Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Reading and hearing so much positive about this school. Can you tell me what your kids love about it? It seems so small but DD seems to think small is better. More attention? Better training? Please share.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My DD loved it when she visited in the summer, but then, after this weekend, she can't see herself anywhere else and is SO excited to go there in the fall. I think observing the classes is what sold her. Not only were the classes great (she observed a Modern I and a Ballet V), but she could see that the teachers were genuinely concerned, interested, and invested in each student. It was very much a close knit feel that she really loved.

I can't really say much more than that because she's not a student yet... She's just had the visit/observations and then her audition was yesterday. But she's sold, and all her friends that are there love it. I have yet to hear of one student there that doesn't love it. I mean, there's no one place for everyone, so I'm sure there are people out there with a different experience, but DD is pretty much already decided. She has one more audition and the financial aid packets that she's still waiting on, but there's not much that I can see preventing her from choosing Marymount.
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
That is so wonderful to hear. I also love the upper east side location of marymount. She didn't sit in on any classes. I would love for her to be head over heels like that. My girl is keeping her thoughts to herself for now. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD has been overwhelmed, quite honestly, with the whole decision making process... Until this past weekend. I mean, she'd visited the school before, so she already knew what the buildings were like and the standard campus tour stuff, and she still wasn't sure what she wanted to do. But something happened during the class observation and the auditions that made her know... This is it... This is where I want to go. The only audition left is Juilliard, and she doesn't expect to get in there, but if she did she still thinks Marymount would be her first choice.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
". But something happened during the class observation and the auditions that made her know... This is it... This is where I want to go. ".

This!!! This is exactly what means the most. That's why this is all not a one size fits all process. People who get that feeling of "this is where I belong" and trust their gut feeling are typically going to be happy with that choice. You just have to throw out all of the well meaning advice people give about what they think is best and go with your dancers instinct.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:
". But something happened during the class observation and the auditions that made her know... This is it... This is where I want to go. ".
This!!! This is exactly what means the most. That's why this is all not a one size fits all process. People who get that feeling of "this is where I belong" and trust their gut feeling are typically going to be happy with that choice. You just have to throw out all of the well meaning advice people give about what they think is best and go with your dancers instinct.

You're absolutely right.  For some reason Marymount isn't even what I was hoping she'd choose.  I liked Point Park because I liked the campus and how the housing is right there and I don't have to worry about her running around NYC (the upper classman dorms are quite a distance from the school at Marymount).  I like Ailey because I knew that had been a dream of hers for a long time and I thought it would be a great opportunity for her (not to mention it's the cheapest option!  LOL).  But to hear her talking this weekend... to be so sure, for the first time in this entire process, that that's where she wanted to go... I knew that's where she needs to be.  So now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the financial packet comes back with a decent award amount!  LOL
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We like their selection of BA programs. In the BFA, their modern classes appear very thorough and there is a choreography concentration. An outstanding student from our studio is currently a senior choreography major, and he absolutely adores it. At the parent talk, they spent a lot of time emphasizing that they pride themselves on finding students who are the right fit. This is clear by the amount of time they spend on auditions. DD doesn't mind that dorms are a 15 minute walk.

diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter is a student at Marymount. She is happy there.  I agree with Psmom, If a student does get "that feeling" and everything simply clicks, that is a huge sign! 
My daughter and I went through his process with lots of questions and mixed feelings about several schools on her list. She had her heart set on one school. In her mind, Marymount would be OK if the top choice wasn't an option. It is difficult to compare EVERYThing to ONE school. I didn't think her dream school would give her the best training for her needs. But she wouldn't discuss that. For whatever reason it is difficult to find info on Marymount, no one really talks about it.

I do remember taking note of how bubbly, elated, and genuinely Happy she was when she came out of the Marymount audition class, before callbacks. This was the first time that had happened. So I promised myself to keep track of where she looked absolutely happy after the audition class. This only happened at 3 (out of 8) auditions. Not necessarily at her dream school audition. I remember walking away from the other 2 thinking, "oh my,what if this is her favorite school?" we had not toured/observed at either of them, they were the most expensive! In the end these were the 3 schools we had to consider, 2 acceptances and one waitlist. It's been a bitter sweet year for us, because she did get accepted into 2 BFA programs. But when we observed at the other program-thats where it all clicked and she fell in love! She loved the way they moved! In the end the money did not come together and she went into Marymount very uncertain if she would stay there. I wish she had been more open minded and not been comparing everything to her dream school (that she did not get into). She has decided to stay at Marymount! She seems very happy and I love the instruction she is getting there. Even though she is a gifted academic student that is not where she wants to put her time and energy. The balance at Marymount seems to be working for her. Not saying it isn't challenging, it probably can be if you want it to be. TBH there were some things that felt quirky and unorganized at Marymount, but we have just learned to deal with that. In the end I feel like she is getting the training she needs the most and where she was lacking the most. I love the detail explanations given in dance classes. They are actually teaching and explaining what,why and how things work. Not just, do this. It is small and she had to get used to everyone knowing everyone, because she came from a huge high school. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer them. My daughter was also reserved and quiet through this process. The fear of not getting in anywhere is real! She also did not have the support of other dancers going through this. 

Jojosdancemom 
Congrats to you and your daughter on all of her acceptances and knowing what she wants! That makes life so much easier! 
Did she get any academic merit money with her academic acceptance? That helps! When will you get audition results from Marymount??? 

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
There is a girl from our studio that is a freshman in their dance program this year.  She came home for Christmas and I asked her a lot of questions about the program.  She really, really likes it.  She talked a lot about the nuances of classes and warm-ups verses our studio and our PAHS, so it probably wouldn't be all that interesting for you.  She got her scholarship through NYCDA and she said a lot of kids she knows are from that convention.  It just sounds like a good solid and creative program with high expectations.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglass
It is small and she had to get used to everyone knowing everyone, because she came from a huge high school. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer them. My daughter was also reserved and quiet through this process. The fear of not getting in anywhere is real! She also did not have the support of other dancers going through this. 

Jojosdancemom 
Congrats to you and your daughter on all of her acceptances and knowing what she wants! That makes life so much easier! 
Did she get any academic merit money with her academic acceptance? That helps! When will you get audition results from Marymount??? 

I can see how the bolded could be a concern... especially for this year's freshman class.  My DD knows half the kids in the freshman BFA class at Marymount this year... and they all know each other (she said they where so funny to watch at NYCDA Nationals 2015... not in a bad way, they did everything together the entire week and a half. LOL), so when you're used to a big school that can be an huge adjustment.  But the fact that the school is small is part of what appealed to DD, because it allows the teachers to really devote themselves to each student.

Yes, DD did get academic merit money... so that's good, but it's nowhere near the money she's been awarded by the other schools.  So the financial aid packet from Marymount is going to be highly anticipated!  LOL  I think the acceptance letters go out within 2-3 weeks of the audition for those kids who are already accepted academically.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
There is a girl from our studio that is a freshman in their dance program this year.  She came home for Christmas and I asked her a lot of questions about the program.  She really, really likes it.  She talked a lot about the nuances of classes and warm-ups verses our studio and our PAHS, so it probably wouldn't be all that interesting for you.  She got her scholarship through NYCDA and she said a lot of kids she knows are from that convention.  It just sounds like a good solid and creative program with high expectations.

The bolded is funny... DD said at the interview portion of the audition they asked her if she was an NYCDA kid!  LOL
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglass
It is small and she had to get used to everyone knowing everyone, because she came from a huge high school. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer them. My daughter was also reserved and quiet through this process. The fear of not getting in anywhere is real! She also did not have the support of other dancers going through this. 

Jojosdancemom 

I can see how the bolded could be a concern... especially for this year's freshman class.  My DD knows half the kids in the freshman BFA class at Marymount this year... and they all know each other (she said they where so funny to watch at NYCDA Nationals 2015... not in a bad way, they did everything together the entire week and a half. LOL), so when you're used to a big school that can be an huge adjustment.  But the fact that the school is small is part of what appealed to DD, because it allows the teachers to really devote themselves to each student.

Yes, DD did get academic merit money... so that's good, but it's nowhere near the money she's been awarded by the other schools.  So the financial aid packet from Marymount is going to be highly anticipated!  LOL  I think the acceptance letters go out within 2-3 weeks of the audition for those kids who are already accepted academically.

Think it would be worth going to NYCDA and see if she can snag some scholarship money from them there?  The girl from our studio didn't get a full ride, but almost.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:

Think it would be worth going to NYCDA and see if she can snag some scholarship money from them there?  The girl from our studio didn't get a full ride, but almost.

Oh yeah, she's definitely going.  That's her studio's nationals.  She got a scholarship to Pace from NYCDA this past summer, so she'll try again for some Marymount money, or for some NYCDA Foundation money.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yeah, she's definitely going.  That's her studio's nationals.  She got a scholarship to Pace from NYCDA this past summer, so she'll try again for some Marymount money, or for some NYCDA Foundation money.

I hope they remember her from her audition and shower her with some cash.
diglass

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Quote:
originally posted by JojosDanceMom
I can see how the bolded could be a concern... especially for this year's freshman class.  My DD knows half the kids in the freshman BFA class at Marymount this year... and they all know each other

Thanks Jojosdancemom! That explains a lot. It can be intimidating to try to hang out with kids who have known each other for years already.

Wish we had known the benefits of college scholarships from dance conventions. Just wasn't a big thing here when my daughter started dancing. 
hoping it all works out for your daughter!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I feel like every senior dancemom I know is waiting on scholarship conversations to start!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: