Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Did anyone see the 2 contestants that had dance as their talent? One did a contemporary on pointe ballet routine and the other a jazz that looked like she should have had a baton or something. Both were OK but it made me realize how much I expect to see when I see a dance routine. 
gypsydogg

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I heard they only win $50,000.  Winners of So you think you can dance win more than that!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD and I watched.  I was thrilled with the speech in support of Vanessa Williams; the best part of the show for me!

As far as the dances performed.  We weren't wowed by either one.  The "jazz" dance wasn't as good as most junior numbers seen in competition around here and we thought the point number was worse than that. 

In fact neither of us were very impressed with the talent portion although we were both moved by the "spoken word" monologue by Miss Colorado.  The singers were good but not great as in other years.  The operatic soloist was the best of the singers in my opinion the others were just "eh"...
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DH and I watched it, and DD watched it on and off until she saw the swimsuit section.  "Uh, what's this? Why do they have to do that?"  Good point.

The evening gowns were pretty much all the same, just in different colors.  The talent was sub par from prior years and I won't comment on the two dancers.  That stage must have been super slippery (especially in pointe shoes) and they had little time to warm up.  Not sure why there was background music for the piano player - drowned her out.  The Spoken Word?  While I liked it, it was basically the same thing she said in one of her little intro bits.  And ALL of these women should be good public speakers so I'm not sure how that's a "talent".  But it was nice, and a nice change.  The eventual winner was the best true talent IMO.  

As for the questions, they were stunningly well done, except for the girl who won, and the girl who (I'm hoping mistakenly) said it was a good idea to let people have assault rifles.  That "education" will get rid of gun violence.   These women were very well spoken, knew their stuff, and had a time clock in their heads.  Very impressive.

The girl who won is beautiful, talented and intelligent.  But I still wish Egg McMuffin had won.  [biggrin]

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Ash really wanted to watch, so I ended up watching (judging!) with her.

When I saw Brooke Charvet as one of the hosts, the first thing I said was, "Did they have to pick someone so unintelligent and vapid?"  Of course I did then have to explain the meaning of vapid to Ash!  And then she proved me right by saying Tara Kylie instead of Taya Kyle!

In swimsuit, I thought a couple of the girls were way too skinny, and one who probably should have worn a 1-piece.

With evening gowns, I was bored with the mermaid fit and flare.  Especially since a couple of girls got caught up in the skirts. 

Talent: I agree the background music for the pianist was too loud.  It didn't appear that the piano was miked like the violin was which probably contributed to the problem.  Of the 5 singers, the only one who really wowed me was the girl who eventually one.  Her voice was amazing.  2 of the singers couldn't hit pitch if their life depended on it, and the other 2 were just meh.  I liked the nurse's monologue, but it really wasn't a "talent" per se.  The "jazz" dance might have placed in the Intermediate category around her, but that was it.  The contemporary pointe was not a pointe dance.  It was a contemporary dance done in pointe shoes.  While she did go en pointe a couple of times, I really didn't think it was anything special.

Questions: overall meh.  Some answered better than others.  I actually thought SC was still in the running (barely) until she got the gun question.  She tanked all of her chances in 20 seconds!

Overall, the girl who won deserved it.  She was a standout across the board, and even a controversial question (and answer) couldn't derail her.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
DH and I watched it, and DD watched it on and off until she saw the swimsuit section.  "Uh, what's this? Why do they have to do that?"  Good point.

The evening gowns were pretty much all the same, just in different colors.  The talent was sub par from prior years and I won't comment on the two dancers.  That stage must have been super slippery (especially in pointe shoes) and they had little time to warm up.  Not sure why there was background music for the piano player - drowned her out.  The Spoken Word?  While I liked it, it was basically the same thing she said in one of her little intro bits.  And ALL of these women should be good public speakers so I'm not sure how that's a "talent".  But it was nice, and a nice change.  The eventual winner was the best true talent IMO.  

As for the questions, they were stunningly well done, except for the girl who won, and the girl who (I'm hoping mistakenly) said it was a good idea to let people have assault rifles.  That "education" will get rid of gun violence.   These women were very well spoken, knew their stuff, and had a time clock in their heads.  Very impressive.

The girl who won is beautiful, talented and intelligent.  But I still wish Egg McMuffin had won.  [biggrin]

I agree with pretty much everything you said. IMHO I don't think the woman who won should have won. First off she tripped, several times, on her evening gown, then she completely botched the interview question. Her answer 'if there was a question then yes he cheated'. 

I was VERY impressed with the way the Planned Parenthood and Donald trump questions were handled! I was disappointed with assault rifle questions too. DD and I really liked that contestant.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Ash really wanted to watch, so I ended up watching (judging!) with her.

When I saw Brooke Charvet as one of the hosts, the first thing I said was, "Did they have to pick someone so unintelligent and vapid?"  Of course I did then have to explain the meaning of vapid to Ash!  And then she proved me right by saying Tara Kylie instead of Taya Kyle!

In swimsuit, I thought a couple of the girls were way too skinny, and one who probably should have worn a 1-piece.

With evening gowns, I was bored with the mermaid fit and flare.  Especially since a couple of girls got caught up in the skirts. 

Talent: I agree the background music for the pianist was too loud.  It didn't appear that the piano was miked like the violin was which probably contributed to the problem.  Of the 5 singers, the only one who really wowed me was the girl who eventually one.  Her voice was amazing.  2 of the singers couldn't hit pitch if their life depended on it, and the other 2 were just meh.  I liked the nurse's monologue, but it really wasn't a "talent" per se.  The "jazz" dance might have placed in the Intermediate category around her, but that was it.  The contemporary pointe was not a pointe dance.  It was a contemporary dance done in pointe shoes.  While she did go en pointe a couple of times, I really didn't think it was anything special.

Questions: overall meh.  Some answered better than others.  I actually thought SC was still in the running (barely) until she got the gun question.  She tanked all of her chances in 20 seconds!

Overall, the girl who won deserved it.  She was a standout across the board, and even a controversial question (and answer) couldn't derail her.

Re the bold - DD said 'I don't see why she's en pointe? She could have done this in lyrical shoes or barefoot and it would have looked the same.'

I also felt like both songs were less happy and both the dancers had smiles plastered on their faces.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm giving the contestants a bit of a pass on talent it was such s weird way to present talent with everybody sitting on stage waiting to see if they made the cut for that round. The stage looked horribly inappropriate for dance. I was so happy Vanessa got her apology. I was really impressed with the girls who answered the Planned Parenthood and Trump questions. They didn't even try to skirt the issue or give a politically correct nonanswer
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Didn't watch it but heard all about the hoopla with the question regarding Tom Brady cheating.  I'm from New England and clearly a Pats fan and he didn't cheat.  LOL!!  [rofl]
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
To begin, I am southern(from SC) and I like pageants, not the little kid kind....the real deal MAO/USA. I should be a pageant consultant and was highly pissed when Kim of Queens was cancelled.

I have been following Daja for a long time. LOVE HER! She is the entire package. She could have done better on the question and was a little off pitch on her song....but even the winner did the same. I was extremely surprised that she did not make first runner up or Miss America as she was polished and poised through it all.

Miss Georgia tripped twice in evening gown, her song was great and she looked gorgeous in her dress. Her mouth bothers me so much and her ugly cry face every time she was called, she also bombed her question....one she asked for it to be repeated and she knows nothing about "deflategate" and it showed....typical pageant answer. Sorry Pats fans....he cheated, they know nothing but cheating-cheated my team right out of a Super Bowl [wink]

Kitchen sink dance(contemporary/pointe) was the most idiotic move of the night. Honey you should have just picked something else and committed to one style. Those pointe shoes weren't doing you any favors as you didn't really use them but all of 5 times. The other dance I texted Old SO's daughter and told her to check her closet as that was a direct copy of her talent costume for Miss SC 2 years ago. Nurse's "monologue", while very sweet, was just a storytelling she did NO ACTING....this is not a talent.   

I also saw the typical evening gown staple "white dresses win". Still thought Daja's was the best of the night....it showed she had personal style.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I have to confess that I am a pageant mom as well as a dance mom.  And rarely do the dance numbers meet the same criteria we would see in the dance world.  BUT these girls have to be so well-rounded and civically active that committed dance training is probably not an option.  That said, pageant girls are some of the brightest, busiest, socially progressive women I know.  They have to get good grades and pursue higher education, they have to be physically fit, they all actively volunteer in their communities and most do have an honest talent they pursue or take classes in.  I will preface this by saying it isn't my home state but the one contestant that got shorted seems to be Miss Iowa.  She won two of the prelims including talent but was cut between formal wear and talent.

ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I had to look it up bc I don't want pageants.  YUCK!  They even dance pageanty!  I did not like it at all.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: