Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What’s your take on this? Pros and cons? What’s the point to make peope go through audition when they basically accept everyone. And by everyone I mean a 9 years old that can’t do a proper plie.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Maybe they audition for placement levels, or if there is an audition fee, to make money? 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Effort.  Attitude.  Response to corrections.  And as has already been said, to determine proper level.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Summer intensives at small ballet schools usually go from beginner to more advanced, so even those just starting out would get a placement.  And what Heidi said too; the SO gets a look at effort, attitude, response to corrections, etc.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 

The point of the audition is so that they know what they will be dealing with. Having an audition also makes it easier for them to turn away someone for any reason they desire but still leaves the door open to take anyone with a desire to improve. At 9, they aren't looking for much. Most intensives are not competitive at that age by any means. 

ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD's former school had an audition and 3 separate programs, a kind of summer dance camp for young dancers, an intermediate intensive, and an advanced intensive.  If there was strong interest, the advanced intensive was broken into two levels.  So everyone was accepted to something.  It was also a chance for dancers from the area to come and take a class with the director, see the facility, and ask questions from the staff and parents hanging around in the lobby.  The audition fee was $5 more than the cost of a regular trial class and usually there were two teachers present, one conducting the class, and one observing and taking notes.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm sure they'd deny a kid who came into the audition and was a discipline problem.

Otherwise, it allows them to get started leveling the kids.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
It didn’t cost to audition. The school has a pretty good reputation in the area so I guess I was hoping for them to be more serious on who they accept, even for those at a young age (Starting age is 10 and they claimed to be a pre-pro training program)

Then to know someone who got turned down by our current studio that got in this SI definitely giving me second thoughts. Or I’m just a bit bitter lol thanks for all your inputs.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I'd discourage you from reading too too much into how selective a school is.  Most especially when it comes to the very youngest ones.  What matters is the training they provide... that's what you have to focus on.  Some amazing schools want to offer their amazing training to a wider array of dancers.  It's less about "their" reputation, more about the kids.... so they don't write kids off just because they haven't reached a 'certain' level by a 'certain' time.
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Are speaking of a ballet intensive or another type? If ballet ages 7-8-9 - the skills at that point are very basic and beginners I would assume would be encouraged. At least at the true ballet schools that my daughter has attended and I have observed the qualities that they need vs what they can teach are negligible at those ages. In my comp studio it’s differnent and they have their own method for determining levels and would turn away a younger participant at an intensive as they could be higher level classes. What I like about ballet is it’s not what you come with it is what you can learn. [wink]. Perhaps they have an all inclusive starting program to build their school later on?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
The larger the program they have the more levels they can have.  So that very bottom level is filled with younger kids and those with less skill.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
It’s a ballet intensive. DD is going in next week for the “audition” maybe we’ll take it from there and see...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.