Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
josiemn

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
This is all new to me, so I'm hoping to get ideas from more experienced families! My daughter will be 14 this summer, and is seeking recommendations on a summer intensive, camp or even studio/company where she will be challenged while her studio is on break. She dances competitively in all styles; her focus is contemporary and jazz. She attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Michigan last summer and really enjoyed it. She's looking for something new this summer, ideally in Minnesota or the Midwest. Thoughts? Thanks!
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Interlochen in northern Michigan I've heard has a really good summer program. 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Tu Dance in St. Paul has an amazing pre-pro summer intensive. They specialize in contemporary, and the owners are from Alvin Ailey. 
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Crash Dance in Minneapolis offers a summer intensive. This past summer it was in August (after we were back to the studio). They also offer drop in classes on Sunday nights. My dancer was just telling me that they are offering 2 levels (previously it was just advanced dancers).
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
Interlochen in northern Michigan I've heard has a really good summer program. 

Just to clarify that's in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.  Sorry there's a whole part that's way North of there [smile]
josiemn

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
As I continue researching, it seems she will likely need to travel. What one- or two-week programs (in major cities) are your favorites for a young dancer who seeks to focus on jazz/contemporary?
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The Big Muddy Dance Company (contemporary) in St Louis has a 1-week intensive during the summer.  For your DD's age, it was the week immediately following Jul 4 (started on Jul 5) this past summer.

MADCO (modern) also in St Louis has a 1-week intensive as well.  Unfortunately, there is usually a week or 2 between them, so not conducive for back to back!
josiemn

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
How about the NYCDA two-week intensive? She loves the convention, and the program curriculum looks to be aligned with her passions. Any insight?
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiemn
How about the NYCDA two-week intensive? She loves the convention, and the program curriculum looks to be aligned with her passions. Any insight?

DD loved the NYCDA SI.  She met lots of amazing dancers from across the country that she continues to be friends with (one of which is now her roommate in college), and she loved everything about the intensive.  Another one, since you're willing to travel, that she loved was Generation IV.  It's in MA... it's a week long... a huge variety of dance styles... and just an all around great experience.  BUT it sells out VERY quickly, so you'd want to register her as soon as registration opens.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: