Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
tutuswithouttears

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Well, competition season is starting up again and my DDs are replenishing their makeup bags. This year, I've decided to do my research so I don't spend $80 on products that aren't worth it or that DDs don't know how to use.
1. Older DD's foundation tends to look very cakey, probably because her skin is usually dry. Right now, we've found a primer that she likes, but her current foundation isn't doing the trick. She has the Covergirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying foundation that I'm pretty sure has been discontinued. Any suggestions?
2. Anti-feather lipliner. Both DDs are pretty pale and red lipstick tends to feather out and look smudged very quickly. We've seen anti-feather lipliner at CVS and are wondering if it really works and if it's worth it.
3. Fake eyelashes. Looking for the best brand for beginners. SO has decided the whole comp team needs fake eyelashes. Honestly, I'm surprised we didn't need them before now. However, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Can anyone recommend a brand?
4. Eyebrows... Ugh. I haven't even figured my own eyebrows out yet, so the fact that DDs are freaking out about their own eyebrows is verrry stressful. Younger DD is a very light brunette and I'm struggling to find a cheap eyebrow pencil/gel/something that matches her hair color. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I am going to suggest some higher end brands which tend to work better.

1.) Foundation- This is tricky and really up to your DDs' needs. My daughter uses Missha BB Cream but she is extremely fair. She also has dry skin. Currently using their pearl primer which has been a huge hit.

2.) Ozone Lip Liner by Urban Decay. Love this pencil and you don't need to work about color matching.

3.) For beginners go strip lashes and go cheap IMO. Some will be lost as you play around with them. I suggest ELF eyelashes paired with a better glue such as Ardell.

4.) If your daughters are into waxing I suggest going to a Brow Bar at Ulta and they will help you sort out what you need as well as create a great shape. Benefit Brow products are amazing.

Hope that helps!
3dancermommy

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm going to go the opposite as Becca and suggest the cheaper versions lol! 

1. I think my DD uses the same foundation as yours. They changed the look and the numbers but essentially its the same thing. She does uses a primer from bare essentials and then uses their powders over the foundation. Also uses their "warmth" over that.

2. Don't have suggestions for lips because our studio has their lipstick color requirement.

3. I also suggest elf for fake lashes. Super cheap and is just as good. Mine uses a pair for the weekend then trash it.

4. For eye brows Elf has this cakey eye liner with a little brush. I find it that it works really well for eye brows too. Just dab a little of the color and use the little brush to fill in. My dd waxes her brows then fill in to make it darker.

hope this helps!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Speaking of ELF, one of our local malls now has an ELF store!  Super cheap and the employees where very helpful. Not as big of a deal if you buy something there for $3 or $4 and it doesnt work well. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I kept buying the wrong foundation for my daughter so eventually I went into Ulta and asked for help.  Our eye makeup, blush, lipstick and false lashes are all dictated by the studio.  My daughter's makeup costs more than anything I've bought for myself in years (they wear cheap lipstick but Urban Decay eye makeup).
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Foundation: my dd used revlon last year but we are going to try something better. There is a whole thread on this here somewhere. I use Mary Kay primer, it's amazing.

Lashes. We use ardell strip lashes and glue.

Lips: I am seriously thinking of trying lipsense!! My sister became a rep and is swearing this is what we need for the dancers.

Lpr3

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
On the cheap end, we found Revlon color stay at the drug store is AAAAmazing.  Lasts all day with one application.  Really dries the lips out, so remove with a liquid make up remover and make sure she puts on chapstick afterwards.  Also, don't reapply.  You can put the clear gloss on again if really necessary, but if you put the color on again it gets flaky.  
dance010

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
For those mentioning LipSense, I have first hand experience with its amazingness! DD used it for dress rehearsal last weekend and I have to say, I am so impressed! NO red lipstick on white costumes, no having to worry about smudging or reapplying. With lip sense, you really do get what you pay for, Our comp season and recital is going to be SO much easier with this lipstick lol. We bought from a friend! Highly highly recommend checking it out.  [thumb]

** In case anyone is wondering, the color we got was called Rhubarb and is a perfect "comp shade" lipstick 
LoveJillyLilly2Dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My Comp bag consists of mostly Younique products
1; Younique liquid foundation, I also use Becca Backlit Primer. My skin is insanely dry and this has changed my game! I also use Bath and Body Works Stress Relief as a moisturizer...sounds nuts but my face feels AMAZING. Go on YouTube and look up THATAYLAA, she has very fair skin and has a lot of foundation reviews! 
2. We use the Younique Lipstain....It doesn't budge or feather it also doesn't leave lips feeling cakey.
3. Lashes- Kiss Blooming Lash-Peony or ELF Dramatic Lash. I also like the Kiss glue with the wand applicator it allows me to coat the lash with just enough glue...that squeeze tube just does not work for me.
4. Again we use Younique eyebrow gel...but I have also used the ELF one too. 
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
1.  Ben Nye cream foundation.  It is super cheap and made for stage use.   Apply to clean skin (no primer) and set well with powder (I like Ben Nye Neutral Set or Translucent)
2.  Never had a problem with feathering, but we usually use a red lip liner rather than red lipstick so it doesn't move.
3.  Allergic to lash glue so I can't help you there.  We just use extra eyeliner.
4.  If they don't need darkening, you can just use clear mascara to groom the brows.  You can also use eyeshadow if you can't find a pencil that matches her hair.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdancemom
Foundation: my dd used revlon last year but we are going to try something better. There is a whole thread on this here somewhere. I use Mary Kay primer, it's amazing.

Lips: I am seriously thinking of trying lipsense!! My sister became a rep and is swearing this is what we need for the dancers.

My bad... my dd used rimmel matte foundation. She really likes it and wants to use again this year.

Still torn about the $$$ for lipsense.

Brows she uses benefit
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdancemom

Lipsense is amazing if you don't change lipstick colors for several dances. My daughter has lipsense that she uses if she doesn't have to change colors quickly. Best thing, it doesn't wipe of she no worry about getting it on costumes.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Our team uses Yoffi. It's great no hassle of piecemealing our make up and it last forever. You can pick your own foundation and eyelashes. We usually like the eyelashes from Bunhead. But we have used the ardell ones. Not a fan of ELF lashes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: