Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lblacksten

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What are some dances you have seen that the theme really made you think?  I've seen a lot of body image, cancer, domestic abuse, but is there something else out there?
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
With a senior dancer in the house, we've spent many long hours watching these so-called meaningful dances.  I'm sad for the dancers, to be honest.  They have to do these pieces for the better part of a year.  When you see things like this on shows like SYTYCD, etc., they are one-offs.  Learned and performed in quick succession, rarely repeated.  I just can't imagine dancing a sad piece about someone you love dying of cancer for almost a year, week in and week out. I don't think studios think of that when they set the pieces.  I wish they would.  
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes! Here's one DD showed me that she LOVES!

3mama5678

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Substance abuse. 9/11. Divorce. Bullying. Suicide. Mental illness. War. School shootings. Grief/loss
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I looked back and your dancers are about 12 and 13?  Gosh, I wouldn't push a "meaningful" piece - unless it was something loss related or bullying. (Or a personal issue your child personally wanted to work through in a dance.)

I have seen teen dances about substance abuse, mental illness, and suicide - and I am always bothered - not in a good way.  Watching a pretty dancer pretend to shoot up is not a dance to me.  Honestly these topics feel exploitive of people who struggle with real problems to me.  Psychological distress should not be a dance "theme" in my opinion.  If your dancer struggles personally with a psychological issue, dance might be a place to express him/herself, but otherwise, I wish the dance community would move away from psych ward exploitation dances.

And, I'm so tired of the body image dances - just don't.
nyklane

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I recently saw one about rainbow babies.  It was danced beautifully, but I will say watching them dance "labor" (twice) and the blood they used for miscarriage was a bit much for my little one in the audience.  It left me uneasy.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Honestly, the ones I've seen at competitions generally make me think one or more of the following:
* that dancer(s) is in over her head
* totally inappropriate
* clumsy caricature of something serious
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
These kind of dances always feel very contrived to me. Not a fan.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane
I recently saw one about rainbow babies.  It was danced beautifully, but I will say watching them dance "labor" (twice) and the blood they used for miscarriage was a bit much for my little one in the audience.  It left me uneasy.

Agree with dancermom128 in that these types of dances feel contrived. I mean really, how many dancers at these dance competitions have actually had a rainbow baby and know what a miscarriage emotionally feels like for a baby that was truly wanted????
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Honestly, the ones I've seen at competitions generally make me think one or more of the following:
* that dancer(s) is in over her head
* totally inappropriate
* clumsy caricature of something serious

Dave nailed it!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Not a duet but our studio did a routine one year about disease.  They only picked kids who had personally dealt with a serious disease in their family and then they each wore black t shirts with a ribbon of colour representing their disease.  I can't remember the name of the song but it was very powerful because the kids all had something to draw on.
lblacksten

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Well that's kinda why I'm asking. My daughter has been dancing with her duet partner for 7 years. They are tired of doing the happy, go lucky same thing and want something a little more grown up. What could young teens do that would be meaningful?
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
If they are teens I would find an issue that they are passionate about and then find a song that reflects their passion.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: