Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
We are early in our college search, but dd and I have been putting together a list of potential BFA/BA programs.  Is there some sort of master list on this forum, or would folks be up for throwing out the names of quality programs?

We have the following on our long list so far.  She is specifically looking for a program with a strong choreography program.

University of Indiana

Temple University (PA)

University of Southern Mississippi

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

College at Brockport (NY)

Marymount Manhattan (NY)

Fordham University/Ailey (NY)

Meredith (NC)

University of Southern California/Kauffman (CA)

Boston Conservatory

University of Hartford (Hartt School)

University of Oklahoma

SUNY-Purchase

University of the Arts (PA)

University of Arizona

Southern Methodist University (TX)

UNC-Greensboro

University of South Carolina

Elon University

Virginia Commonwealth University

Montclair State (NJ)

NYU/Tisch

Point Park

Julliard (NY)

UNCSA

Butler University (IN)

Thanks!

tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Rutgers, Towson, Florida State, James Madison and George Mason. Have a look at Dancewave.org and their dancing through college weekend page. It was at the beginning of October in NYC. On the right hand of the page it lists participating programs. While this is in no way complete, it may give you a list to work from.

threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks!

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Close to me - University if Missouri Kansas City has a BFA program that’s Conservatory style

Stephens College has a wonderful BFA program in Columbia MO
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I would also recommend looking at the website/message board ballet talk for dancers. They have an extensive list of programs and reviews. They are decidedly not chatty, and the board has lots of rules, but they are an extremely excellent resource.
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
LOL yes I am very familiar with BTFD--just looking to expand our reach beyond strictly ballet-focused programs.  Thanks!

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My DD is a BFA at MSU. Great modern based program. There are quite a few choreo classes but not a choreography concentration.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think it is Dance Magazine that puts out a huge college issue annually. Would be worth a look. I picked it up one year and it was huge and full of programs I had never known about
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
Close to me - University if Missouri Kansas City has a BFA program that’s Conservatory style

Stephens College has a wonderful BFA program in Columbia MO

I know Stephens has a choreography concentration, that’s where my DDs mentor teacher got her choreography BFA.
BalletDad

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Just went through this with my DD. She just started as a freshman in the Fordham/Ailey BFA program and loves it. These are some other we looked at:

Adelphi University
Arizona State University
California Institute of the Arts
Dominican University of California/Alonzo King LINES Ballet
Kent State University
Marymount Manhattan College
Pace University
Tulane University
University of Colorado Boulder
University of Florida
University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Michigan
University of Utah

You should also look at  smarterdancer.com. There is a searchable college directory there.  

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I think it is Dance Magazine that puts out a huge college issue annually. Would be worth a look. I picked it up one year and it was huge and full of programs I had never known about

I second this.  It was worth every penny we spent on it!

My daughter is currently a BA at Point Park, and she adores it.  Her 2 roommates are both BFAs, and they love it too.  No choreo concentration (modern, jazz or ballet concentrations), but they do student choreography shows every fall (not sure about spring)
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Dance Spirit College Guide was the best $40 we ever spent. It is how my son heard of Mercyhurst University. He is a B.A. but they do offer a B.F.A., in fact most of the dancers are in the B.F.A. Program.
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #13 
I have no real personal knowledge, but Chapman in CA is supposed to be good.  Lauren Froderman (from So You Think You Can Dance) went there. I only know this because dd used to dance with her years ago and I worked with her dad.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
I have no real personal knowledge, but Chapman in CA is supposed to be good.  Lauren Froderman (from So You Think You Can Dance) went there. I only know this because dd used to dance with her years ago and I worked with her dad.

I have a friend who's daughter is a junior at Chapman and she loves it there.
cdnmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2

I second this.  It was worth every penny we spent on it!

My daughter is currently a BA at Point Park, and she adores it.  Her 2 roommates are both BFAs, and they love it too.  No choreo concentration (modern, jazz or ballet concentrations), but they do student choreography shows every fall (not sure about spring)

My daughter graduated from Point Park (BFA) and had many choreography opportunities - through required courses and the Student Choreography Project.  She speaks very highly of her experience there.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I think it's a great idea to try and have a list to help others down the road who might be starting their research. I'll add to your original list...
  • University of Indiana
  • Temple University (PA)
  • University of Southern Mississippi
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • College at Brockport (NY)
  • Marymount Manhattan (NY)
  • Fordham University/Ailey (NY)
  • Meredith (NC)
  • University of Southern California/Kauffman (CA)
  • Boston Conservatory
  • University of Hartford (Hartt School)
  • University of Oklahoma
  • SUNY-Purchase
  • University of the Arts (PA)
  • University of Arizona
  • Southern Methodist University (TX)
  • UNC-Greensboro
  • University of South Carolina
  • Elon University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Montclair State (NJ)
  • NYU/Tisch
  • Point Park
  • Julliard (NY)
  • UNCSA
  • Butler University (IN)
  • Rutgers
  • Towson
  • Florida State
  • James Madison
  • George Mason
  • University of Missouri Kansas City
  • Stephens College
  • MSU
  • Adelphi University
  • Arizona State University
  • California Institute of the Arts
  • Dominican University of California/Alonzo King LINES Ballet
  • Kent State University
  • Pace University
  • Tulane University
  • University of Colorado Boulder
  • University of Florida
  • University of Massachusetts Amherst
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Utah
  • Chapman University
  • Cal State Long Beach
  • Mercyhurst
  • UC Irvine
  • UC Santa Barbara
  • University of Kansas
  • Friends University
fishoutofwater

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Gosh!  Where do you even begin with a list that long?  I have a high school freshman who really does not have a clue what she wants to do, although wants dance to be a part of her life some how.  Right now she's thinking Dance Therapy or a double major of dance and a dietician/nutrician program.   This list makes me start to hyper ventilate!
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
That is where the Dance Spirit College guide comes in handy. It has so much information about the schools. I was able to narrow down the list based on what my son wanted in a program and a school. Then once it was significantly shortened, we could research the schools.
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
fishoutofwater, it also helps make it more clear that a dancer needs to try and figure out what they want from their program. Do they want daily ballet classes? Do they want their own choreographic opportunities? Do they want multiple performance opportunities every year? Do they want small classes? Do they want an urban/rural/suburban environment? Do they want a small liberal arts college or a large university? Does geographic location matter? Do they want faculty that seem invested in promoting their dancers? We started with a huge list like that but ultimately whittled it down.
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Yes, the Dance Spirit guide is super helpful!

We’ve started narrowing our list by researching the programs and knocking off places that don’t have what dd is looking for, like

Location—not too far from home. Everything West of the Mississippi got the chop.

Academics—quality academics and the opportunity to take liberal arts and sciences classes.

Program—emphasis on contemporary and a strong choreography track.

Our list is still too long but we’re working on it!
josiemn

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Such a great question! I too have an early high school student who is starting to think about college for dance. Academics (likely business as a second major or minor) will also be important, and she'd like to be on the West Coast. Contemporary and jazz and choreography are her focus. She will want daily (or close to daily) ballet and performance opportunities. I'd love to hear from anyone who has researched in those areas! (Will definitely grab that magazine next year!)
Dancergirlmelody

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I graduated with a BFA from Belhaven University (MS). A great school with excellent faculty and really strong choreography.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
UCLA has a World Cultures and Dance Program. Also take a look at Columbia College Chicago.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.