Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All! DD is a senior and has her heart set on any one of 5 schools. She wants a BFA with a jazz/contemporary focus. Her dream is to be a Rockette. Because these schools are so competetive she is really starting to stress about what she will do if she doesn't get in any of them. She is currently at the Pace intensive and auditioned Friday. During the jazz portion a girl knocked her over by accident. She is so upset because she knows they will only accept about 28 incoming students this year. She is afraid the judges may not have seen the whole thing other than her falling on the floor. This incident and the fact that these schools only allow so many in has hit her like a ton of bricks, since it has now become so real being that she's a snnior. Anyway, her top choices are: Pace, Point Park, UArts, Montclair and Oklahoma City. We want to add more schools as a "B" list so she will be able to continue to work toward her dreams. Any ideas?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Dean?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

It's eye opening to go to cattle call like auditions, isn't it? Dd went to an open call for Disney that was advertised as looking for ballet and jazz dancers of a description that she fit to a T and hip hop dancers of a description that she did not fit at all. Waits the hours to be seen and it turns out they are ONLY looking for the hip hop dancers. Does the audition anyway but was then turned off from those types of auditions. The competition to get into these programs will not end with college. The competition for positions is probably even rougher. 

If the judges only saw her fall on the floor, they would think she went all out and took risks, something they actually like. 

Definitely Dean. Slippery Rock (edited to fix my error) 

Mason Gross/Rutgers seems to have a more contemporary/modern focus, but dd has a friend there who is definitely more of a jazz dancer and is looking to go into musical theater. 

Maybe UMass Amherst? 

notadancer

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Have you considered the dance program at George Mason University?  Also what about Butler?
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
suny purchase (but is also audition), Elon, Goucher, Mulhenburg, Bard.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Are you looking for just more schools or schools that might be a little easier to get into a dance program as a back up? 
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Backup in case she can't get into her top choices
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Also, Hofstra is no audition. And agree with Tendumom that Umass Amherst could be a good back up.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Will she consider a gap year?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Something to keep in mind. Pace actually accepts MORE than 28 students. The freshman class is 28 students. Not everyone accepted is going to attend. It's just like SI auditions where there are tons auditioning and more accepted than will actually attend, just on a smaller scale. 

I remember one of dd's friends talking about what she felt was a nightmare of an audition for Point Park. It was packed like sardines and apparently no one had spacial awareness. She "hated" the other dancers at the audition and felt like she wasn't seen. As a result, she felt as she wouldn't want to go there based on the audition. Oh, and she was accepted anyway. She is one who had never done SI auditions and had never experienced a crowded audition before. 

Anyway, it's really hard to know how these things have gone until the actual response comes. Take a look at College Confidential under dance majors as well. 
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm going to strongly suggest going to see a performance at every school she's auditioning for. The difference between what schools put on stage is unbelievable. I won't list a program here by name because I don't want to insult anyone who might have ties there but it's really eye opening how bad some of them are. I don't just mean odd or quirky I mean awful. If your dd can't see herself in the numbers she's seeing on stage then she's not going to like the program
MSDanceMomma

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
What about Indiana?  Not sure where you are from or how far you are willing to travel. 
SortaReluctant1

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Agree with PSmom! Definitely see a performance. We saw the dance concert at one of the schools on our short list and were so turned off that dd won't consider applying, despite its stellar reputation (and convenience to home, darn).

SUNY Purchase is not a B school. It;s incredibly difficult to get in and the training is top notch. The training is as strong as Juilliard.

Have you looked at Hartford or Muhlenberg?

I'd consider Marymount a less competitive school. But all the schools on the list have excellent reputations.

Good luck!
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I completely agree with seeing a performance.  My DD ended up down to two schools - one large one small with top programs - and opted for the one we saw on stage because she felt connected to it more and enjoyed the work she saw.  Muhlenberg is a great add to the list and doesn't require auditions.  We actually went to 7 schools all around the country for auditions and had the best experiences when the department made an effort to show us work and/or allow us to visit with current students.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Hijacking if you don't mind. B schools in the midwest? Particularly public ones in Ohio? She is already accepted at Western Michigan and is on the fence about applying at Wayne State. Point Park, Marymount, PACE, and NYU are her competitive schools. I can't get her to look at Ohio schools because she says they aren't as good. I think it is because she doesn't know of anyone that goes to them.  Jazz emphasis but does not need a dance team. Academic requirements are not really an issue. Thanks.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
OSU. They have a BFA program, a minor and classes for non-majors. On a side note, their dance medicine program (PT) is excellent. 

I took a look at their website. Applications are due by Nov 1 and there are 2 weekends of auditions- one is this coming weekend, the other in Feb. 

The only other Ohio program that comes to mind for me is U of Cincinnati, but I don't know if they have a BFA in anything other than ballet and it certainly would not be a B list for ballet. 

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Isn't Arizona primarily jazz based?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I do also think Arizona is considered a strong jazz program. I also think it is another one that is harder to get into. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Heard great things about OSU and Indiana.

Whoops....didn't read the B school part. Don't think Indiana is a B school.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Maybe "B" school isn't a good choice of adjective. An expanded list of schools that your dancer would be excited to attend is a better idea. I personally would not have wanted to attend a school for anything that I considered subpar. Having a broader range of options that all meet your needs is not the same as a "B" school.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Maybe "B" school isn't a good choice of adjective. An expanded list of schools that your dancer would be excited to attend is a better idea. I personally would not have wanted to attend a school for anything that I considered subpar. Having a broader range of options that all meet your needs is not the same as a "B" school.

Totally agree with you.
pinnellmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Slippery Rock in Pennsylvania is an audition school and this year is starting with a BFA along with the BA they have had. The cost is amazing as it was less expensive for our dd to attend there, out of state, than any of the in-state schools in Ohio. They were just ranked 16th in the country for dance.  Point Park was not ranked.
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Ball State in Indiana is one we went to.  PM me if that interests you at all musicmom.
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Thank you for the responses. Maybe "back up" is a better term so she has a definite place if she wants to dance as well as being more affordable if it comes to that. I have mentioned Slippery Rock since it is near Pittsburgh. Eastern Michigan is the only school that has reciprocity.
tapstermom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I do also think Arizona is considered a strong jazz program. I also think it is another one that is harder to get into. 

Arizona is strong in ballet and modern,not sure about jazz.  It is extremely difficult to get into so I am not sure it would a good "B" school  A friend of mine's daughter just started at UMKC(?) is in Kansas City.  I have heard its a fine program  and she is enjoying her start so far.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: