletics, volleyball, cross country etc. the Zone and regional comps are always on during school, so they are missing to compete but representing the school.

Most of the dance comps we attend also have sections for schools. So our kids might attend the same comps both to represent their studio and to represent their school. The school sections are always on school days, so again they are missing school for a dance comp, but the school is requiring it!

When you consider how many kids miss school simply because they couldn’t be bothered to go (average daily high school attendance in Australia is 88% so any given day 12% of kids are away), then missing to attend something like a comp that is an educational opportunity in itself, and great way to build confidence and life skills doesn’t seem so bad.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
While I don't like it, I've accepted that Fridays are part of the deal with competitive dance. What irritates me, is when a comp is scheduled for Friday-Sunday and then they just run it Friday-Saturday. While I understand it's probably cheaper, these dancers are still students, and they should run a 2 day competition on Saturday-Sunday. Less time off for the kids and working parents don't have to sacrifice a day off. I've seen this trend this year.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
It's also annoying for us moms who work.  I have to take days off for dance comps.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
It's also annoying for us moms who work.  I have to take days off for dance comps.

I'm more annoyed by this than my kids having to miss a Friday. Although comps starting on a Friday during the day are rare in our area, last year we ended up having 2 of them. So far this year, we don't have any. Well, technically Jump tomorrow would be a missed day if she wasn't already on spring break. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule425
While I don't like it, I've accepted that Fridays are part of the deal with competitive dance. What irritates me, is when a comp is scheduled for Friday-Sunday and then they just run it Friday-Saturday. While I understand it's probably cheaper, these dancers are still students, and they should run a 2 day competition on Saturday-Sunday. Less time off for the kids and working parents don't have to sacrifice a day off. I've seen this trend this year.

Really? We never have that happen, if a comp was scheduled for Friday to Sunday and they only had enough routines for two days, our comps would always then make it Saturday-Sunday. Perhaps part of that is because everyone has to pay for a ticket if they want to go into the audience and watch (except dancers who have their competitor pass). A lot more family and friends are likely to be able to come on the weekend. Also having a big audience adds to the atmosphere of the comp, which would be in the comps best interests too. Our comps are often sold out in the theatres ont he weekends (but never on weekdays unless it is a school comp day).

You do make a good point. I don't mind my kids missing school for a dance comp, I feel they learn more from a day of performing and team work than a day of school. But it also means they might miss a day of dance classes, which can cause problems for studios with loss of income, absent teachers, having to cancel classes etc. Not a good way to encourage studios to return to your comp.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Solos usually start 3 or 4 pm on Fridays so we usually have to leave school early for hair, makeup, and travel. It’s aggravating but we chose to do a solo and duet.
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Due to Senior Balls, our next competition all Teen and Senior Groups are on Friday. We have to be there at noon so I took a vacation day and keeping her our of school as it could take 2 hours to get there if there is an accident on the bridge, which is almost every other day. All 5 groups are between 2:30-3:45. We are probably going to have to change in the bathroom as the main dressing rooms are across a courtyard and you need a golf cart to take you there.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Yeah, my DD missed a lot of school when she was younger due to competing. Now that she is older, she does not compete nearly as often as she used to and she only competes at certain comps. In elementary, she seemed to do ok with missing (catching up wise), but she was falling too behind in high school and began to lose interest in competing. I hate that the comps are scheduled so kiddos have miss school though (and I have to miss work)!!
Dancingemu

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #14 
My girl doesn't do solos for this reason. They have tests every Friday and aren't allowed to make up the tests for unexcused abscesses.
Dancingemu

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
The comps that we pick only schedule solos/duo/trios during school time and allow dancers to drop with a refund if it's going to be a problem. I would be upset if they started scheduling groups during school hours, but I feel that in the last 8 years that I've been involved in competition dance the explosion of the sheer numbers of dancers doing solos/duo/trios compared to when we started in 2009 has extended the competition weekend drastically just to fit it all in.

I think this is the problem. If every dancer only did one or two dances, the weekend would be cut in half
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.