Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
NYMomma205

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #26 
100% skip it and no club why a 2 year old would need mascara on? Did I read foundation is required too? What is wrong with a 2 year olds skin that they need foundation?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMomma205
100% skip it and no club why a 2 year old would need mascara on? Did I read foundation is required too? What is wrong with a 2 year olds skin that they need foundation?

While I agree that you could skip it with no problems, you don't wear foundation on stage only to hide skim blemishes. You also wear it so you don't appear casper-like under the stage lights. 
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I have totally decided to skip the mascara! Less stress on both of us. Plus, she has ridiculously long lashes anyway (is it sad I'm envious of my 2YO's eyelashes? [rofl]). I'm fine with everything else. I come from a musical theater background, so I get the need for your face to not look washed out on stage. Thanks again all!
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I say skip it.  No one will notice, plus she is little and will probably rub her eyes or even cry at some point.  I say save the headache.  If when she is backstage and the DT decides she MUST HAVE it, then by all means she can apply it for you.

When she is a few years older, I would try the blink technique.  It always worked for my dd when she was little.

My DD is 11 now and sometimes she goes out with only mascara and no lashes.  Not a single person notices.  She does her own makeup and I let her make that decision for the day however if her DT does notice and tells her, well then she has to go put them on.
Sidhe14

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
We weren't required to use mascara when DD was under the age of five. And when she was required to wear mascara (in a class of 6-8 year olds), it was recommended that we use clear mascara. Clear mascara can be hard to find but in my experience, it is easier to put on, less clumpy, and easier to get off. Also, I only used it on her top lashes.

Given her age, though, I'd say you're safe to skip it.
YetAnotherDanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Can I add a big "Smart Mom!" for practicing putting on makeup with your DD now? Gets her used to it, and helps you with application technique. I still find that I learn something new almost everytime I put on my DD's makeup for comp or recital (she's 9 now). When she was in her first recital I kept her makeup pretty basic. I was given a list of colors and instructions, but I changed it a bit for her age (I still don't feel that a one-style fits all approach works when you have a variety of ages). No mascara, lighter eyeshadow rather than a dramatic wing, etc, powder rather than foundation, and a sheer berry rather than a heavy vampy red lipstick. She looked great and honestly, no one else noticed. Even now, I make adjustments for her comp makeup, which does have to be a bit more uniform. We use the colors but I just apply it a little lighter than the older girls do. I refuse to have her look like her face was painted on. [wink]

And at the risk of sounding like I'm overthinking this, I also created a Pinterest board where I could pin ideas and inspirations to help me with this stuff. I was a tomboy as a kid, so the dance world is new to both my DD and I. 
LGsMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #32 
For a 2 yo, I'd skip it too. However, I just started using Clinique's Bottom Lash Mascara on DD. The smaller wand makes application so much easier, and since it's for the bottom lashes, it doesn't smudge - BONUS! The mini-tube isn't much more than typical drugstore mascara. It's certainly been helpful with my 7 yo.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: