Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klba37
so glad our studio don't ask us to sell tickets to the show only raffle tickets at $1 each. Those are much easier to sell and you have a chance to win a great basket of goodies!

Not to be an a**, but does your studio know there are very huge legal rules for running a raffle?  We were considering it at dd's elementary school but to make it a legal endevor, I had to take a class with the state of CO and become a certified "Game Manager" (which I did).  Then if we had proceeded (we decided against that at that point) we would have had to open a separate bank account where just those funds would be deposited.  The tickets had to say very, very specific things and had to be numbered and accounted for to the state in quarterly reports along with the bank account records.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Quote:
so glad our studio don't ask us to sell tickets to the show only raffle tickets at $1 each. Those are much easier to sell and you have a chance to win a great basket of goodies!

Not to be an a**, but does your studio know there are very huge legal rules for running a raffle?  We were considering it at dd's elementary school but to make it a legal endevor, I had to take a class with the state of CO and become a certified "Game Manager" (which I did).  Then if we had proceeded (we decided against that at that point) we would have had to open a separate bank account where just those funds would be deposited.  The tickets had to say very, very specific things and had to be numbered and accounted for to the state in quarterly reports along with the bank account records.

Schools, the Boys and Girls clubs, dance studios, individual clubs.. they ALL do them around here. My husband used to do them at the races for my son's ski team. I can't imagine that absolutely everyone is just unknowingly (or knowingly) breaking some law. Or maybe, in the bigger picture, it's not really important enough for anyone who matters (and has common sense) to care.  Regulations like that are generally put in place with some bigger issue in mind (like true gaming).... not to keep kids from fundraising for their dance team.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Non-profits have strict rules about raffles. I'm not sure it's a big deal for for-profits.  I also think it depends on the individual state regulations.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Quote:

Schools, the Boys and Girls clubs, dance studios, individual clubs.. they ALL do them around here. My husband used to do them at the races for my son's ski team. I can't imagine that absolutely everyone is just unknowingly (or knowingly) breaking some law. Or maybe, in the bigger picture, it's not really important enough for anyone who matters (and has common sense) to care.  Regulations like that are generally put in place with some bigger issue in mind (like true gaming).... not to keep kids from fundraising for their dance team.

Oh I think you would be surprised. I know I was.  It is considered gambling or gaming.  But the rules are different in each state,

Here are the rules, state by state:
http://www.fundraiserhelp.com/state-raffle-laws.htm

ETA:  With how competitive studios are with each other, all it would take would be some other studio reporting their competitor to the secretary of state/gaming commission in order to create a world of hurt.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:
Quote:

Oh I think you would be surprised. I know I was.  It is considered gambling or gaming.  But the rules are different in each state,

Here are the rules, state by state:
http://www.fundraiserhelp.com/state-raffle-laws.htm

ETA:  With how competitive studios are with each other, all it would take would be some other studio reporting their competitor to the secretary of state/gaming commission in order to create a world of hurt.

IDK I still don't think the law was put in place with your average neighborhood PTO/sports teams/arts groups... the ones trying to raise a little money to fund activities/opportunities for their students/members.... in mind.  Even if someone were to report them, I would be very surprised if they got more than a phone call making them aware of the law.  If that.  The state gaming commission has bigger fish to fry.

I'm not doubting that the law exists and that someone at your school who plays by the rules every second of their life became concerned that it might come back to haunt you but.... the world is full of worry warts making mountains of out molehills.  Generally speaking, I pay them no mind [smile]
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:

Thank you for bringing that up. I learned something new! We were considering a "raffle" kind of promotional drawing for a client at work and nobody knew that "raffle" was only for non-profit organizations. We reworded, and waiting for compliance review. [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.