Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What store(s) do you trust to have your daughter's fitted for pointe shoes?

I was lucky that we had a trip to NYC planned when it was my turn to go en pointe, so I got my first fitting at the Capezio flagship store.

Honestly, I would love to do something exciting like that for my daughter, but that might not be possible. So, I'm curious what stores you have used, and that did a good job.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Our studio strictly goes to Loretta's in Keego Harbor. My daughter is hoping for this fall to go on pointe but 11 is still a little early with our studio and she'll just turn 11 in September. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Not in that area, but definitely find a store that carries a variety of shoes in a variety of styles with a fitter who actually takes the time to work with your dancer.

I do not intend to knock Capezio, but when Ash first got approved for pointe, we were sent to a specific store by our studio.  The "fitter" looked at her feet (still in street shoes) and said "XYZ shoe by Capezio."  Ash put those shoes on, and the fitter said they were perfect; never even tried another pair.  They were awful for Ash!  They had soft shanks that Ash's flexible feet destroyed in a matter of weeks (en pointe 30 mins/week).  I actually thought it was normal to got through a pair a month with that little time en pointe.  Fortunately, the recommended shoes were only $35/pair.

Flash forward a few years, and I found a much more reputable store in town with an AWESOME fitter.  The price of her shoes increased significantly ($100/pair), but they were so much better/safer for her feet.  And she does not bust shanks as quickly (have to special order the hard/extra hard shanks).  She does still kill shoes on a regular basis, but not like she did initially.  

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
All our girls go The Shoe Room at The National Ballet of Canada in Toronto.  http://www.theshoeroom.ca/virtual-fitting/
minidancem0m

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I second Loretta's!
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The thing about going to a Capezio (or any other) flagship store is, you'll no doubt walk out with the flagship's brand.  I'd prefer a store with multiple brands and styles on hand to try on, and a fitter who knows the differences.  I've heard good things about the shoe room in Toronto, that's no doubt  closer than Saratoga NY.   I'm not close enough geographically to offer any local suggestions.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I have to admit that I switched from Capezio pretty fast! They never fit right!

We have a store just 10 minutes from our house, but their selection includes a total of about 10 styles/brands.

Most important, though, is that the staff KNOW what they are doing.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD goes to Loretta's, too, and we've been pretty happy with the experience there.  They did a better job of finding the right shoe for her (after trying on many pairs) than the first store we went to.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I believe you have to schedule a fitting at Loretta's for pointe shoes because she takes that long making sure the shoe is perfect for the dancer. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
It is funny because I've seen advertising for Loretta's, but I never paid much attention.

Yesterday, I popped into the studio to write a check (I laughed out loud b/c I remembered the "Corvette Payment" from another thread), and on the wall was an advertisement for Loretta's rewards program.
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm assuming she's been asked to go on pointe so I'm actually surprised your studio isn't directing you to where they would want her to go. Our studio owner personally goes to the pointe shoe fitting with the girls and schedules a block of time for all of the girls going on pointe that year. 
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew
I'm assuming she's been asked to go on pointe so I'm actually surprised your studio isn't directing you to where they would want her to go. Our studio owner personally goes to the pointe shoe fitting with the girls and schedules a block of time for all of the girls going on pointe that year. 

Nothing like that here.  The green light to get them, a caution to not sew or otherwise make the shoe un-returnable/exchangeable until a teacher "approves" of the purchase, and maybe a link to a video showing someone sewing a ribbon.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcrew

They might very well have a specific process, although they didn't back in 1985 when I went up on pointe (same studio). We were told she'll be going up this summer, with an agreed-upon semi-private each week to supplement. I'm a planner and love to gather information. I'm guessing it won't be until late May, after comps and recitals, that we will get more information from the studio.

The SO would most definitely NOT be going to the fitting. Her focus is on the semi-professional company and a few of her "stars." She definitely wouldn't be involved with the fitting of an 11-yr-old non-phenom. [wink]
sk8jdgca

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We always drove up to Toronto but one if the girls went to the big dance store in Ann Arbor and liked the fitting
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: