Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, DD2's 1st dance recital is coming up soon. We received our instructions for her costume (which is stinking adorable) and makeup. Now, I was expecting her to have to wear some makeup. Coming from a musical theater background, I know the importance of not looking washed out on stage. So, her and I have been setting aside "Mommy/Daughter Dress-Up Nights" where I will practice putting on her makeup so she will be used to it come recital time. I try to make it fun by making funny noises, making silly faces, etc. I have done pretty well learning to put on her foundation, blush and eye shadow. I just got some Colorstay lipstick (this kid licks her lips like crazy), so I'm going to practice that as well. But her DT threw me for a loop when she asked for...dun dun DUN...mascara! Knowing how squirmy this child is, I am dreading this with everything in me!

I know this may be silly, but does anyone have some tips and tricks for putting mascara on a toddler? Other than take a strong shot of tequila afterwards? I've heard of putting something like a business card or Post-It note over her eyelid to keep it from getting on the shadow. Any advice you can give to a new recital dance mom about this and anything would be most appreciated!
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
When my dd was a toddler I had her lay in my lap with her eyes closed to do mascara and eye make up.  It also could help if you have her blink while you hold the wand instead of you doing the swiping motion with the wand [smile]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Or just skip the mascara.
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I have them look at my shoulder. It keeps the eyes not too closed or opened. That was what we did at Lancôme (I worked there part time in college).

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm with skipping it...
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
When my DD was very young (up to about age 7 or so) I just didn't bother with mascara even though it was on the makeup list.  
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I would skip it. I remember the first time putting mascara on older dd when she was 7. It was an awful experience for both of us. I can't imagine trying to put it on a toddler.
intdancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I tell her to find a spot on the ceiling to look at, and do the bottom lashes first.  Then I have her look at a spot on my shirt to do the top and then keep them closed until they are dry.  (It's not a fun game, but it has always worked for us.) DD6  is now a pro at having her eyeliner, false eyelashes, mascara, and lash curlers done.  
ChelleB70

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Seriously?!  When my dd first started dancing at 3 make up wasn't even discussed.  They're toddlers!  I say skip it.  It sounds disastrous.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My dd never wore mascara until she was 10 or 11.  Even her first few performances of Nutcracker.  And yes, it was always "REQUIRED".  No one noticed.  No. one.  So my advice to you?  If you really would rather not, just don't. And keep your plan to yourself.  It will be a nonissue.  I promise.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Another vote for skip it.  I think first time DD had mascara was around 7?  It wasn't a lot of fun so I had other Moms do it for her a couple times, then put on a youtube video and gave her the mascara and a mirror.  She been doing great job with her makeup for a couple years (she's 12 now) and helps her friends at performances.  

I can't imagine that anyone would even notice whether at 3 year old is wearing mascara for the couple minutes they are on stage.  No point ruining what should be a fun first for the both of your.

carriesmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I also skipped the mascara with DD until she was maybe 7 or 8, and could fully cooperate with me holding the wand still and her blinking her eyes when I told her to to get the mascara on.  Mascara was on the costume list going back to when DD was 4 and first did Nut, and I never had anything said to me about her not having it on.

For the other makeup I used to sit down and have her lay on her back with her head in my lap, and eyes shut, while I did her face.  It was much easier that way.
Babz77

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD has always been pretty easy to do makeup on. If you decide to do mascara. I always had her close her eyes and do the top of her lashes. Then I would hold the wand close to her eyes and have her blink onto the wand. Always worked well for us. Even with my horribly shaky hands lol.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We were told to put on mascara as well when DD was that age and in her first recital.  I know that she was very excited to wear the make up and didn't balk at any of it, but I'm virtually positive that I omitted the mascara part.  I thought it was ridiculous.
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Have an older dancer put it on for you. My thirteen year old DD does a lot of mascara for younger girls during recital.  They wiggle and refuse for their Moms, but when Miss. Mackenzie (who assists in many of the little girl classes) offers to do it for them they are in awe and always sit still! Never underestimate the power of the "big" girls, and really my daughter is always very flattered to be asked to help because older girls helped her when she was a little one.[smile]
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don't think I did mascara before 6.

I did try to put it on my son at age six and it was a nightmare. He tolerated one eye, but on the other side he panicked, closed his eye on the wand, and then reached up to rub his eye. Mascara everywhere!! Now he doesn't get it. Oh, well!!

My comp daughter uses fake lashes instead, which I love much more, but my oldest is blonde so I glob the stuff on her eyes. But she was older when we started that.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I don't think I have ever had a problem putting mascara on my dd. She would watch me every morning putting on 'my pretties' and she would want her turn. So I would pretend to put it on. I would put the lid back on and touch her eyelashes with the closed mascara so not to make a mess. She had the feeling of it touching her lashes without the mess, maybe that helped?? But when she danced at 5-6. I had no issues. Even the fake eyelashes at 9. Her only concern was that I didn't put them on straight enough.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Option 1: have her focus on something in one direction and come in with the wand from the other direction to do a quick and simple application.

Option 2: have someone else do it... They are always better when someone else applies. My wife does buns and fake eyelashes for other kids all the time. Takes some of the mother daughter dynamics away.

Option 3: skip it. If it's one dance they probably won't notice and she'll be cute as a button anyway!
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
As another poster suggested, have one of the "big" girls do it or even another mom.  My friend's daughter threw full out tantrums whenever she tried to put on any eye makeup.  But, when I asked her if I could do it, she readily agreed and patiently sat for however long it took.  Make her part of the process and have her "choose" the color of eyeshadow.

At this age, you can always just skip it too! My advice though is to just do it.  Never ask for "permission" for this kind of thing. It is just asking for drama!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Applying mascara was hard because my DD's lashes were short.

I skipped mascara and just did thick eyeliner. It was quicker and her eyes didn't look washed out. We still struggle with mascara to this day lol. Thank god my DD10 prefers false lashes. Mascara bothers her more than anything so she would keep rubbing her eyes…and get raccoon eyes. I would also see if your DD2 has sensitive eyes and how close you can put makeup around her eyes.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Just skip it!  Omg she is 2.  Totally unnecessary.  The audience will be enthralled with how cute she is. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Honestly I would skip it.  Use a little blush and a little lip gloss so she doesn't get washed out by the lights but don't worry about the mascara
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Awwww - two-year-olds at recital! I just love watching the "littles"!

Have her close her eyes and place a tissue just under her lower lashes and apply a little mascara. Leave the tissue there, have her open, put the wand by her eye and have her blink. Try sitting on the couch with her head in your lap for this.

If that won't work, try having an older dancer do it.

If none of that works, skip it. She is two. The adorableness will bounce off the stage.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
DD's studio didn't require makeup until the girls were in company.  Mascara on a 2 year old is ridiculous and there is no way I would do it!
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJK2dance
As another poster suggested, have one of the "big" girls do it or even another mom.  My friend's daughter threw full out tantrums whenever she tried to put on any eye makeup.  But, when I asked her if I could do it, she readily agreed and patiently sat for however long it took.  Make her part of the process and have her "choose" the color of eyeshadow.

At this age, you can always just skip it too! My advice though is to just do it.  Never ask for "permission" for this kind of thing. It is just asking for drama!

One of the dance moms on our team said it should be against the rules to do your own kid's makeup; this was after several of us were complaining about how our kids were giving us a lot of grief while putting it on but would sit perfectly still for another mom.  She did my daughter's makeup at the last comp.  My daughter has very sparse eyelashes and mascara just doesn't work.  False eyelashes are required so I've worked hard at learning to put them on.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: