Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
kattididd

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I noticed you stated Ohio school. My niece attends Youngstown State majoring in dance education with a minor in theatre. She was accepted at Point Park, Slippery Rock, and University of Buffalo, but chose YSU because she can make the drive home to PA twice a week to work at her home studio as a dance teacher and choreographer for the comp teams.
ohiodancer5678

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
@musicmom As an Ohio native, I didn't want to look into Ohio schools either, but some of them really do have great programs!! I would recommend your daughter look into Wright State - they have a dance program, but the dancers can also cross over and audition for other program's shows as well.  I would also look into Ohio University.  They have a really great program too!

I'm currently a senior (Ah!) at Pace and I highly recommend applying for the program! [smile]
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom
Hijacking if you don't mind. B schools in the midwest? Particularly public ones in Ohio? She is already accepted at Western Michigan and is on the fence about applying at Wayne State. Point Park, Marymount, PACE, and NYU are her competitive schools. I can't get her to look at Ohio schools because she says they aren't as good. I think it is because she doesn't know of anyone that goes to them.  Jazz emphasis but does not need a dance team. Academic requirements are not really an issue. Thanks.

A friend's very talented daughter was accepted into the dance program at Ohio State and is extremely happy with her decision. Another friend's daughter is applying at Cincinnatti.  Kent State University has a new head of the Dance Department who appears to be whipping their dance program into shape! (He teaches the upper level dancers once per month at my DDs' current studio.  He is tough, but the girls seem to like him.  It is always welcome to have guest teachers come in to supplement training!)  Also, look into West Virginia.  After having done some research another friend found that W Va looks to have a promising program.  (her daughter has also applied at the other schools you listed!)
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
ohiodancer5678, She has a friend who is at Wright St. and was disappointed at the quality of dancers there. OU has never come up. She is completely against looking into Ohio St. for anything. Super large sprawling universities do not appeal to her.

LJK2dance. She likes Kent but does not want to apply for the dance program there. It is good to hear that they have a new department head. I will mention it to her, but she is pretty resistant to adding anything at this point.
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnellmom
Slippery Rock in Pennsylvania is an audition school and this year is starting with a BFA along with the BA they have had. The cost is amazing as it was less expensive for our dd to attend there, out of state, than any of the in-state schools in Ohio. They were just ranked 16th in the country for dance.  Point Park was not ranked.

Pinnell Mom, how did dd like Slippery Rock? Per your recommendation we are going for the Dec. audition. How was the college experience. The dorms look amazing and I love the price and apparent quality of the dance programs. Any feedback positive and negative or even audition tips are appreciated.
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Thank you, Pinnellmom for the recommendation! DD loved Slippery Rock and was accepted both academically and for the new BFA. Does anyone know who did the ranking where SR is ranked 16th and what weight that ranking holds? Also any feedback about Slippery Rock is greatly appreciated.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.