Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
2tinydancers

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
When i danced (many moons ago), I loved competing in the lyrical category. When I go to my daughter’s competitions now and see the lyrical dances, it looks like lyrical dance is no longer much dance. I see a ton of contorting and acro. Not a lot of leaps and turns or dance moves. Seems like it’s turned into a flexibility show vs a dance. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It's not just you. At comp this past weekend, the top scoring soloists did more balance/contortion than actual dancing. There were 2 dances in the top 3 without a single turn. Top scoring jazz had quite a bit of acro in it. Top overall studio had girls that had great precision and technique, but very little artistry. 
2tinydancers

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes. I see the top scoring lyricals and I’m left scratching my head thinking, “but they didn’t dance”. Totally different from when I competed [frown]
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Not that contemporary means contortion - but I thought that leaned toward that category instead.

I don't want to start the age old debate about the difference! (which I have asked myself several times!!).

But yes I have seen that, and my young daughter mimics that when she thinks of lyrical as well.  It's certainly what is done in the comp world at the moment.

After our last competition two weeks ago - at least for the minis, I wonder if those types of moves (if done well) can show more technique, then say faster dance moves.  Taking a really long time to extend a leg to a nice pointed toe - is a safer bet then a pirouette these days!! 

I say that in the competition mill of listening to the judges critiques and taking a look how they judge, I wonder if they are sticking to those types of moves.  There is rarely a turn that isn't commented on from our littles to our most advanced dancers.  From basic comments to very advanced comments.  I hope that makes sense. It's an easy skill to pick apart.   

Where as slower movement into stretched positions (again, that also require skill too) but are judged differently.

Again -- just musings about maybe why.  I know my daughter really enjoys dancing in that style.  Her solo is Jazz however, and much different. ..
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Sitting though comp this weekend, I found myself hoping that lyrical will make a come back! I’m pretty much over contemporary. I’m totally over contemporary with blank faces and vacant eyes. Loved seeing the few great tap and musical theater pieces that competed. I haven’t seen a good broadway style jazz piece yet this season - here’s to hoping.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
At our studio our ballet teacher also teaches modern and last year one of our seniors did both a modern piece and a contemporary piece - I vastly preferred the modern piece over the contemp. one for the reason that her movements were so precise in the modern piece and really showcased her skills whereas the contemp. piece seemed more contortion-like and vacant. Her modern scored better too than her contemp. piece but this year due to scheduling she's not doing a modern piece unfortunately.
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
Sitting through contemporary after contemporary dance last weekend, the few jazz and tap mixed in were a welcomed change of pace. I do appreciate the skill that it must take in regards to balance and control, but I just wish that there was a nice balance in competitions in regards to style instead of everybody doing what is trendy. 
2tinydancers

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My daughter is doing a tap solo this year. She’s often the only one in the tap category in her age group which discourages her but I enjoy her doing something different.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We felt like we had some of the only true lyrical dance solos this weekend in the lyrical category- most seemed like they should be in contemporary or open... I love a classic lyrical dance!
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
From what I’ve learned about the difference between contemporary and lyrical, I much prefer watching a lyrical piece. I find contemp to have more acro and contortions and lyrical more dance and emotions.....or at least it should. But what do I know. 😜
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I agree. I feel like I have seen less and less lyrical over the years my daughters have been competing.  THere has been a trend toward contortion, tricks, and a lot of rolling on the floor. My daughter and her best friend are entering a lyrical duo for the first time this season. it is an acutal lyrical dance complete with turns, leaps, and emotion.  It is probobly going to look retro. lol. First comp is in two weeks. We'll see how it goes ...
Mamala

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #12 
I see this trend too and I hate it. It certainly takes a lot of skill to be able to have all of that control and flexibility, but it's not dancing to me. I'd love to see actual dancing take place more than just contort, pose, lift leg and hold it there, pose, etc. And, the problem is that if these types of dances are getting recognition then that means these kids will be trying to force their bodies to be more flexible. I worry about unsafe stretching and these kids overstretching to the point of harming their bodies, just so they can get these extra points for flexibility.
ProMommie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thank you so much for this topic! My DD competed her solo this past weekend and got platinum, but didn't place in the top 10. Most of the placement solos were contemporary( as was DD's) but I saw a lot of posing, tricks and extensions up to their ears. My daughter got an Excellence Award from one of the Judges for Spectacular Stage Presence for her solo, but she gets very discouraged and doesn't understand why she doesn't place. What's most important in the professional world? Stage presence or developes' to the ceiling!?? But at 14 she sees the top teens getting rewarded for tricks and flexibility rather than technique and artistry and gets very down on herself. I wish this trend would end personally.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMommie
Thank you so much for this topic! My DD competed her solo this past weekend and got platinum, but didn't place in the top 10. Most of the placement solos were contemporary( as was DD's) but I saw a lot of posing, tricks and extensions up to their ears. My daughter got an Excellence Award from one of the Judges for Spectacular Stage Presence for her solo, but she gets very discouraged and doesn't understand why she doesn't place. What's most important in the professional world? Stage presence or developes' to the ceiling!?? But at 14 she sees the top teens getting rewarded for tricks and flexibility rather than technique and artistry and gets very down on herself. I wish this trend would end personally.

My daughter recently placed first in a regional competition with her contemporary solo without any tricks. It was all artistry and technique. She had the same solo at YAGP and placed in the top 12.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I have to see I see the trend decreasing in the teen category regarding tricks and more of a thing in the junior and mini category. BUT I have said it so many times, dances and dancers without tricks, etc can and do score well and place. The competition we were at this weekend was acknowledging the dances that were "classic jazz" or 'true lyrical" , etc. over and over... I think we may see the pendulum start swinging back in the future. 

I think what matters more in the professional world depends on what you are doing dance wise... to address that question. 
DanceForFun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Attended Elite this weekend in Methune MA and thought of this thread. So happy to report the return of beautiful, classical , lyrical routines! We saw so many amazing numbers from all studios represented. For once, the contemporary stuff was in the contemporary category and the Lyrical was in the lyrical!  Refreshing for sure after the last several seasons.  
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We've only been to one comp so far this season but the Saturday night program was basically "senior solo that's not jazz or tap" night.  Almost across the board it was the same faces, doing very very similar routines but entered in Open, Lyrical and Contemporary.  

I get that these 16/17 year olds are busy with school and other personal-life issues so there's a desire to not stretch them too far (and yet still collect their money) but seriously ...all you had to do was sit through that Saturday night and you realize that dance as a competitive event may have started it's inevitable slide back to where it used to be before it was "normal" for kids to have multiple solos. Any parent worth their salt would see they're wasting their money on at least one of those routines if not 2.  

And if we start getting rid of these multiple identical solos, maybe we can get back to competitions that were more geared toward groups, that are only 2 days instead of 4, and that start at 9am and end at 9pm.  I unfortunately won't see that in my dance lifetime as we're in final year but I still dream of that day for the rest of you. 

LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We’re doing a contemp/lyrical number this year and DD said they don’t have any tricks in the dance, not an aerial nothing. Can’t wait to see the dance!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
We've only been to one comp so far this season but the Saturday night program was basically "senior solo that's not jazz or tap" night.  Almost across the board it was the same faces, doing very very similar routines but entered in Open, Lyrical and Contemporary.  

I get that these 16/17 year olds are busy with school and other personal-life issues so there's a desire to not stretch them too far (and yet still collect their money) but seriously ...all you had to do was sit through that Saturday night and you realize that dance as a competitive event may have started it's inevitable slide back to where it used to be before it was "normal" for kids to have multiple solos. Any parent worth their salt would see they're wasting their money on at least one of those routines if not 2.  

And if we start getting rid of these multiple identical solos, maybe we can get back to competitions that were more geared toward groups, that are only 2 days instead of 4, and that start at 9am and end at 9pm.  I unfortunately won't see that in my dance lifetime as we're in final year but I still dream of that day for the rest of you. 

I get what you are saying but I'm glad that there are solos, duet and trios at comps.  If not DD wouldn't be able to dance as her studio doesn't have a SR team that's large enough for even a small group.  She is doing 2 solos but they are completely different - one musical theater tap and 1 contemporary.
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
We’re doing a contemp/lyrical number this year and DD said they don’t have any tricks in the dance, not an aerial nothing. Can’t wait to see the dance!
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMommie

Some people value the adjudication and receiving a judges awards much higher than overall placement.  Overalls are hard though. Hard to understand sometimes from the outside what places. And how close the scores were.  Since you'll never see the scores from the other studios - you won't know if it was 1 point that kept her out of overalls or 5 or 10 points.  Each judge (and comp) is very subjective.  And overalls sometimes points or 1/2 points can push one in and another out.  I'm personally comfortable when I see a well executed clean routine in the overalls (I have learned to leave skill out of that comment).  Those seem to score very well.  The real challenge for your daughter is to see if she can improve that adjudication score.  Was that platinum in the 295 range or 285 range?  Have you listened to your critiques?  We have also learned that really giving value to the critiques and changing things that we might not otherwise change has improved DD8's score.  That sentence sounds funny when I write it - but, for example, our latest critiques were about choreography.  They wanted to see more movement around the floor - we reviewed and DD8 does move around.. everywhere.. so why change it?  But we did, we looked harder to see any section that she wasn't "moving" as much in and changed it for our next comp.  She received the highest adjudication/1st place /highest level when we got that comment- even so, we are still changing to improve.
ProMommie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Nyklane
 Thank you for your well written response. Those are all great suggestions.  Unfortunately, our competition director doesn't share the adjudication scores with the dancers or their parents.  Occasionally she will show them the recorded comments from the judges and talk about things they can improve.  All we will know is that she received platinum, but not her total score.  
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Does she refuse to tell them the scores or has no one ever asked? I feel like that's part of what you are paying for. I would ask for them (our SO always gives them to us).
ProMommie

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
She refuses to give us the scores. She says it's for her eyes only and thinks it will make the kids discouraged if they see their scores. 
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
IMO that's just wrong. It's part of what you pay for. And since she got platinum, why would she be discouraged? I could understand if she got a very low score, perhaps, but a platinum is something to be proud of. And at 14 she should be able to handle critiques and corrections (and I'm not saying she's not, just that your SO feels she's not). I hope that makes sense.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.