Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
carlz918

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
One of my bestfriends passed away in a horrible car accident involving a few of my friends just 4 months ago now. I recieved the news of her passing during the awards ceremony of a competition. She was far too young to pass and so undeserving, the fact that I was at competition instead of home with them that night still makes me cringe and made me hate dancing for a while. But approaching the coming season we have a competition scheduled for the date that she passed which freaks me out but I am going to push through. To make myself more comfortable I want to do a solo for her that I can portray my emotions in. I was considering a cover of Halo or Somewhere Over the Rainbow since the two songs have a connection to her but I am looking for some more suggestions. I lean towards a flowing lyrical number and I want it to be perfect for her. Any feedback is appreciated
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm so sorry for your loss.  It's always difficult to lose a loved one, but to lose someone so unexpectedly and so young is possibly even worse.  I think Heaven by BeyoncĂ© is beautiful, and, to me, it really deals with losing someone too soon.

crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
So sorry for your loss.
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Madelyn Bailey has a beautiful cover of See You Again by Charlie Puth, which is a tribute to Paul Walker from Vin Diesel, who passed away in a car accident (you probably know the story).  My daughter had a very close friend pass away from cancer two years ago and considered this as a tribute song for a solo. Footprints in the Sand by Leona Lewis is also beautiful.   Though not directly about loss, I believe it can totally be related.

So very sorry for your loss...what a beautiful gesture to remember her by!
madkat101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
How He Loves Us or I Won't Give Up On Us. So sorry for your loss, that must be so hard and you are being so strong. A tribute is an amazing idea, good luck!
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We did a lyrical tribute dance to Beam me up by pink

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
First of all, I am so sorry for your loss, the world will never be the same.

This past season, one of DD17s BFFs had a lyrical solo to Halo. And it was beautiful. I cried at dress rehearsal. Just before our second comp, her older brother took his own life. It was devastating in so many levels. I know you know what I mean. That solo was an instant tribute, memoriam, etc. for him. It was beautiful and appropriate. It's almost like it was predestined. I will always have chills when I hear it.

I'm sure whatever song you pick will be lovely and you will put your all into it. Halo would be a great choice.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
See You Again by Charlie Puth was done as a tribute dance by Dd's dance team at recital in June, 2015 (a year ago). We lost a dancer to cancer the December before that, and the tribute was to her. DD, her older sister, and I cannot listen to that song without starting to tear up.
Danceter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother and brother when I was a teenager, and I think it's such a specifically difficult time to lose someone you love because, more than any other time in your life, death seems like an impossibility. That made me think of this song "Don't Drive Away" by Josh Ritter. I wonder if it wouldn't hit too close to home though.

tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Eric Clapton's Tears from Heaven, a song he wrote after losing his son.  Still makes me cry.

KStover

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD did a tribute to her Dad, who we lost to cancer 3 years ago, to Carrie Underwood's See You Again.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.