Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm panicking now because our minimum ticket sales for our winter showcase went from 10 per family last year to 20. We live really far away from family, and my friends either also have to sell tickets since their kid is also in company, single moms without the time, money or inclination to see a show or work friends who live 30+ minutes away (I'm a commuter). Hubby's friends all travel for work too, and probably wouldn't want to see a dance show either. SO suggested in the email going door to door or setting up tables outside local businesses but I'm not really comfortable with that. Any ideas?? My poor kids always suffer when it comes to this sort of thing since we don't get out much. I'm always at work or taking care of the girls and hubby's always traveling[frown]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Other than family and friends who would maybe actually WANT to attend,  who else would anyone actually sell to?    Strangers do not want to see another strangers dance recital.   This is truly bizarre.  20 TICKETS???!!!   That's an insane thing to ask of families.   Any other parents who don't have a prayer of selling 20 that you know of?    Maybe you could all request a meeting?   That is not a reasonable requirement.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Other than family and friends who would maybe actually WANT to attend,  who else would anyone actually sell to?    Strangers do not want to see another strangers dance recital.   This is truly bizarre.  20 TICKETS???!!!   That's an insane thing to ask of families.   Any other parents who don't have a prayer of selling 20 that you know of?    Maybe you could all request a meeting?   That is not a reasonable requirement.

I'm with My2DanceLoves.  Your SO has a screw loose.  

And just how big is this theatre/auditorium?  Depending on how large the cast is that could be quite a large number of tickets.  If it's a matter of selling enough to cover the cost of renting the space, maybe it's time to consider renting a smaller space.  I hate when SOs insist on satisfying their big egos even if it means creating a hardship for their loyal customers.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
It is a local performing arts center with custom made programs, etc, but I'm with you in thinking strangers wouldn't want to see a dance recital. There are 55 company families, 2 shows. The handbook we signed said "required to sell a minimum of 15 tickets to our Dance Experience each year and/or raise a minimum of $300. This can be done by obtaining tax-deductible donations, business sponsorships, or participation/ implementation of other fundraisers." I'm going to remind SO about the 15 stated in the handbook. Last year, a bunch of us balked at 10, but no one got in trouble or anything if they didn't sell their minimum. Maybe she's trying to push the people who have copious amounts of friends/family? 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzminesun81
It is a local performing arts center with custom made programs, etc, but I'm with you in thinking strangers wouldn't want to see a dance recital. There are 55 company families, 2 shows. The handbook we signed said "required to sell a minimum of 15 tickets to our Dance Experience each year and/or raise a minimum of $300. This can be done by obtaining tax-deductible donations, business sponsorships, or participation/ implementation of other fundraisers." I'm going to remind SO about the 15 stated in the handbook. Last year, a bunch of us balked at 10, but no one got in trouble or anything if they didn't sell their minimum. Maybe she's trying to push the people who have copious amounts of friends/family? 

How many "dance experiences"  do you have a year?   Will you face this requirement again in the spring? 

I think this is a "let's see how many people I can squeeze in this way"  kind of set up. 

If it were me ,   I might just see what happens if I don't sell the minimum.  Like Heidi,  I feel that if the SO doesn't have the bodies in attendance to cover the cost of the venue with reasonable ticket prices , then they should be booking less expensive venues.  
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
In terms of non-comp performances we just have 2; the "experience", which is a showcase made up entirely of competition pieces and used as a trial run/fundraiser, and the end of year recital. Last year, nothing happened if you didn't sell your 10.

Believe it or not, public schools around here are even worse about asking for stuff. There's at least 1 fundraiser per month at most of the elementary schools around here, in addition to the "wish lists" for the classroom that go out at the beginning of each semester and the random little requests. I end up selling See's candy twice a year, for the elementary school at Christmas and for the dance school at Easter. One of my friends had 3 different Axxess book fundraisers in one year for her kids' stuff.

I'd agree about the squeezing thing, but SO is typically pretty reasonable. We have a max tuition for unlimited classes, and she tries to keep costume and travel costs down.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Are there dancers at your studio that aren't on the competition team and not in this performance that might want to go see it? That's all I can think of. I can't imagine random strangers would have much interest in this sort of thing.

Last year dd was in a pre-pro contemporary company. The dancers in the company were from all different studios. Each company member was responsible for selling 30 tickets. We had to purchase them in advance, so if we couldn't sell them all, we were out the money. It turned out fine though. Lots of dd's dance friends that weren't part of the company wanted to go see the show. They did two shows, and both sold out.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter (16) has always performed in professional theaters. I have never been required to purchase a minimum amount of tickets. She has been at 2 different ballet schools (but been cast in other professional performances) and while we have had to pay a Nutcracker fee and then a costume fee/showcase fee, those are no where near your costs. I think I'd purchase them for my family for each show and call it a day. If your studio is a non-profit, perhaps you could make a token donation to the non-profit and take a credit...?
mandyx3

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Quote:

I'm with My2DanceLoves.  Your SO has a screw loose.  

And just how big is this theatre/auditorium?  Depending on how large the cast is that could be quite a large number of tickets.  If it's a matter of selling enough to cover the cost of renting the space, maybe it's time to consider renting a smaller space.  I hate when SOs insist on satisfying their big egos even if it means creating a hardship for their loyal customers.

I agree wholeheartedly. that whole thing is just all sorts of crazy. OMG. 
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I would do that once...then I would be looking very hard for a different studio for the next year and encouraging all the other families to join me.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
This is one of those hidden expenses we all need to ask about when looking at a new studio! 

Dd has never been anywhere with a minimum ticket purchase. In fact, at her comp school, there was a maximum! Every family was a allowed a certain number of tickets. Once everyone had purchased, you could buy more. We used to share with others on our team.. those with small families would give some of their allotment to others who needed more tickets.  This was a recital in a 1500+ seat professional theater with union employees (ie more expensive). There were no recital fees and costumes were not outrageous, but not cheap either. Some numbers did not need to buy costumes if they used previously existing costumes from the school's costume shop, but that was rare. 

The SO in the original post needs to find another way to collect the necessary money for these performances. Charge a performance fee upfront or, do what many do, and add it into the tuition over the course of the year. Her tuition is "reasonable" for a reason. It's not covering the necessary expenses.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our previous studio had a 5 ticket per person requirement for their winter show and I believe for the comp showcase (I might be remembering that incorrectly), but not for the June recital. We usually just bought from each other if we needed more than 5 rather than asking for more at the desk. I didn't like it, but I usually needed 5-ish tickets anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. But 20? That's nuts.  Current studio has no requirement. You could drop them off at he stage door and come back to pick them up three hours later if you wanted. Nobody does, but you could!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzminesun81
In terms of non-comp performances we just have 2; the "experience", which is a showcase made up entirely of competition pieces and used as a trial run/fundraiser, and the end of year recital. Last year, nothing happened if you didn't sell your 10.

Believe it or not, public schools around here are even worse about asking for stuff. There's at least 1 fundraiser per month at most of the elementary schools around here, in addition to the "wish lists" for the classroom that go out at the beginning of each semester and the random little requests. I end up selling See's candy twice a year, for the elementary school at Christmas and for the dance school at Easter. One of my friends had 3 different Axxess book fundraisers in one year for her kids' stuff.

I'd agree about the squeezing thing, but SO is typically pretty reasonable. We have a max tuition for unlimited classes, and she tries to keep costume and travel costs down.

How much are your tickets?  What is the pricing for your unlimited tuition? 
We also have a max tuition for unlimited classes.  It is $195.00 per month. Very reasonable.  Our competition showcase for parents/friends/family is free to attend even though the studio pays to use the space they perform in for this.  Our recital is held in an arena ....with the studio having to pay union labor costs for set up on top of what the venue charges for using the space for a weekend.  Our tickets are $12-$14 with no minimum requirement.  There are no recital fees.  Our costumes costs are catalog prices ...no upcharge.  Comp families pay a 1 time comp team fee of about $25 to compensate SO for costs associated with spending entire weekends at comps.  Fundraisers are offered several times a year but not required. 

Just wanted to give you an idea of why some of us are questioning this practice.  If you are a small family, chances are you don't have a prayer of selling 20 tickets.   If I were you I wouldn't worry about this requirement and buy only what you need.   It's insane.  I'm kind of shocked an SO would even put a requirement like this out there.  Even more shocked if no one is questioning them on it.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Absolutely no way would I sell tickets to strangers to watch a bunch of young children dance, when the expectation is that the people in the audience are "family and friends".  It's not that far off the scenario of predators attending dance competitions, frankly.  Your SO needs to give her head a shake.

At both studios DD has attended there is a maximum number of tickets you can buy.  After a certain date, if there are seats left, you can buy more. At our current studio, only a handful of the comp families buy tickets to any of the three shows.  There is absolutely no obligation for them to do so.  (I buy tickets to all three shows. Not only is that my kid out there so I'm watching ...but I love to cheer on all the recreational kids and the odd comp number that I either didn't get a chance to see all season, or really loved and want to see one more time.)
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
This is insane!  Our pre comp show is held at a professional theatre and we are required to pre purchase 2 tickets ($25/each) when we sign back the form accepting our comp groups.  After that any extra sales are done through the venue and you can buy as many as you want.  There is no requirement at all for recital.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

The SO in the original post needs to find another way to collect the necessary money for these performances. Charge a performance fee upfront or, do what many do, and add it into the tuition over the course of the year. Her tuition is "reasonable" for a reason. It's not covering the necessary expenses.

That's right.  Don't be fooled.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I agree with others that this is insane.  I think even 10 is ridiculous.  I had trouble getting my husband to sit through these let alone 8 other friends or relatives.  I would have to pay for them myself and then beg them to even show up.  I have also dealt with maximum ticket numbers like many others here.  Your SO needs to book a smaller venue.  Bottom line.  I would be looking to go elsewhere, but I would also outright refuse to sell even 10 unwanted tickets.  If I had signed that agreement, I would be like, here is your $300, now leave me alone and I won't be back next year.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I'd buy what I needed and that's it.  We don't have any family so it's typically just me, dh and ds at the shows.  No way would I pay for 17 tickets that weren't going to be used.  Not after I pay tuition, costumes, etc.  One of the reasons we left dd's last studio is their requiring us to pay for their bad business decisions.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
My daughter has always performed in professional theaters where ticket sales were open to the public. I don't think I've ever thought about predators attending!

jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
The "experience" tickets are $10. I asked the front desk, and they said if every family sold 20 tickets, it would sell out the show, and there's no actual penalty for not selling the minimum. It just goes toward your family's fundraising quota. Tuition pricing is similar to what you describe, as is recital and comp pricing with no minimum or maximum ticket sales for recital. In fact, at the beginning of the comp year, we get an itemized breakdown of all of the charges and there is no upcharge on costumes or convention/comp fees. Choreo fees are about $125-175 per number for DD since at DD's age they don't do solos. Given that the choreo fees for each dance cover someone running the dance with them 6 hours during choreography weeks (2 weeks), then 30 minutes a week thereafter + additional cleaning where necessary, that seems pretty reasonable. 

I totally understand questioning the practice. I'm questioning it myself. 10 seemed like a lot to me last year. The $300 in fundraising seemed like a lot to me, too, but it seems standard around these parts for organized activities. Between the tickets and the candy fundraiser, I can typically make it since they base it off of how much you sell, not how much was made.

The ones that don't have the fundraising requirement often have much higher annual fees so it ends up working out about the same. The other local studio that does not have a fundraising requirement charges $50-$60/ticket for their recital, which is held at the same venue as ours. And they have a minimum requirement on recital tickets! They also have to buy a bunch of new logowear every year. At our studio, you just buy warmups and you can wear them until you outgrow them. The other local studio is similar to ours in fee structure and just has the total fundraising requirement.

Maybe it's just a really expensive area for extracurriculars? My friend's son does club ice hockey, and she has to raise $700! Martial arts around here is $180/month just for 2 hours a week, plus you have to pay for belt tests, and at some dojos you even have to pay to be there at the belt test (which is why I never enrolled my kids in that). One of the gymnastics teams around here charges $275/month plus you have to do a certain number of volunteer hours. The one that doesn't require volunteer hours charges around $380/month. Even taking any sort of activity through the YMCA or parks & rec around here is upwards of $45/month per class when applicable, and those are in the daytime when I work and can't get my kids there anyhow. Classes through studios, clubs, etc, typically start around $65/month for the 1st class and go on a sliding scale from there. I put DD7 in an after school robotics class for her birthday for 1 6 week session and it was $85.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Glad to see it is not actually mandatory to buy all those tickets!

I have trouble understanding why some of these studios structure their fees in such a complicated manner. I guess I'd rather have it all bundled in. I've never paid a choreography fee aside from the one time dd asked a Latin dance teacher to work with her on a Latin inspired contemporary pointe solo for a teen arts program. We've always just paid tuition and maybe an additional fee for participating in optional performances or events including competitions, Nut, full length ballets, and even an optional recital. 

I guess I've been lucky in that the only fundraising we've come across in dance has been for non-profits and not for individual dancers. There was no fundraising at her comp school or her other non-ballet school except for charity fundraisers.

Nevertheless, I think kids' activities are pricey everywhere these days!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
In your original post you made it sound as though you were required to sell 20 tickets.  That is what we all are reacting to.  Glad that is not actually the case.

But I think "requiring"  any minimums or any fundraising at all is a little suspect.  Lay out what everything will cost for the year and let the parents decide what they can do.  

jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Her email this week said "required" but then I looked at the handbook and it said and/or. The minimum fundraising is laid out at the beginning of the year. I usually get a credit back in spring because they've managed to come in under budget for costumes or because they also give attendance incentives. I emailed her back pointing that out and hopefully she'll send out a correction. I'm pretty sure there are some parents new to the team freaking out about that email.

To be fair, SO is preggers so there have been a couple of times in the past couple of months I've noticed something was amiss in one of her emails. I hate to say it, but both times I was preggers there were a couple of times I ended up using the "recall message" function myself!

Quote:
In your original post you made it sound as though you were required to sell 20 tickets.  That is what we all are reacting to.  Glad that is not actually the case.

But I think "requiring"  any minimums or any fundraising at all is a little suspect.  Lay out what everything will cost for the year and let the parents decide what they can do.  

Klba37

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
so glad our studio don't ask us to sell tickets to the show only raffle tickets at $1 each. Those are much easier to sell and you have a chance to win a great basket of goodies!
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
We don't have any # requirements for winter. I purchased 10 (2 for 2 shows and 3 for 2 shows) this year. June, we have a maximum per show our child(ten) is/are in during meeting week, after that it is a free for all and they always tend to sell out. They are pretty expensive for June, but the programs are worth it. I got lucky this year that family only needs to come to 2 of the 6 shows to see all of the routines my kids are in. I never get to watch because I am backstage, but I buy DVDs of June.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: